HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Douglas theaters Q Cinema 9

Author Topic: Douglas theaters Q Cinema 9
Larry Karstens

- posted April 11, 2008 07:57 PM      Profile for Larry Karstens   Email Larry Karstens         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently there were no plans for Douglas Theaters or the new owners to operate the Cinema 9. It has been permanently closed. When I was inside yesterday most of the seats and all the sound equipment/speakers had been removed. Sadly, the easiest way to remove the behind screen speakers was to slash the screens. Apparently the majority of the seats and the projection equipment has been purchased by another theater company.

|  IP: Logged

Matt Lutthans

- posted April 11, 2008 09:03 PM      Profile for Matt Lutthans   Email Matt Lutthans         Edit/Delete Post 
A hearty welcome to my dear friend (and occasional traveling companion) Larry Karstens! Glad to see you on board!

--Matt

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted April 12, 2008 10:12 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the Q-9 -- I wish I had been able to get Douglas to give us permission to photograph, Adam and I used to fly to Omaha for work all the time and I loved some of Douglas' older buildings, really the type of places you could tell evolved over time.

Larry Karstens

- posted April 14, 2008 09:44 PM      Profile for Larry Karstens   Email Larry Karstens         Edit/Delete Post 
By the time I got to Q9 serious removal of equipment was occurring. The screens were all slashed and most of the seats were gone. I tried to take inside pics, but the only one that wasn't too dark was of the concession stand. Auditoriums were barely lighted and my digital camera flash wasn't up to the huge spaces. I will try to see if I can lighten them enough that it would be worthwhile posting.

Matt Lutthans

- posted April 19, 2008 08:37 PM      Profile for Matt Lutthans   Email Matt Lutthans         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Larry can jog my memory a little on this, but I remember that he and I went to the Q Cinema 9 (I don't THINK it was the 20 Grand) to see "Big Trouble." It was playing in a large auditorium, and you may recall that this movie was held back from release following 9/11 because it dealt with planes, explosions, etc., in a comedic way. Larry and I were there for an evening show, and there was NOBODY in the theatre except us. Just out of habit, we found ourselves whispering and being "polite to others," then we realized, what the heck, we can yell all we want! I've never been the only person at a screening before, not even when I saw "Dracula 2000."

Larry Karstens

- posted August 05, 2008 09:01 AM      Profile for Larry Karstens   Email Larry Karstens         Edit/Delete Post 
It has been a while now, but the Q Cinema 9 has been completely razed and is now an open field. I have not heard of any plans that any other chain (Marcus included) has plans for another building or theater on that site. Probably not since the theater building was fairly new and had major renovations to stadium only a few years ago. Besides there are currently plans for at least 4 additional theaters comprising about 30 screens total here in Omaha. Yea - now we will have more choices of theaters to attend but probably no increase in feature films.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.