CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Theater Projects Never Built (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Theater Projects Never Built
Jerry Norwood

- posted June 26, 2008 12:08 PM      Profile for Jerry Norwood   Email Jerry Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
There are two theaters that have been on my mind for the last 8 or so years that were never built, but would have been in great locations. Both of them were Regal.

Do you remember hearing about....

Regal McWilliams Plaza 12 - was suppose to open in 2000 or 2001.
It was going to be in Bremerton, WA...a new cinema is still needed there. Someone needs to build here!

Regal Westwood Cinema 12 - was suppose to open in 2000 or 2001.
It was going to be in the Westwood Neighborhood (White Center, South Seattle area). Someone needs to build here!

AMC Northgate 20 - was suppose to open in and around 2002 at the Northgate Mall (Seattle)? I think this project is still being looked at?

Anyone know of any other projects that should still be looked at? I know Galaxy Theaters was trying to build a 16 screen in Lacey but the project never went through. Now Regal has the new Martin Village Stadium 16 nearby.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Campbell

- posted June 26, 2008 06:24 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't Regal building a new Northgate Mall plex?

The Westwood/White Center/West Seattle plex is really needed. West Seattle only has the Admiral Twin on the northern end, and I believe it must remain a 2nd run, stipulated by Cineplex Odeon way back when they got out.

On Puyallup, WA's South Hill, behind a strip mall shopping center there used to be a foundation for an unfinished smallish twin. There was a flat area for the lobby and slopped concrete going down either side of it. We used to ride our bikes on it as kids back in the early 80's.

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 26, 2008 06:34 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
AMC out here had a few expansions that never happened, and a couple projects that never happened.

AMC Montebello
Where do we begin? It was originally supposed to be a 14 plex (like Burbank, build 2 large screens on the West side, and 2 small on the east side. This project never came out and the West side lot is now a playground for a Preschool. Then the theatre was to be mega'ed to a new 14 plex in the Montebello Town Center, first as a replacement for JCPenney (which is still there) or as the missing 4th Anchor (lost out when Macy's built a new store there).

Edwards had numerous projects in the OC that fizzled.

Pacific was supposed to build a new theatre in Commerce, its been scrapped.

Christopher Crouch

- posted June 27, 2008 03:21 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
Back around 1996, Pacific was supposed to build a megaplex on their Anaheim Drive-In property. They actually made it as far as razing the drive-in/swap meet and grading the lot. However, the formal announcements, "comming soon" sign, and work came to a halt by 1997; the lot was later sold off (now a "big box" retail development). While everyone speculated that it was due to AMC's quick expansion of the Fullerton theatre (located across the street), I always wondered what the real story was. Pacific had the jump on AMC and a better property to work with.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted June 27, 2008 05:29 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Century was supposed to have built a 12-Screen in downtown San Rafael, CA since 1997 I think. It was on the Century website forever. Now that Century's corporate office isn't in San Rafael it looks like Cinemark finally took it off their drawing board.

I know that Century had tried to get the Northgate project, I think they had a 20-screen planned but the developer went with somebody else I guess.

I'm actually trying to put together a wall in my living room of theatres that were never built. I have a handful of Syufy/Century blueprints and renderings as well as some stuff I've picked up along the way from various news-clippings. If anybody has anything super unique I'd love to get a copy.

Matthew Williams

- posted June 27, 2008 11:45 PM      Profile for Matthew Williams   Email Matthew Williams         Edit/Delete Post 
GCC was to build a megaplex at the site of the old Sears building in Philadelphia (Adams and Roosevelt Boulevard). Those plans were announced around 1999 or 2000 and obviously went by the wayside with their bankruptcy. It was more than just in the planning stages, though - there was a "General Cinema Coming Soon!" banner with Popcorn Bob hanging there for what seemed like forever.

There was a Sundance Cinema planned for University City around this time, too - GCC was a partner in that idea. Again, this was sidelined due to the bankruptcy, but did become a theatre - National Amusements' "The Bridge".

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted June 28, 2008 10:47 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't Edwards part of that project too? I thought they took over after Sundance went out and they too had to stop because of Bankruptcy. Isn't that why the front is rounded glass similar to an Edward's build?

The River in Rancho Mirage was an interesting build. I believe it was started by Edwards, taken over by Resort Theatres. They sold to Regal and I think Regal dropped the plan so the landlord finished it off and got Krikorian to run the place. So it was an Edward's blueprint with Krikorian's finishing touches that Century took over and now Cinemark runs. It was fun with Century watching everybody try to fit a Century concept of management into the building that Edward's built and Krikorian finished. I would have loved to be there when Regal took over that theatre in Times Square. [Smile]

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 28, 2008 11:04 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Edwards was originally supposed to build Los Angeles "Bridge" theatre. Hence why it has the IMAX screen. It was to be Edwards Flagship for Los Angeles. Well, never made it. I think another theatre company was supposed to take over before National did.

