HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Fountain Valley, CA. Theatres

Author Topic: Fountain Valley, CA. Theatres
Christopher Crouch

- posted May 28, 2008 10:44 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
I happened to be in the Fountain Valley area this afternoon and decided to check in on the city's cinemas (the Fountain Valley Drive-In was demolished back in the 80's, but there were a couple of venues that have been sitting vacant for quite some time).

Fountain Valley Family Four - Unless I was mistaken about the location, this theatre was demolished and replaced by a Sam's Club. While I haven't been in the area for a number of years, the Sam's Club complex looked fairly new (i.e. I'm guessing the demolition occured within the past couple of years).

Fountain Valley Twin Cinema - Still standing, but in the process of being converted in to an Asian performing arts venue. Looking inside, it appeared they are joining the twin auditoriums in to one and basically gutting/starting from scratch with the overall interior.

Interesting statement on the fickle nature of cinemas: there was once a massive drive-in, relatively luxurious twin, and shoebox multiplex along this four mile stretch of road; now there is little more than a former theatre left.

|  IP: Logged

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted May 30, 2008 01:21 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
What can we say... Orange County is overscreened in every direction now.

Todd Erwin

- posted June 03, 2008 02:03 PM      Profile for Todd Erwin   Email Todd Erwin         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the Family 4 was demolished, along with the rest of the shopping center, to make room for a larger Sam's Club. The old Sam's Club (formerly a PACE warehouse), was then demolished and converted to the new parking lot.

I miss the FV Twin. They actually did a decent job with their presentations. I was a "shopper" back when the theatre was still operating, and remember shortly after my first visit that they removed a couple of rows of seats to make more leg room.

Speaking of the FV Twin, is that the theatre you are standing in front of, Scott? Sure looks like the old building signage....

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted June 03, 2008 11:22 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe I'm standing in front of the Plaza somewhere near Dallas, TX.

Though the FV Twin WOULD make an awesome backdrop that shows my love of late 60's early 70's theatres.

Christopher Crouch

- posted March 02, 2010 04:36 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like the last remnant of Fountain Valley's cinema past may have folded once again. Back in December of 2008, the former Fountain Valley Twin was reopened as the Star Performing Arts Center. A little over a year later and the Star's website is gone, the listed phone number is disconnected, and the last event I could find dates back to the spring of 09'.

Back in May of 2009, the center and it's operator were sued by Miss Vietnam USA 08' for failing to issue her cash prize and defaulting on payments for the car she won (the Star's owner also runs the Miss Vietnam USA pagent). So, this might have played a role in the center's fortunes.

Kyle Muldrow

- posted March 02, 2010 04:04 PM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they can convert it back to a movie theater again...yeah, right, probably not...not with the Bella Terra and Charter Centre theaters not far away in Huntington Beach.

Christopher Crouch

- posted March 03, 2010 05:12 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
When trying to find information on this venue's current status, I stubbled across an article about their December 08' grand opening night. Despite some impressive festivities and significant media coverage, the event only drew 100 people to the 625 seat venue (i.e. not the best of starts).

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.