CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Bellevue, WA: Bellevue Galleria 11 to Close

Author Topic: Bellevue, WA: Bellevue Galleria 11 to Close
Dan Roben

- posted February 16, 2008 01:31 AM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
Hallett Cinemas has announced (via a notice taped to the exit door of the theater) that April 3 will be the final day of operations for the Galleria Stadium 11. Apparently, the landlord has exercised a lease option and plans to use the space for other purposes (my guess: most likely a gym. There isn't one on that block!).

Once the juggernaut known as the Lincoln Square 16 opened over two years ago, it was apparent that this theater could not survive. Hallett has been stuck booking grade B films, moveovers from Lincoln Square and some art-house films, holding them for far longer than their meager box-office numbers warranted.

Still, if one wanted to avoid crowds of teenagers, the Bellevue Galleria 11 was the place to go. I will miss it.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Campbell

- posted February 23, 2008 02:40 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
You could tell the days were numbered when they got down to only having 3 shows per day on the weekends and 2 during the week. I wondered why they ever bothered when they took over from Regal (aside from trying to get a foothold in Western Washington). If Regal couldn't make it work....

Dave Felthous

- posted February 23, 2008 07:11 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
Regal got out of Galleria because it didn't want to compete with Lincoln Square. Hallett should have picked up on that.

Regal bought most, but not all, of Signature Theaters. Lincoln Square is a Signature theater, or might as well be. The owner of Signature did not sell the Lincoln Square project to Regal, so Regal had no choice but to get out of Galleria. They stadiumized their Crossroads 8 last year, which no doubt has suffered in the wake of the truly classy Lincoln Square.

Mark Campbell

- posted February 23, 2008 07:14 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd hate to see what they did to the large auditorium of the Crossroads. That used to be one of my favorite screens. First place I heard Dolby and DTS Digital.

Mark Campbell

- posted March 28, 2008 11:20 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like they are down to operating 6 screens or so with a limited number of showings per day. Their line-up had gotten down to the point of so many late-run films it must not have been financially viable to keep em all open.

Is this a multi-level cinema? If it is it makes me think they closed one floor of it.

Dan Roben

- posted March 28, 2008 12:34 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
All 11 theaters are on one level.

The Bellevue Galleria 11 was probably the weakest 1990s era ACT III design/build with small screens all around. I'm still sorry to see it go...

Mark Campbell

- posted March 28, 2008 12:40 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
It never operated under the Act III banner did it?
Was it designed by Act III or Regal?

Dan Roben

- posted March 28, 2008 11:58 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
It was definitely designed by ACT III, and I think opened under their banner for a short time (less than a year?), before being sold to Regal.

Matt Lutthans

- posted April 06, 2008 01:00 PM      Profile for Matt Lutthans   Email Matt Lutthans         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to see the Galleria disappear. The only multiplex on the eastside that has worse auditoriums, I think, is the Kirkland Parkplace 6.

Matt Lutthans
Marysville, WA

Micheal Fron

- posted August 12, 2008 03:35 AM      Profile for Micheal Fron   Email Micheal Fron         Edit/Delete Post 
I Know I am a little late posting yhis, But That started as Act III, But regal took over before its completion

Jerry Norwood

- posted August 18, 2008 07:21 PM      Profile for Jerry Norwood   Email Jerry Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
There was nothing wrong with the Bellevue Galleria Stadium 11 auditoriums except for the fact the screens weren't wall to wall....just like any other WPH Architecture designed facility like East Valley, Lakewood, Parkway Plaza, etc.. etc...
Bella Bottega Stadium 11 is the one with horrible auditoriums after it's retrofit to stadium back in the late 90's.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.