CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Pacific Theatres Returns To Glendale (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Pacific Theatres Returns To Glendale
Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted April 19, 2008 10:38 AM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
OK,this is news to me.

An ad in today's Los Angeles Times Pacific Theatres listing touts the May 2 opening of a new 18 screen theatre located on Brand Blvd. at something called "The Americana at Brand"

It's one of those "Victoria Gardens"-type shopping places:
http://americanaatbrand.com

Anyone else know about this or am i late in the game?

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Arellano

- posted April 19, 2008 04:15 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember talking about it here a while back. I thought they were going to build an Arclight at first.

This should totally kill the Mann Exchange 10 just about a block away, and really hurt the Mann Stadium 4 across the street!

I wonder how they are going to book this area.

Dan Roben

- posted April 19, 2008 06:18 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused. I know that Pacific had sold all their operating properties to Reading Cinemas, and I was under the impression that they were going to concentrate solely on the Arclight brand. So what gives?

Chris Utley

- posted April 19, 2008 11:37 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Pacific's parent company only sold the non-Southern California locations.

I knew about this new complex since last year. I was surprised to hear that it's opening this soon. Pacific's (MAKESHIFT!) website sure didn't have any news or reports on the place. I'll get my movie club over to the new place very soon.

[ April 20, 2008, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Chris Utley ]

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted April 20, 2008 09:01 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate it when theatres open right under my nose. AMC did that with Bay Street in Emeryville, CA. I drove past the place every time I went to the airport but nobody had mentioned to me that it was being built. For somebody who keeps as "in the know" about these things as I do, you'd think I would've heard.

So the same thing for that Pacific Theatre. WTF? I blame Pacific's website for being so generic. If it was like any of the other theatre chain sites we would've known about this build five years ago.

Christopher Crouch

- posted April 20, 2008 03:49 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed that many chains seem to have been placing far less effort/cash in to promoting their grand openings than in years past; choosing instead to build and slowly generate a customer base via word of mouth.

I can't say that's particularly a bad financial move, as I never saw a huge return from the traditional "over the top" opening, at the theatres I've been involved with. More often than not, there would be a large crowd for the festivities, but after the grand opening week was over, you'd spend a year or so building up a steady customer base (i.e. the crowds that attended the opening hoopla weren't your regulars).

Perhaps, some chains have realized the full page newspaper adds, radio spots, mass announcement mailings, "three ring circus" productions, etc. don't provide enough long term bang for the buck.

In the specific case of Pacific Theatres, I wonder if it's also a case of them being in a transition period. Having just conducted a major sale of venues and expanding their arclight brand, the Glendale project may have been lost in the proverbial shuffle.

Mark Campbell

- posted April 20, 2008 10:21 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody have an any idea what Mann will do with their theatres? Is this another nail in Mann's coffin?

Brad Erickson

- posted April 21, 2008 08:47 AM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
My guess is Mann will drop the theatres eventually. Perhaps Regency will take the lease on the 10 plex and will make it a move-over bargain theatre. Otherwise, I think it is curtains for the complexes. Everyone will go to the new theatres instead, which always happens. Mann is slowly exiting Southern California it seems; Pacific and AMC are getting pretty much taking hold.

Chris Utley

- posted April 21, 2008 10:25 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Regency will buy 'em both. The 4-plex could easily become another indie/arthouse/foreign joint and the 10-plex, as already stated, could become a 2nd run house.

Brad Erickson

- posted April 21, 2008 12:30 PM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
Laemmle perhaps could even take the lease for the 10 plex.

Chris Utley

- posted April 21, 2008 01:36 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Laemmle grab the old United Artists 7 in Old Town Pasadena, too?

Brad Erickson

- posted April 21, 2008 02:27 PM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
Laemmle took over the AMC OLD PASADENA theatres and renamed them ONE COLORADO.

Jeff Arellano

- posted April 21, 2008 05:38 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Even though it has pretty bad seating, the Mann 4 does have Stadium Seating and decent sized theatres.

I fear the parking situation, the lots behind the Mann 4 and the lots at the Galleria are going to be filled with people who don't want to pay for Caruso's lot.

Chris Utley

- posted April 22, 2008 08:44 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if those other lots will even accept validations from Pacific. Doubt it...

Chris Utley

- posted April 22, 2008 11:12 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Just found the Press Release announcing the opening of this theatre. Contrary to Adam's policy, I believe it is illegal to repost an entire article UNLESS we get written consent to do so. So I ain't taking no chances.

Anyhoo, the release states that this is Pacific's first time operating a theatre in the Glendale area (so the title of the post probably should have the word RETURNS changed to COMES or something like that). It's basically gonna be a clone of their location at The Grove...only the parking is free. No details of screen sizes - just the "huge curved wall to wall" statement that appears on every press release (since this is a Pacific spot, they'll probably be all top-masking).

Speaking of top-masking, Arclight Sherman Oaks is LOADED WITH IT! Saw "Street Kings" there on Sunday on roughly 50 percent of the actual screen. Sound was decent, though...

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.