CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Pacific Theatres Returns To Glendale (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Pacific Theatres Returns To Glendale
Eric Gieszl

- posted June 02, 2008 10:24 AM      Profile for Eric Gieszl           Edit/Delete Post 
It is an arrangement between the studios and operators. Originally, when the AMC and Edwards in Ontario started playing day-and-date it was only with select studios. Now I believe all studios play in both locations at the same time. The same was true in Long Beach for Cinemark and AMC and it may still be the case.

It really is to the benefit of both operators to play the same product. If Mann pulls a big booking from Pacific then they suffer and vice versa.

However, the studios loose since they cannot play the operators against each other when negotiating the booking deal.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Campbell

- posted June 02, 2008 11:09 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess a case where they would not want to share would be if one operator had a chance of knocking another out of the market. Such might be the case in Lynnwood, WA where the relatively new AMC Loews Alderwood 16 is going head to head with Regal Alderwood Stadium 7. They do not play the same films and AMC Loews dominates. Regal, however, does seem to get the occasional great booking, but they usually spread it over 3 screens.

I guess Pacific and Mann decided not to fight in Glendale. Pacific probably feels it will prevail in the long run. Perhaps they will just wait for competition to crumble and take over Mann's theatres and turn them into an Art House/Move-Over/Overflow houses like they did in South Bay and Sherman Oaks.

Chris Utley

- posted June 02, 2008 04:10 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm (supposed to be) going here on Saturday night to see the new Adam Sandler flick "You Don't Mess With The Zohan." I'll be with my film club so it'll be a little hard for me to spy the other auds unless I make a restroom run. But I'll send my $0.02 on Sunday (if I go!).

Todd Erwin

- posted June 03, 2008 01:56 PM      Profile for Todd Erwin   Email Todd Erwin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Who - in their rightful, sane and rational mind - would want to watch a single frame of "Indy 4" and "Iron Man" at The Beverly Center?!?!
The same people who unwittingly sat through those same movies at Screen #2 at the BIG Newport. [LOL]

Chris Utley

- posted June 07, 2008 11:49 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm (supposed to be) going here on Saturday night to see the new Adam Sandler flick "You Don't Mess With The Zohan." I'll be with my film club so it'll be a little hard for me to spy the other auds unless I make a restroom run. But I'll send my $0.02 on Sunday (if I go!).
I went. First things first - this joint is DEFINITELY TOP MASKING! I pity the poor souls who sat through Indy 4 & Kung Fu Panda with half the the screen disappeared. Yeah, the auditoriums are wide, but the projection & sound are both subpar.

All in all, the theatre - and the mall itself - is "Mini-Grove". And just as overrated as it's big brother, too.

Mark Campbell

- posted June 08, 2008 10:13 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Would Indy have been better at the Mann 4?

Chris Utley

- posted June 09, 2008 09:13 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never been to the Mann 4 so I can't give a fair comparison...

...however, I would have to say "Yes" because, despite their lack of business savvy, Mann Theatres has ALWAYS been known for their SHOWMANSHIP - which this new Pacific has ABSOLUTELY ZERO of!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.