HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Regency Aquires Three Theatres

Author Topic: Regency Aquires Three Theatres
Christopher Crouch

- posted February 29, 2008 11:09 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
Regency Theatres recently picked up the Perris 10 (former Cinemastar) in Perris, Ca. and Santa Paula 7 (former Wallace) in Santa Paula, Ca. This morning (2/29), the Rancho Niguel 8 (former Mann), in Laguna Niguel, Ca., was added to their site.

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Arellano

- posted February 29, 2008 11:56 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Another Cinemastar Theatre sold off. It looks like the San Bernardino is the only one left. I wouldn't be suprised if they sold it to Regal or another operator in the future.

And another loss for Mann Theatres. I wonder what is going on there.

Edit: I also noticed Regency closed the Trolley Square in Utah.

Christopher Crouch

- posted February 29, 2008 02:48 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And another loss for Mann Theatres. I wonder what is going on there.

I had heard Mann was looking to get out of the Rancho Niguel 8 for quite some time. The last few times I was there, there was decent attendance (for an arthouse), but concession sales were obviously weak (due in great part to a primarily senior citizen crowd).

The location is also listed on Mann's site, so I assume it is still in transition. Raising the question whether it will remain an arthouse or convert to another format long term. Being Regency, just about any format is possible. Personally, I could see second run doing huge business in that area.

As for Cinemastar, outside of their theatres in Mexico, it looks like they are throwing in the towel. I'd agree that the San Bernadino location will probably change hands in the near future (noticed that theatres's GM is one of my former AMC GMs).

Jeff Arellano

- posted February 29, 2008 03:05 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Who is the GM from AMC over there?

I think I know whom it was, but not sure. Is it O'Callaghan?

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted February 29, 2008 04:42 PM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
Please let Regency,Krikorian,Cinemark,Carmike,National Amusements or Harkins take over the San Brenardino Cinemastar,should it happen.

There are more than enough Regal and AMC theatres around

Jeff Arellano

- posted February 29, 2008 04:45 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
AMC hasn't had a theatre in San Bernardino since they closed the old 6 plex.

Krikorian pulled out of San Bernardino.
Regal took over the theatre and closed it (didn't they?)

So maybe one of them could come back into town.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted February 29, 2008 06:54 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I was part of the walk through when Century went to look at the Empire 20. It wasn't until then that I realized it's really just an AMC layout... four big theatres in the center with 8 screens down each hallway. It was even built with the AMC/McDonald's assembly line snack bar that CinemaStar clearly abandoned in favor of a traditional full serve bar.

I don't know what the reasons were why Century never picked it up (it would've been nice to have something connecting Rancho Mirage to the rest of Southern California). I know that a lot of money would've had to be put into the place to bring it up to the standards Century kept, a lot of that being attributed to the fixed-bottom seats having accumulated so much dirt of the years.

I may have dreamt this, but I thought also there was something about the building not having been built to meet some specific code and that if somebody other than CinemaStar purchased the building they would have to bring it up to code. Which leaves CinemaStar kind of locked in until somebody else out-builds them and they close.

Kyle Muldrow

- posted February 29, 2008 09:28 PM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, it would be terrific if the Rancho Niguel 8 did go second run. I agree that area could use a second run house. The nearest one is the Woodbridge in Irvine, which is run by Starplex.

I haven't been to the Rancho Niguel 8 in about a year. I recall no stadium seating in the auditorium I was in. I would hope Regency upgrades that. Also, there should be a concern about traffic in the area. If you make it second run, will that make Greenfield and Crown Valley Parkway more crowded than they already are? That could hurt business in the long run.

Just some thoughts...

Christopher Crouch

- posted March 01, 2008 03:06 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Who is the GM from AMC over there?
Their site lists Brian Lind (not sure how up to date the information is). He was GM of Fullerton during the expansion; prior to that he was at Mainplace 6, Plaza 10, and Fashion Square 4. He left AMC around 1997.

quote:
I recall no stadium seating in the auditorium I was in. I would hope Regency upgrades that. Also, there should be a concern about traffic in the area. If you make it second run, will that make Greenfield and Crown Valley Parkway more crowded than they already are? That could hurt business in the long run.

There is stadium in the two large auditoriums; it was one of the first Orange County theatres to have stadium (only the Cinedome and South Coast III preeceded it). I'd imagine Regency will only change the signage. The potential problem I see (assuming it went sub run and lived up to expectations) would be parking. The property lot is relatively small, forcing people to park across the street, in the strip mall lot, on busy days/nights (i.e. people would have to walk across Greenfield). However, this is all speculation and jumping the gun, as it could very well stay an art house and the small lot would be more than enough (I actually suspect it will stay art).

Jeff Arellano

- posted March 01, 2008 09:34 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember Brian Lind from his days at Plaza 10.

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted March 01, 2008 04:30 PM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
Ultrastar has added a former Cinemastar to its website.

the Mission Marketplace in Oceanside is now open.

Bill Gabel

- posted March 03, 2008 10:12 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And another loss for Mann Theatres.
Mann Theatres opened Rancho Niguel, but didn't it get sold to Edwards along with Pierside Pavilion. And it returned back to Mann Theatres chain after Edwards.

Christopher Crouch

- posted March 03, 2008 03:35 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
but didn't it get sold to Edwards along with Pierside Pavilion. And it returned back to Mann Theatres chain after Edwards.
Yes. Mann sold it to Edwards in 1991 (along with the Pierside Pavillion and Anaheim Hills Festival site). Then, following Edwards 2001 bankruptcy, the venue reverted back to Mann, in a "no chash changing hands" deal.

[ March 04, 2008, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Christopher Crouch ]

Mark Campbell

- posted March 04, 2008 11:27 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admire Regency. They seem to have carved out a niche for themselves taking over theaters that other operators could not successfully manage and make them work. Why is it all the previous operators could not figure it out?

It seems the Laguna Niguel is going to remain an art house for the time being. It is listed in the Laemmle ads in the LA Times under the Regency banner at the bottom.

Does anyone know the financial relationship between Laemmle and Regency? Only their "art' theatres seem to show up in the Laemmle ads, and most (but not all) of their discount theatres are in the independent theatre guide.

Christopher Crouch

- posted March 05, 2008 01:04 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does anyone know the financial relationship between Laemmle and Regency?
In addition to running it's own theatres, Laemmle provides film booking services for some other chains/theatres.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.