CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Theater Projects Never Built (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Theater Projects Never Built
Christopher Crouch

- posted March 18, 2009 03:25 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently stumbled across an old OC Register article that reminded me of another AMC project that never paned out. For a brief time, AMC was looking to expand the Mainplace 6. This was at the start of the whole megaplex/stadium seating craze, circa 96'. As I recall, the plans called for something like eight additional screens, for a total of 14 at the site; the newspaper cited a twenty plex plan, but I remember seeing blueprints at a training seminar and they definitely didn't involve anything that ambitious. I'm assuming the idea was dropped in favor of the Block 30.

AMC was also supposed to build a 24 screen theatre in Foothill Ranch, back in the mid 90's. At the time, the proposed theatre was being promoted as the nation's largest cinema. However, AMC pulled out before the project broke ground. Regal later opened the Foothill Ranch 22 on the site.

|  IP: Logged

Jerry Norwood

- posted March 23, 2009 04:18 PM      Profile for Jerry Norwood   Email Jerry Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Regal Foothill Ranch Stadium 22 is an under-performer as far as a megaplex location is concerned....so AMC didn't miss anything.

Jeff Arellano

- posted April 05, 2009 03:10 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
The Foothill Ranch Town Center is a real dead shopping center as it is. It mostly is for the small Foothill Ranch community, and suffers from the fact that you really have to either drive far from the main residential areas in Lake Forest, Mission Viejo, Rancho Santa Margarita, or Irvine, or take the tollway to get to.

The center really gets only its crowd from the industry around it. I work down the street from it and once lunch is done, the center is dead.

Matthew Martin

- posted April 20, 2009 11:21 PM      Profile for Matthew Martin   Email Matthew Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember that Dickinson was going to build a 12 screen all-digital theatre with IMAX in my hometown of Nixa, Missouri. This is part of a plan for a major entertainment complex set to begin building in late 2007 with a Fall 2008 opening. However, the land that Dickinson bought had major sinkhole problems (never a good sign) and the building of this complex was canceled.

In the end, Dickinson bought back the Springfield 8 (from Goodrich, who bought the theatre from Dickinson in 1999) and announced renevations such as an IMAX Digital auditorium and upgrades in the other auditoriums to DLP (so far, one has gotten the DLP treatment and the IMAX is on hold due to the economic crisis). Meanwhile, B&B is currently in development with building an eight-screen all digital theatre in nearby Ozark. It remains to be seen if sinkholes or any other failure of nature will derail that building.

Mike Rivest

- posted October 10, 2009 08:09 AM      Profile for Mike Rivest   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Rivest         Edit/Delete Post 
Cineplex Odeon theatres that never opened

Cineplex Odeon Addison 14 (Chicago area)was to open at the end of 1996 but never open at Lake and Route 355, Marcus opened 21 screens instead. http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Cineplex+Odeon+Corporation+announces+plans+to+build+a+new+megaplex+in...-a017533593

Cineplex Odeon 8th St. Marketplace 16 in Boise,ID for 1997
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Cineplex+Odeon+Corporation+Announces+Plans+to+Build+New+16-+Screen...-a018804951

Cineplex Odeon Family Center Theatre at Midvalley (Salt Lake City) to 12 screens for 1997-8 http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Cineplex+Odeon+Corporation+Announces+Plans+to+Commence+Construction...-a019138342

Cineplex Odeon Atwater 12 (Westmount,QC)
There was plans to expanded this triplex to an 12-screen modern stadium seating cinema for 1998 but AMC scared then away with the Forum across the street. http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Cineplex+Odeon+to+undertake+major+expansion+and+renovation+at+Atwater...-a019335307

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.