CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Star-Vu Drive In (Costa Mesa)

Author Topic: Star-Vu Drive In (Costa Mesa)
Todd Erwin

- posted March 10, 2008 08:31 AM      Profile for Todd Erwin   Email Todd Erwin         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know what is going on with the Star-Vu drive-in?

Did they just shut down for the winter, or are they closed for good?

|  IP: Logged

Chris Utley

- posted March 10, 2008 08:47 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
I know one of the owners and play email tag with her quite often. She says that their initial location on the Fairgrounds wasn't working out for them. They got caught up with the Cirque de Soleil events and other events that interfered with their film presentation. They're looking to find another spot on the grounds that will enable them to run their shows without interference.

Kyle Muldrow

- posted March 10, 2008 07:31 PM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They're looking to find another spot on the grounds that will enable them to run their shows without interference.
I wonder why it's taking so long for them to decide this. Any idea where the new spot will be and when they plan to be up and running again?

I'm a little worried about this place. I went several times last year and enjoyed it, but the colder-than-normal...and windier-than-normal...nights in Nov and Dec really hurt them. I really hope they can make this a good year.

Chris Utley

- posted March 12, 2008 12:14 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
As much as I'm rooting for them, their mandatory July shutdown is gonna kill them. They'll be missing out on $$$ from Disney/Pixar's "Wall-E" as well as "The Dark Knight" (the Batman Begins sequel).

I emailed the owner again asking for an update. When I hear something, y'all will!

Chris Utley

- posted March 21, 2008 06:13 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Bad news, folks.

Star-Vu's gone for good. Stay tuned for updates.

Kyle Muldrow

- posted March 22, 2008 07:54 AM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw an email on the Yahoo Drive-In group from a guy who says he's been contacted about tearing out equipment for the drive-in...this is really sad. I was really hoping that place could make it work. The guy on the Yahoo Drive-In group said the owner is willing to let someone else take the equipment, most of which is still under warranty.

I'm sure there are some people on this form that will hit us with "I TOLD YOU SO!" posts...OK, maybe you were right...but I would still like to see a drive-in make it in the OC...any ideas where else this thing could be located so it could have a chance? And what else they could do, such as more than one screen or something else?

This hurts...

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted March 22, 2008 11:03 AM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
Not gonna go the "I told you so" route. But,i will say this:

Maybe if they'd mapped out a more permanent location other than the parking lot of the OC fairgrounds. Shutting it down,rather than relocating it,during the fair was a waste of time. Not to mention a loss of major revenue that could have made had a "Plan B" been in place.

Of course,crappy weather last year didn't help.

But,who knows? Maybe there will be someone who will be able to make it work on a permanent basis.

Planning is one of the key ingredients to success.

If you don't have one(or,in this case,more than one)in place,you're doomed to fail.

The Star-Vu is just another example of that.

Kyle Muldrow

- posted March 22, 2008 11:38 AM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Good points all around, Richard. I agree the Star-Vu management should have had a backup plan for when the fair took place. As my good friend Chris already mentioned, missing the summer blockbusters really hurt them. Also, Chris kept telling the management to invest in the TechnaLight projection system, but they never did it. That had an effect on their presentation and might have overcome the problems when another event caused parking lights to obscure the screen. To my knowledge, every other drive-in in the Los Angeles area uses TechnaLight (don't know about San Diego) and it makes all the difference in the world.

I also agree the weather hurt them last year too. Here's a perfect example: My wife and I went to the Star-Vu to see Enchanted in late November/early December. It was an incredibly windy night and, about 30 minutes into the movie, the inflatable screen was blown over onto the ground!! After a 30 minute delay, the movie was cancelled and refunds had to be given out. I also believe it was this same night their computers went out, which had an effect on ticketing, but mostly on the concession stand. It seems no one had a printed list of prices in the concession stand and the workers were telling people they had to wait until the computers came back up to make change. I'm no expert in retail, but that's inexcusable.

Thanks for your insights, Richard. Based on other posts I've seen from you, I know you're a drive-in fan and wanted Star-Vu to succeed. I really hope your prediction comes true and someone will be able to pull this off.

Christopher Crouch

- posted March 24, 2008 02:48 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
That's unfortunate.

Sadly, I can't think of another Orange County property that wouldn't have the same issues attached. The value of/demand for such plots would make any sort of permanent venue next to impossible. If one were to utilize rotating sites, you'd run in to a problem with establishing a stable customer base. At best, I could see it as a semi annual "special event", but I doubt that would be financialy feasible for them.

There is the area around the old El Torro base and dorment blimp hangers. However, the politics and pre existing usage battles would probably be a huge headache to deal with.

Todd Erwin

- posted March 24, 2008 10:55 AM      Profile for Todd Erwin   Email Todd Erwin         Edit/Delete Post 
Christopher Crouch has a good idea, to re-locate the drive-in at the Great Park in Irvine (at the old El Toro Marine Base). While it may not work as a "drive-in," there is the possibilty of being a nice outdoor theatre during the warmer months.

Kyle Muldrow

- posted March 24, 2008 11:03 AM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought that area would be perfect for a drive-in, although the cleanup costs would be out of this world, since you would have to bargain with the US Government. That could definitely work though...

Eric Gieszl

- posted March 31, 2008 10:41 PM      Profile for Eric Gieszl           Edit/Delete Post 
"I told you so."

However, I'm not going to rag on all of you despite the fact that you all blasted me a year ago when I said basically it would fail.

It was a bad idea. Relocating is not going to make it work.

Chris Utley

- posted April 01, 2008 08:04 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
The Mighty Giezel has spoken. We humbly bow at your feet!
[bow down]

To throw some salt on your doomsday prophecy, it wasn't empty lots at the back end of summer that did them in, dude (I should know...I either sat in or drove past their decidedly NON-EMPTY LOTS in the dog days of summer!). Location alone was the culprit. Between Cirque de Soliel, weekend go-kart racing, the Fairgrounds lot not being cleared off in time for them to set up shop ever night, and the BIG ONE: Losing the entire month of July due to the Fair itself.

The concept was right. The idea was superb. They just need the right location so this idea & concept is free to breathe on it's own without interference.

Eric Gieszl

- posted April 11, 2008 11:23 AM      Profile for Eric Gieszl           Edit/Delete Post 
Chris respectfully I disagree. I think the interest would be there for about three to four months of the year and even then it would vary depending on the product on the screen.

Southern Californians for the most part are over the drive-in. It's a nostalgic place to visit, but it is something very few would consider going to on a regular basis.

If Star-Vu had operated a full-year without interruption I think the reality would really set in and we'd have a very interesting discussion. The typical slow periods in the multiplex I think would be dead slow at a single screen drive in.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.