Also, The Cinemark at the Pike was originally supposed to be a National Theatre, I beleive If I am right. Cinemark was not originally supposed to run it.

Chris - wasn't there supposed to be a Megaplex at one point built on the old Drive Thru site in Anaheim off State College and the 5?

Dave Felthous

- posted June 28, 2008 11:21 AM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
Regal scrapped its Westwood Village plans when it went through bankruptcy starting in 2001. Why nobody has moved in there is a big puzzle. A huge area with no first-run screens.

My present boss at the indy Columbia City Cinemas talked with Westwood Village about developing a theater in an abandoned Ernst Hardware store, but he was rebuffed; they said they didn't want a theater.

Columbia City, which is first run, draws customers from West Seattle who have found it is less hassle and cheaper than going downtown.

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted June 28, 2008 12:02 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
 -

David Au

- posted June 28, 2008 07:07 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff, the Cinemark at the Pike was supposed to be Crown Theatres West Coast flagship. It was completed by Cinemark, however some Crown Theatres decor is still present. The carpeting and concession stands are by Cinemark, but there is Crown Theatres neon and Crown Theatres coloring on the walls.

Another theater that almost did not get built was the Century 16 in Pleasant Hill, CA. Mann Theatres started building it. Mann went bankrupt and stopped construction leaving only a foundation. It was abandoned for months. Century Theatres came along and finished it with Century Theatres decor. This theater has one of the most extravagant art deco towers that I've ever seen. Who knows what the Mann Theatre was going to look like. The Mann Theatres sign previously on the shopping center was replaced with a Century logo.

If Mann had opened the theater, the huge Century 5 Dome in Pleasant Hill down the street would most likely have closed. However, since Century owned both theaters they kept the dome open as a Cinearts Theater.

There are other Century Theatres that were announced and nothing has come of them. They listed planned theaters in Napa and Sunnyvale. The Napa Cinedomes are still open. When the Cinedomes in Sacramento were torn down, people complained and wanted the old Cinedomes back. Do we really need more shoebox theaters? Some people like the domes.

Mark Campbell

- posted June 29, 2008 08:52 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Columbia City, which is first run, draws customers from West Seattle who have found it is less hassle and cheaper than going downtown.
I live in West Seattle and drove all the way to the Factoria 8 in Bellevue (across Mercer Island and Lake Washington!) for just that reason to see Iron Man. The only thing that would have made me go downtown is if it had still been playing at the Seattle Cinerama. West Seattle needs screens!

Mike Rivest

- posted June 29, 2008 08:58 AM      Profile for Mike Rivest   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Rivest         Edit/Delete Post 
Montreal area:
* Cinemas Guzzo Gigantus 18 in Laval
* Iwerks at the Forum next to the AMC (the raisers were built, but the theatre went bust)
* Famous Players StarCité Longueuil (over the Metro station)(Guzzo built an 14-plex down the road in 2000)
* Famous Players Marché Central in the late 1990's. Guzzo finaly opens it in 2005 (their second try)
* Mega-Plex Chomedy 16 (Laval)

EDMONTON AB: AMC Edmonton 24

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 29, 2008 04:33 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks David! Thats right. Crown was going to open it. I knew it was someone from back east.

The Evil Sam Graham

- posted July 13, 2008 09:57 PM      Profile for The Evil Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email The Evil Sam Graham         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably my favorite dead project of all...

After the Flood of '93 in Des Moines, there was some area that had been wiped out along Gray's Lake that included an old Holiday Inn. Edwards Theatres propsed a 20-plex with shops, much like their Boise development, on that spot in the late 90's.

Somebody had a fit because they wanted to see that area become a big park, and suggested they come up with an entertainment plex in the sagging Court Avenue district downtown (where bars and restaurants have come and gone for years).

Seemingly overnight, AMC proposed such a complex. Edwards responded that they too would be willing to do that. So for months, there was this big debate over which chain would get the right to do this. Plans were drawn and shown, proposals made. Finally, AMC was given the go-ahead.

Of course, with the exception of a building or two being demolished (probably on the city's dime), nothing ever happened. When people started wondering why, the city did this whole "a theatre was never central to the Court Ave redevelopment" backpedal.

It's just as well. I'm certain it would be all boarded up now.

Gray's Lake did develop into a really nice and popular park though.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.