CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » CinemaStar 20 San Bernardino Closes (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: CinemaStar 20 San Bernardino Closes
Jeff Arellano

- posted October 02, 2008 06:56 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I didn't see this coming at all, as it is literally the only movie theatre in San Bernardino:

quote:
Print Email Font Resize
SB cinema fades to black
Andrew Edwards, Staff Writer
Article Launched: 09/29/2008 10:17:50 PM PDT

SAN BERNARDINO - CinemaStar appears to have reached the end of its run here.

It was not completely clear what might be in store for a sequel for the downtown movie theater. But on Monday morning a moving van was parked outside and a message posted on ticket windows stated the theater was shut down for renovations.

It's possible - if not a near certainty - that a new company will have to come in to bring films back to downtown.

The closure "leads us to believe that there are financial issues on their side," said Don Gee, deputy director of the San Bernardino Economic Development Agency.

The EDA owns the building and land where CinemaStar did business. Gee said Agency officials had recently discussed ways to ease CinemaStar's monthly lease payments of $82,000.

For now, Gee said the burden of finding a new operator for the movie theater rests on CinemaStar, which can assign its lease to another operator.

Gee said that if CinemaStar defaults on its lease, EDA officials can then make a deal with a new theater operator. EDA officials have had some talks of their own but can't move forward as long as CinemaStar retains its lease.

http://www.sbsun.com/sanbernardino/ci_10595691

Now I wonder who swoops in and goes and runs it....Regal? AMC?

|  IP: Logged

David Au

- posted October 02, 2008 09:34 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
I have read some recent reviews about the theater. It seems like they had really rude service, stale popcorn, and the theater was very dirty.

It's amazing how the previous management could run a place into the ground like that. It looks like a modern 20 screen multiplex with stadium seating. They really chased their customers away.

Since it is the only theater in town, I can totally see a new company come in and clean up the place. Then we can see how a good movie theater is run.

Jeff Arellano

- posted October 02, 2008 10:08 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I never read any reviews on it. But It looked great on the outside still. Plus it has a large sign off I-215. Im sure someone will com e in and grab it (Regency?!)

I just thought about all the theatres that failed in San Bernardino:

AMC Carousel Mall 4
AMC Commercenter 6 (South Sbdo)
Krikorian/Regal Del Rosa 8
Pacific Inland Center 5

At one point, all these were open at the same time. I think the CinemaStar opened before the Commercenter closed. I think at one point, they were the only theatre left in town.

Christopher Crouch

- posted October 03, 2008 03:50 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
It was my understanding the theatre has been doing respectable business; the issue is CinemaStar having financial problems, as a company.

Not sure if he is still involved, but former AMC Mainplace 6/Puente 10/Chino 10/Fullerton 10 gm, Brian Lind, was running this theatre for a number of years. I would be shocked if the theatre fell in to disrepair under his watch, as the one thing he was known for was maintaining his buildings well (he was somewhat of a handy man trapped in a gm's body).

I'm sure someone will quickly step in to take this theatre. AMC and Cinemark/Century are unlikely, REG a longshot, Krikorian another longshot possibility; those chains would be more likely to build a new theatre in the area. I'd imagine Regency or some independent group would be the most likely candidates.

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted October 04, 2008 01:16 PM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually,the Sterling 6 on the north side of San Bernardino off the Highland(210)freeway is NOW the only theatre in town.

Well,damnit! If i were still living there,i'd be going every weekend like i did when it opened in 1999.

Theatre 9,which had elevator access to one of the wheelchair section in the very back of the theatre,was my favorite.

Maybe Rave,Carmike or Muvico could acquire it.

ETA:The Cinemastar website is down too so maybe San Bernardino wasn't the only one to close. What about Perris,Riverside and the Mexican locations?

[ October 05, 2008, 08:14 AM: Message edited by: Richard A Stegman Jr ]

Jeff Arellano

- posted October 05, 2008 08:42 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about riverside but:

CinemaStar Perris Plaza 10

1688 N. Perris Blvd.
Perris, CA 92571
(909) 943-6425

Sorry, there are currently no showtimes available for this theater for the selected date.

Cinema Star Mission Marketplace 13
431 College Boulevard
Oceanside, CA 92057
map it

0 Reviews

No information found for this theater.

