CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Pierside Surfcity 6 Huntington Beach

Author Topic: Pierside Surfcity 6 Huntington Beach
Todd Erwin

- posted March 27, 2008 12:57 PM      Profile for Todd Erwin   Email Todd Erwin         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I drove by the Pierside Surfcity 6 Cinemas in downtown Huntington Beach last Saturday morning, and noticed that both sides of the marquee were empty.

It looks like this theatre has dropped its curtain for the last time, as showtime listings for this theatre have also disappeared from the major movie sites.

|  IP: Logged

Christopher Crouch

- posted March 31, 2008 01:20 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
The unit now has a "Space For Lease" sign up.

I would suspect the unit will be gutted and remodeled in to retail and/or office space. The "dated" facilities and problematic location would discourage a first run operation; the likely pricey lease would be too much for a second run (i.e. I don't see how the site could work as a cinema anymore).

Todd Erwin

- posted April 01, 2008 10:26 AM      Profile for Todd Erwin   Email Todd Erwin         Edit/Delete Post 
This center was never quite developed right.

If you recall, when this center first opened, the movie theatre was above a live music club, and the theatre management was always complaining about the sound levels from the club leaking through the floors of the auditoriums and interfering with the movie presentations.

Christopher Crouch

- posted April 01, 2008 06:41 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
I stopped by and took a look at the theatre this afternoon. It appears the last operators (I believe Sanborn/The Movie Experience) left the venue in excellent condition; no customary "lets make it difficult for anyone to use" departure. Aside from lacking a staff and supplies, the theatre looked like it was ready to open on a day's notice.

My visit did point out another problem with the location, parking. The underground parking structure is nowhere near big enough for the complex (especially for one with a 2000 seat cinema) and the metered street parking is hard to come by during the Summer and weekends.

Todd Erwin

- posted April 02, 2008 02:27 PM      Profile for Todd Erwin   Email Todd Erwin         Edit/Delete Post 
In the past, both Mann and Edwards validated parking in the adjacent structure, as well as the garage across the street (behind the theatre). Parking was still an issue during the summer months, especially if an event was taking place at the beach, such as a surfing or skateboarding exhibition.

Roger Katz

- posted April 02, 2008 05:52 PM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
a surfing or skateboarding exhibition
[LOL] Only in California! [Rolling on Floor Laughing]

Jeff Arellano

- posted April 02, 2008 07:51 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Roger, this past weekend HB hosted a Paintball exhibition on the beach:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/beach-splats-paintball-2010420

quote:
Paintball aftermath splats H.B.
A crew works around the clock to make sure all the paint is scooped up off the sand, but residents still irked
By LAYLAN CONNELLY
THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER
Comments | Recommend

Workers have been literally getting down on hand and knee to pluck paintballs from the sand after last week's Super 7 World Series of Paintball competition.

But that doesn't mean everyone gets out clean. One Register reader called in after he ran over a bunch of pellets this morning, leaving splats of orange around his tires and bumper.

Click here to read about the mess, and what it takes to get the beach back to normal.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.