HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Regal Northgate 14, Seattle

Author Topic: Regal Northgate 14, Seattle
Dave Felthous

- posted September 07, 2008 03:00 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
This complex will have an IMAX screen, the first one outside of downtown Seattle in the whole area. It opens next May.

The theater is right across the street from the Northgate Mall, but Regal is calling it the Thornton Place Stadium 14, which is the name of the development it's in. Maybe Northgate is copyrighted or something, but few people are going to know where the heck Thornton Place is.

|  IP: Logged

David Au

- posted September 07, 2008 03:44 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
Regal is adding a lot of IMAX screens. I believe that most of these are not the large sized IMAX screens that we are used to. These will have smaller screens. True giant sized IMAX auditoriums are much more expensive and are much taller. Regal is adding IMAX screens to many of its existing multiplexes by modifying an existing auditorium. They will just take the biggest standard auditorium and replace the screen with something a little bigger. The first few rows of seats will be removed so that the screen is closer to the audience. People who have seen a real giant sized IMAX will feel very cheated out of their money.

Ken Layton

- posted September 07, 2008 09:05 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton         Edit/Delete Post 
Martin Village is scheduled to get one of these IMAX screens. Construction is supposed to start any time now.

Jerry Norwood

- posted September 08, 2008 06:35 AM      Profile for Jerry Norwood   Email Jerry Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Mountlake 9 and Oak Tree are finally toast once the Regal Thorton Place Stadium 14 & IMAX opens. I expect this theater to definitley destroy Oak Tree, and will pull enough from Mountlake to make it a very low grossing multiplex.

Mark Campbell

- posted September 08, 2008 09:33 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
I would suspect that Mountlake 9 will remain open simply because it is in a different booking zone, although not too far away. Some people might prefer avoiding crowds at the mall as well. Oak Tree will surely die a quick death would be a great location for a 2nd run discount house simply because even though the new Regal is coming, this is still an underscreened area of Seattle and the Crest Cinemas proves that sub-run can do well in the area. Perhaps Regency should make a move into Washington.

Dan Roben

- posted September 08, 2008 10:04 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could be as optomistic as Mark is regarding the Mountlake 9 remaining open, but the fact that Regal has not "stadumized" it leaves me to think that the end is definitely near, despite the fact that the I-5 freeway seems more and more clogged with traffic throughout the day.

As for the Oak Tree, AMC will be locking the doors and tossing the keys the day the Thornton Place (what an awful name!) complex opens. I'm intrigued with the idea of Regency coming in and taking it over. I know this SoCal based circuit has ventured beyond the California state line, so it certainly could be a possibility. What's their reputation? From what I can tell from their website, they seem to have their act together and would fit in nicely here.

The fact that the Oaktree has been nicely maintained by AMC, even after all these years, could be further enticement.

Dave Felthous

- posted September 10, 2008 06:53 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
The Northgate area is going to be another Lynnwood if the Oak Tree stays as is. Lowes Alderwood Mall 16 has badly undercut Regal's Alderwood 7. Thornton Place will do the same thing to the Oak Tree. It will be Lowes vs. Regal once again, but with the shoes on opposite feet.

When I was still with Regal the speculation was that Mountlake would not be remodeled pending selection of a Northgate vendor. I agree that its days are probably numbered.

AMC has maintained the Oak Tree nicely, except I hate the seats that Loews put in several years ago. I find them uncomfortable, and it's odd that there are cupholders only on one armrest of each chair. These must have been cheaper than what other theaters have, and perhaps were a reaction to the long-rumored megaplex at Northgate.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.