CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Pacific Theatres Returns To Glendale (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Pacific Theatres Returns To Glendale
Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted April 22, 2008 03:08 PM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,i say "Returns" because i seem to recall Pacific picking the SRO Roxy,which,i believe,had five screens,after they(SRO)left SoCal allowing Pacific to take thier theatres.

I think it was renamed Pacific's Regency 5 at one point.

But i do remember that it was in Glendale.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted April 22, 2008 07:35 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Your link doesn't work.

2. Press Releases are released to the press with the expectation of publication.

Chris Utley

- posted April 23, 2008 08:40 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Worked 2 seconds ago when I clicked on it again. Sorry...

Bill Gabel

- posted April 23, 2008 09:33 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
Pacific Theatres operated the former SRO Roxy Theatre on Brand Blvd. and the Regency 1 (single screen) and the Regency 2 (single screen) in Glendale. The five screen was the former GCC Central 5 (which at one time going tobe a Cineplex 4 screen house). An indepenent operator picked up that house for a time.

Jason Carr

- posted May 01, 2008 08:53 PM      Profile for Jason Carr   Email Jason Carr         Edit/Delete Post 
For a few pix of the new theater. Looks kinda like the one at the Grove.
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2008/04/americana_at_br_9.php?o=0

Mark Campbell

- posted May 01, 2008 09:24 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless I am mistaken, the auditorium picture shown on the link shows the screen set for scope, and it is not the dreaded top-down-masking.

Chris Utley

- posted May 02, 2008 09:55 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
That picture looks like 1:85 to me. Tall, yes. Wide, NO!

Bill Gabel

- posted May 02, 2008 10:46 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like Scope to me. Try blowing up the picture and look at the side masking.

Mark Campbell

- posted May 02, 2008 03:20 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
It will be interesting (and sad) to see what bookings Mann will be able to get with this new theatre open. Everything this weekend is a hold-over. I bet it will go the way of 2nd-rate product and move-overs like the Chinese 6 and the Culver Plaza (before they let it go). Any predictions how long they will hold on?

On a side note:
It seems that Pacific kills or handicaps everything in its path:
Arclight Hollywood results:
AMC Galaxy 6 closed
Chinese and Chinese 6: Unfavorable bookings
Sunset 5 - Definitely does not get what it used to

Arclight Sherman Oaks (Pacific Galleria) results:
AMC Sherman Oaks 1 & II - Demolished
AMC Sherman Oaks 3 - 7 - Now run by Pacific
Encino Town Center - Losing art-house bookings to the Arclight

Pacific Culver Stadium 12 results:
Mann Culver Plaza 6 - Becomes independent discount theatre

Pacific Southbay results:
Mann Manhattan Village 6 becomes a Pacific Operated Art House

The Grove results:
Beverly Connection 6 - closed
Beverly Center 13 - Mann takes over operations from Cineplex with 2nd rate and sub-run bookings at first run prices (though priced lower that the rest of the chain).
Fairfax- Laemmle dumps and Regency picks up as 2nd run house competing with the Beverly center.
Regency Showcase - Showcasing regency product now and the occasional 2nd run film
Sunset 5 - See Arclight Hollywood

Seems odd to me that Pacific is actually downsizing and selling off elsewhere when it is such a juggernaught on LA.

David Au

- posted May 03, 2008 12:17 AM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
Even though it has 18 screens, it is only showing 5 different movies this week. It looks like they are showing several movies on multiple screens. Five movies is a very limited selection. Most screens are showing Iron Man and Made of Honor. I think there will be tons of empty seats for Made of Honor.

The photo of the movie screen does look like scope to me. Hopefully several of the screens are widescreens with side masking.

[ May 05, 2008, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: David Au ]

Brad Erickson

- posted May 05, 2008 09:26 AM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Mann is slowly closing shop. They are not adding screens and seem to be running on Auto Pilot. I'm thinking by mid-summer one of the Glendale venues will close with the other by Fall. Perhaps Laemmle will take lease on one and turn it into a Art House, or Regency a bargain theatre.

Mark Campbell

- posted May 05, 2008 01:23 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, when you say closing shop do you mean all together or in Glendale? Also, wasn't Mann supposed to be doing some Arclight type place in Thousand Oaks?

Brad Erickson

- posted May 05, 2008 02:54 PM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
It "feels" like they are just letting everything go and want to fold the chain. I am not speaking of anything I know it is just my gut feeling. Hopefully I am wrong, they run most of my favorite theatres in L.A. I'm hoping they do something in Westwood and end up renewing the leases on the Village and the Bruin. They really belong in SoCal and need to keep thier mark. Pacific and AMC seem to be steamrolling through the area with thier Monster-Plexes.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted May 06, 2008 11:07 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to say awhile back that Mann was trying to sell their theatres to one of the big guys, but since most of their theatres are leased and have no land attached to them nobody really wanted them.

Brad Erickson

- posted May 14, 2008 10:16 AM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
Both Mann Marketplace 4 and Pacific's Glendale 18 are showing INDIANA JONES on May 22. So perhaps Mann will not be without bookings. Mann must have clearance to show films in the 4 plex along with Pacific.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.