CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Criterion / Sierra Vista 16 - Clovis, CA

Author Topic: Criterion / Sierra Vista 16 - Clovis, CA
Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted December 11, 2007 08:41 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed by the pictures at North American Cinemas' website that they changed the name from the Criterion to Sierra Vista. I remember the website used to say "Not affiliated with Criterion Theatres in [some other state]." I suppose they were sued over the name and lost?

How is it possible that they are prevented from naming their theatre something like that? It's not like they were calling it the Walt Disney 16 or anything like that.

Cinematour Listing

North American Cinemas Listing

|  IP: Logged

David Au

- posted December 12, 2007 06:35 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that most likely they changed the name so that people would not confuse the movie listings of the two theaters. For example, if someone went online and looked up the movie times and got the other theater's showtimes, there could be angry customers. Or perhaps customers in the past bought online tickets and chose the wrong theater.

I think that naming the theater after the mall makes sense. For example, many people say they are going to see movies at the Metreon. They don't care if the actual name of the theater is Loews or AMC. They just say the shopping center's name and immediately everyone else will know the location.

Daniel Fuentz

- posted December 13, 2007 08:01 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know the answer to that, but the old UA on the other side of the mall was also called the "Sierra Vista". I would say they called their theater Criterion to avoid confusion with the old UA, but that seems like a lot of expense to put up signs and such if you were planning to change the name a year later.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.