David Au

- posted October 05, 2008 11:36 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
CinemaStar sold their other theaters in California to other companies a while ago. The Perris theater is open and run by Regency. Ultra Star runs the Oceanside theater. The Riverside theater has gone through different owners and is now called Mission Grove Theaters.

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted October 06, 2008 11:13 AM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! Metropilitan,which took the original Riveside locaion as they had 2 locations(one near UC Riverside,the other at Mission Grove)and Ultrastar would also make good fits for the Empire 20.

If Regency DOES pick it up,they should keep it first-run like they did for the Azuza Foothill 10

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted October 06, 2008 07:50 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was with Century we went down and did a walk-through to better see if we were interested. It surprised me how run down the place was, just a complete lack of long-term cleaning. On a daily basis it looked like they were doing the right things, but carpet and seat cleaning and other maintenance wasn't being done.

I also found it remarkable that the location is essentially an AMC. Four big theatres around a central snack bar with 8 screens off each hallway. It saddened me to see that the snack bar made for a huge volume (with the fast food like prep lines) had been stripped and turned into essentially 2-3 full serve stations.

All in all I would've liked to been involved with turning the place around because it definitely has an audience who wants to go there, I just figured that there was something on the financial end that made it a No-Go for Century.

Jeff Arellano

- posted October 06, 2008 10:08 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Whats funny, it has almost the same exact design (looking at the pictures) as the Puente 20. The only difference, the upper mezzanie at Puente has walls instead of glass.

I wonder if AMC was originally going to open this theatre. I knew they were talking about a theatre in San Bernardino when they had Commercenter. But I never heard anything else.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted October 07, 2008 12:05 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I wondered the same thing, if perhaps the city agreed to build it for AMC and then they pulled out at the last minute... ala the River in Rancho Mirage and the Bridge being finished by companies other than the original intended.

Jeff Arellano

- posted October 07, 2008 10:05 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
It was originally supposed to be an AMC:

quote:
CinemaStar to Operate Multiplex in San Bernardino, Calif.(Originated from The Business Press, Ontario, Calif.)

Oct. 21--CinemaStar Luxury Theaters Inc. will run a 20- to 22-screen movie theater in San Bernardino's downtown, after months of negotiations broke down between the project developer and a competing theater chain.

Oceanside-based CinemaStar jumped at the opportunity to open a theater in downtown San Bernardino after AMC Entertainment Inc. abandoned the project several weeks ago, according to sources familiar with the project. The city had offered hefty financial backing to AMC, but company officials decided to end talks because they were concerned about overbuilding the ...

Thats all the article I could read:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb5553/is_/ai_n22324088

Also, the theatre opened in 1999. Therefore, that would be the same time AMC did develop the 20plex with the 4 large houses in the middle. No wonder Brian Lind, former AMC manager, took this job. Why not have someone from AMC run a theatre that was supposed to be an AMC!

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted October 09, 2008 09:30 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew I wasn't insane when I was walking around the place. I just kept telling people that it looked like it was supposed to be an AMC, it even had the double sided exterior box office that always seemed to beg "Please! Rob us!"

As for the Sterling 6 -- they were kinda mean to us when we went to take pictures way back when. Anybody know the history of that place?

And further, how come I can't find pictures of the Carousel theatres anywhere? Was it THAT ugly?

Jeff Arellano

- posted October 09, 2008 05:58 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
The Central City Mall 4, later Carousel Mall 4 were your typical shoeboxes built by AMC in the 1970's. The Concession stand was in the front, looking into the mall and you had a long hallway. where the theatres were down.

Look at the Tyrone Square 6 pictures, that was what Carousel Mall looked like exactly.

http://www.cinematour.com/tour.php?db=us&id=6723

The only differences: The concession stand was more towards the mall and in-line with the box office.

Also, the box office was exposed, and not enclosed.

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted October 09, 2008 09:33 PM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
Theatre 1 at the AMC Central City/Carousel 4 had those stupid stairs so i couldn't see a movie in that one because of my wheelchair.
The others were just average shoeboxes like Jeff said.

I much preferred the Pacific Inland Center 5.

Commercenter was just ok. And i just ADORED the GCC Inland Twin for obvious reasons. [Smile]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.