CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Regal The Landing Stadium 14 - 2008 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Regal The Landing Stadium 14 - 2008
Jerry Norwood

- posted June 30, 2008 08:38 AM      Profile for Jerry Norwood   Email Jerry Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand the deal with caring about masking. As long as the picture fits the screen and the apeture plate was cut properly, and there is no keystoning effect, it really doesn't matter. The way the masking moves does not effect the picture.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Utley

- posted June 30, 2008 10:23 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's settle this once and for all.

Would you watch "Ben-Hur" in a Regal multiplex?
Would you watch "Lawrence of Arabia" in a Century Cinedome or one of their stadium houses?
Would you watch "Star Wars" in a room where half of the screen is covered up?

Dave Felthous

- posted June 30, 2008 10:45 AM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
Cinema 99 in Vancouver, WA, has 11 screens, not 12.

Regal's Sumner theater is Tall Firs, not Big Firs.

Sunset Square may have been built by Dan Tucchini (sp?) of San Carlos Theaters, which was headquartered in Petaluma, CA. (Don't ask me why San Carlos). He also developed a terrible 12plex discount house, the Alderwood Village 12, in an old supermarket in Lynnwood, WA. He sold it to Act III, and later Regal shut it down.

Mark Campbell

- posted June 30, 2008 11:21 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to college on Bellingham and the Sunset Square opened when I was there. Very unimpressive. (When the nicest theatre in town is a Cineplex Odeon build you know you are in trouble). I think I saw 2 films there way back but the biggest auditorium seemed rather small. Wonder what Regal has done to it.

Dave Felthous

- posted June 30, 2008 01:03 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
Sunset Square's six auditoriums are the same size. For years they didn't have moveable masking, and scope pictures showed in a strip in the middle. Masking was eventually installed. The worst thing about Sunset is the light bars on the walls, with unfrosted bare bulbs that never turn off, even during the movie. Terrible presentation.

David Au

- posted June 30, 2008 03:46 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops. My mistake. I guess Regal has built some good cinemas in the past few years. Over the years Regal seems to be changing their designs. In the 90s there were lots of Regal Cinemas with those towers in front and lots of neon all over the facades. Then they seemed to evolve into better designs.

When Regal took over Act III and Signature Theatres, I heard that some people from those other chains joined Regal. Perhaps that could explain the changes in Regal designs. The new people could have contributed ideas that made the newer Regal designs different from their earlier designs.

Regal is improving on some things such as the addition of side masking in some new theaters. Regal needs to hire more new people and perhaps it could bring about even better changes in the way they build and run their cinemas.

The Evil Sam Graham

- posted July 13, 2008 09:36 PM      Profile for The Evil Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email The Evil Sam Graham         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The only Regals with personality are (probably) the ones they stole ...I mean inherited through their theft...I mean purchase of other theatre chains.
That reminds me of something funny...Shortly after Act III's assets were merged into Regal, Variety (or maybe Box Office...no, I think it was Variety) did this whole big section profiling Regal Cinemas with a bunch of photos of various Regal locations to showcase how wonderful they were.

Nearly every picture was an Act III build.

Ken Layton

- posted July 14, 2008 10:11 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton         Edit/Delete Post 
Regal's "Tall Firs" theater is in Bonney Lake, not Sumner.

Ken Layton

- posted July 22, 2008 10:18 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton         Edit/Delete Post 
I understand the video projectors have been yanked from the Landing and the place will open with all 35mm equipment.

Mark Campbell

- posted July 22, 2008 10:30 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
When will it open?

Ken Layton

- posted July 22, 2008 08:42 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometime in August is when opens.

Ken Layton

- posted August 31, 2008 10:26 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton         Edit/Delete Post 
Opening moved to October 2008.

Mark Campbell

- posted August 31, 2008 11:58 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Drove by it a week ago and even October seems like a long shot. Took some pictures that I'll send in when I get a chance.

Just a note regarding The Landing's location relative to other cinemas around it. The Tukwila/Renton/SeaTac (airport area) area used to be one booking zone. Now it is at least 2: the WESTERN valley Tukwila area with the new AMC Southcenter and the Regal Parkway Plaza 12 and the EASTERN valley Renton area with the Regal East Valley 13 and the AMC Renton Village 8. However, The Landing is in Renton on the east side of the valley but is 4 miles north of the East Valley 13 and 2 miles north of the Renton Village 8. Could it be possible that a new booking zone has been created? Will The Landing show the same films as the East Valley 13 as well as the theatres on the west side of the valley? Could it possibly even play the same films as the Renton Village 8, sparing its demise? (On a side note the Renton Village 8 would make a good 2nd run house as it has been well kept by AMC since its takeover of GCC and is in a busy area). It will be interesting to see how this plays out as this is definitely the most overscreened area of the Puget Sound region when other areas are seriously lacking screens (my West Seattle is still waiting....)

Ken Layton

- posted September 06, 2008 08:37 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton         Edit/Delete Post 
Projection equipment is being installed now.

Mark Campbell

- posted September 24, 2008 10:25 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Ad in last Sunday's paper announces official opening on Oct. 17.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.