CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Pleasant Hill Cine Arts DOME theatre

Author Topic: Pleasant Hill Cine Arts DOME theatre
Chelsea Simmons

- posted January 22, 2005 08:04 AM      Profile for Chelsea Simmons   Author's Homepage   Email Chelsea Simmons         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone! If you have seen my website, my segment on KRON or my articles, you probably know that I'm pushing a petition to save this really old, (well 1966 but its a huge part of everyones lifes if they've ever seen it) movie theatre. Its a beautiful structure.

Ahh, ok so why am I doing this petition and such right?
Okay well, this theatre, all though beautiful, sits on a valuable piece of property. The Conta Costa shopping center has been neglected for years. Including the dome. The City of Pleasant Hill would like to tear down the whole shopping center, even the dome if they have too- to make it like the ultra sucessful Crescent Drive shopping center. They basically want to clone Crescent Drive. I love Crescent Drive, I think its a beautiful shopping center, but for many reasons, I think they should work around the dome, and rebuild around it. They recently (when they built up the Crescent Drive center) added new seats to the theatre. Isnt that just a waste of money if they tear it down? Besides, if this new shopping center looks just like the other one, but bigger- couldnt it pull business? What about making Pleasant Hill actually have a historical landmark? The Pleasant Hill Historical Society actually put a picture of the dome on their Historical Society afaghan as one of "Pleasant Hills landmarks." If it goes, wheres the landmark? On the afaghan, they're werent that many other landmarks. The Ranch, a sculpture, and a few of Pleasant Hills schools. Thats not that much. This theatre should be preserved as a historical landmark. Please visit my website: http://savedome.cjb.net or IM me at savedome5 for more information.

Even if you've never had a chance to go to this theatre, or you dont live near Pleasant Hill, I ask you to please support my petition. Saving the dome is more than just saving a theatre. It's about saving a form of architecture for future generations, and keeping the past alive.

Thank You

|  IP: Logged

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted January 22, 2005 11:13 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually believe that the new seats and the remodel were done some time in 1997, long before the 16-plex was built across the freeway.

And while I haven't paid much attention to the specifics of what's going on there, I would assume by the Kohl's construction in the shopping center, that the Contra Costa Center is going to revitalize itself quickly here.

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted January 22, 2005 01:17 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Please re-read the FAQ that you were sent with your registration. It was not necessary to post this in four different places on the forum.

Chris Utley

- posted January 24, 2005 12:05 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Why in the heck are art-house films being shown there? That's probably why they deem it necessary to tear the place down. Art-house films aren't the biggest cash draws in the world. I'm sure a weekend of Star Wars Episode 3 shown in that place might cause the powers that be to rethink their strategy!

Bill Gabel

- posted January 24, 2005 03:36 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
Well with that new 16-plex across the freeway. Turning that 5-plex theatre into an art house or a bargain would have been the next step, without closing the theatre long ago. Maybe they were finishing a long term lease. Which is what a lot of theatre chains do.

One thing in the article, stated that this was a Cinerama Theatre. It was a Dimension-150 (D-150) Theatre.

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted January 24, 2005 09:29 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
AFAIK, Century owns the theater and does not lease it. Century also owns a group of theaters that they have branded CineArts, which play arthouse product.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.