CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » THX announces New Certification Program for Historic Cinemas

Author Topic: THX announces New Certification Program for Historic Cinemas
Bill Gabel

- posted March 07, 2003 11:11 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
THX Ltd., the founder of quality assurance programs for cinema presentation, announced the launch of its Historic Cinema certification program. This will be a category for certification
of Historic Theatres. This first of its kind program will enable owners & operators of Historic cinemas to provide their movie
going audiences state-of-the-art sound & picture experience to match the theatre going experience.

http://www.uemedia.com/CPC/article_5709.shtml

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted March 07, 2003 06:19 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
This is going to be an interesting one. Getting good acoustics for movies can often be a challenge in historic theatres.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Administrator

- posted March 07, 2003 08:36 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea         Edit/Delete Post 
Try a live show in an acousticly messed up historic theatre... it's the reason many pro-sound guys are alcoholics and/or stoners.

Lucky me gets to do a few shows (The Phantom of The Mac Eng) in the, acoustical hell, Tivoli Theatre in Hamilton this coming weekend. Yippee! [Rolling on Floor Laughing]

Mark Gulbrandsen

- posted March 16, 2003 02:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen         Edit/Delete Post 
When I worked for Classic Cinemas in Chicago years ago it was difficult to find an older room that had decent acoustics in it, especially after splitting some of the rooms into several houses. The owners that be decided after many many customers complaints regarding sound to have an acoustician come in and analyze things to see what was needed. They had him prioritize the different treatments and ended up doing quite a bit to these different theatres. It was done tastefully and made major improvements overall in several locations sound quality.
Mark

Darren Snow

- posted May 01, 2003 10:03 AM      Profile for Darren Snow   Email Darren Snow         Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine that the guy who restored the Lorraine Theater in Hoopeston, IL, would have some bright ideas about state-of-the-art sound in older venues; he's supposedly done an exemplary job with his property.

Bill Gabel

- posted May 01, 2003 11:43 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
I was over at the Loew's Jersey last weekend for the Frankenstein
film festival. The theatre is going though a restoration. It was great to see a lot of people in this once great movie palace.
The Loew's Jersey Theatre was one of the five Loew's Wonder
Theatres in the New York area. The picture look good on the screen but the sound just echoed all over the place.

Kevin Wale

- posted December 10, 2003 08:49 PM      Profile for Kevin Wale   Email Kevin Wale         Edit/Delete Post 
Cardinal Sound did the Senator. They are in my area but they are extremely booked. I hope to be able to use them for some of my upcomming ideas...

Jeff Arellano

- posted December 10, 2003 09:09 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I am sure Historic Theatres like the Graumann's Chinese, Fox Westwood, and Cinerama Dome will get certification in the future.

Kevin Wale

- posted December 10, 2003 09:37 PM      Profile for Kevin Wale   Email Kevin Wale         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't Mann's Chinese already? I thought that it had carried over through the years or something. Not sure. Maybe the one in Colorado is or something. :/

Chris Utley

- posted December 11, 2003 10:45 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. Grauman's Chinese is THX certified...been that way since the 80's, believe it or not! In fact, one of the first times I saw a film in THX was at Grauman's. Ditto for Fox Westwood Village. Those two theatres will blow your eardrums away!

Cinerama Dome, on the other hand, will never get certified due to its spaced out global design. I heard years ago that cinema sound engineers used to hate that place and it was their nitpicking which was partially responsible for it's recent renovation & upgrade. Incidentally, the 15 theaters that now sit adjacent to the Dome are all THX Certified.

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted December 12, 2003 08:59 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Ironically, I understand that the Grauman's Chinese is one of the worst-sounding houses on the face of the planet. I've yet to see a film there, though.

Chris Utley

- posted December 12, 2003 09:09 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Grauman's got renovated in 2001 to fix those sound issues. They were actually still screening films in there during it's renovation. I saw "Training Day" there during the renovation and that sound was NASTY!

They finished their renovation later that fall and when I saw the first Harry Potter movie there, everything sounded as good as ever. Ditto for Star Wars Episode 2 in the summer of 2002.

Will Kutler

- posted February 29, 2004 05:16 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler         Edit/Delete Post 
I new about this "new" THX program when it was in the initial planning stage. At that time, THX was working on the then new Century Park Place 20 in Tucson. While they were in town, I made arrangements for them to come look at the Tucson Fox, which is currently under restoration. THX was looking for a pilot project, and was interested in the Fox after they had seen it.

I do not know if there is a relationship between the two parties. At that time, the Tucson Fox people displayed minimal interest, and I do not know if their attitude has changed.

Kevin Wale

- posted October 05, 2004 10:38 AM      Profile for Kevin Wale   Email Kevin Wale         Edit/Delete Post 
A bit of relating info...

While not part of the historic certification thing, the Palace Theatre in Canadian Tx. is THX certified. I drove down there and saw Spiderman II. He's done a really nice job dealing with the accoustic problems. They had to round just about every corner off, add a ton of traps, and accoustic treatment, but it sounded great. They managed to treat underneath the screen enough that they didn't have to sacrifice the hardwood floor, which is nice because if felt great. lol. There were people from all over the area there and it was the 4th of July... the THX brand name is definately boosting his business significantly.

Rob Talley is the owner. He's a really nice guy. The projection booth was clean enough to eat off the floors and the LP270 platters didn't have a scratch anywhere on them. No scratches on the film, no Dolby dropouts, and even the obviously much used THX trailer was scratch free.

http://www.palacetheatre.com/
http://www.aptcommunications.com/images/palakids.jpg

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.