CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » AMC "All-Digital" Tyler Mall 16 Opens

Author Topic: AMC "All-Digital" Tyler Mall 16 Opens
Eric Gieszl

- posted January 05, 2008 11:53 AM      Profile for Eric Gieszl           Edit/Delete Post 
The new AMC 16 at the Tyler Mall in Riverside, Califoria opened in December. AMC is advertising it as one of their first "all digital" locations.

I may be the only one, but I can't stand digital projection. It's too bright, the blacks are not correct and the colors are unnatural. I wasn't thrilled at seeing the press release advertising it as "all digital".

|  IP: Logged

David Au

- posted January 05, 2008 02:42 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen countless films over the years and I still prefer film over digital projection. However, I have seen digital projection many times at various theaters. Digital isn't all that great, but it isn't as horrible as the "anti-digital fanatics" claim. Those who are anti-digital usually are projectionists. Their jobs and livelihoods are threatened as they are about to be eliminated in favor of automated digital projection.

Digital projection has it's limitations, but it looks decent and most average movie patrons can't tell the difference. In fact, most average movie patrons think it is even better. That's what I call marketing hype. Just tell the audience it is "brand new cutting edge technology" and people will rave about how amazing it looks even if the resolution is half that of film.

Digital projectors are expensive and it will no doubt lead to higher ticket prices and higher food costs. Movie studios are not paying a dime to theaters to pay for these new projectors.

However, I believe that the 4K digital projectors at the handfull of recently opened All Digital AMC Theatres are donated. AMC would never pay for such things on their own. Sony wants to spark a buying frenzy in their 4K projectors. "Hey, look! AMC has these new Sony 4K Digital Projectors. Regal, Cinemark, and other companies that use 2K projectors, you better buy our 4K projectors or else everyone will abandon Regal and Cinemark for AMC's All Digital theaters."

Right now Regal, Cinemark, Arclight, and all the rest are only buying the cheaper 2K projectors. Sony is desperate to get customers away from rival digital projector companies like Christie who make 2K projectors.

Mark Campbell

- posted January 05, 2008 09:00 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Doe these "All Digital" theatres have any 35MM back-up equipment at all? Are all releases these days available in digital projection?

Chris Utley

- posted January 07, 2008 08:48 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
All theatres in the Krikorian Theatres chain (except for 1) are now digital projection - both prestige films and crappy films alike.

Todd Erwin

- posted January 07, 2008 01:56 PM      Profile for Todd Erwin   Email Todd Erwin         Edit/Delete Post 
As for digital vs film, there are quite a few theatres where the digital presentation blows the film presentaion out of the water. Edwards/Regal Metro Pointe in Costa Mesa, CA comes to mind. Walk in to the digital auditorium (screen #1), then walk in to one of the other film auds showing the same movie, and the film presentation is not uniformly focused, out of frame, and dark. Oh, and if the movie has been playing for more than a week, the film will already be scratched and full of dust.

Eric Gieszl

- posted January 17, 2008 02:34 AM      Profile for Eric Gieszl           Edit/Delete Post 
It is my understanding that nearly all releases are not available in digital projection.

I went to see National Treasure at AMC Downtown Disney 12 and to my surprise I found out it was a digital presentation. Five minutes into the movie I left and asked for a refund. The colors were so over saturated. The picture is too steady that it actually makes me feel ill. The brightness was blinding.

I'm not a projectionist and I hate digital projection. With the increases in admission prices, the blatant rip off at concession stands, the loss of all showmanship because of disgusting advertising I'm on the verge of swearing off going to the movies. I hate to say it, but I'm at the point where I'm beginning to prefer watching movies at home on DVD. I never thought I would say that.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.