CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » AMC/Loews Lakewood Towne Redmodling

Author Topic: AMC/Loews Lakewood Towne Redmodling
William Newman

- posted November 19, 2007 05:43 PM      Profile for William Newman   Email William Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
Friend of mine had told me AMC/Loews Lakewood Towne are planning by adding more theatres.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Felthous

- posted November 19, 2007 08:10 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
Several years ago, when I still worked for Regal, the Regal Lakewood 15 was supposed to get five more screens. But I don't think it happened (haven't been by there since last August). Looks as if AMC is going to beat them to it.

Ken Layton

- posted November 19, 2007 09:36 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton         Edit/Delete Post 
Regal was going to add more screens to their Lakewood 15 complex, but business has fallen off.

Mark Campbell

- posted November 20, 2007 07:41 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
How does the AMC/Loews Lakewood Town Center do business-wise with the Regal so close by?

Dan Roben

- posted November 21, 2007 10:07 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...I haven't been to this place since its old Lakewood Mall 6 days. I certainly wasn't wowed then as Cineplex built this complex during their "let's build it on the cheap" days.

Initially, I thought that the Lakewood Town Center was getting trounced by the Regal, which has much easier close-to-the-freeway access, but if AMC is willing to spend $$ on an upgrade and expansion, then I guess they're doing fine. Too many times, we've seen AMC shut down cinemas they deem unworthy.

Maybe I should head down there one last time before the remodel begins...

Ken Layton

- posted November 22, 2007 09:54 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been to the Lakewood Cineplex after it got expanded to a 12 plex. It was a horrible tacked-on expansion done el cheapo for sure. Since most of the mall was torn down a few years ago and completely rebuilt, I'm sure the mall probably told the theater to upgrade or get out.

The whole mall still sucks anyway. Poor layout and bad parking. Plus they still have drive-by shootings and car break-ins. Something they have yet to control/cure before I'd ever go back.

Lakewood Towne Center [Razz] [barf] It's still the same crappy old Lakewood Mall to me.

It's better to go down the street to the Regal cinemas Lakewood 15. Better location, better access (right next to the freeway with easy on/off exits/ramps), and it's an ACT 3 building. They put on a good presentation here too.

William Newman

- posted January 19, 2008 12:42 PM      Profile for William Newman   Email William Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
Had talked to the friend AMC/Lowe Lakewood Towne by adding 2 more cinemas in existing complex.

Mark Campbell

- posted March 06, 2011 04:10 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Right now the showtimes look like they are only operating 9 screens at the moment. Something must be up. Those nine screens are also all digital.

I have only been in this theatre back when it was new in 1989. Was pure Cineplex Odeon: awful carpet and purple seats and grey walls with ugly Cineplex acoustic decoration. There were 3 auditoriums that were "large" with less than 300 seats and 3 sub 200 seaters. I believe all but one had top down masking for scope. Indeed it seemed cheap and paled in comparison to the SRO theatres that Cineplex was running in the area (Tacoma South, Tacoma West, Tacoma Mall Twin). However it did not seem as cheap as the Tacoma Central which they opened in 1990 and the Newmark in Seattle in 1993.

I've never been into the expansion which was in the mid '90's and I think Cineplex had entered a new color scheme by then like the Meridian 16 in Seattle.

I drove by last year and the exterior had Loews signage and it looked nothing like it had originally. I would be curious to see what AMC has done with the place, especially the interior. They seem to only be rebranding their Seattle area acquisitions in the interior and leaving Loews or Cineplex Odeon signage on the outside.

Jerry Norwood

- posted April 04, 2011 08:32 PM      Profile for Jerry Norwood   Email Jerry Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
The Regal Lakewood Stadium 15 was suppose to get expanded to 18 or 20 screens, but that never happened. It could be the business level. Tacoma needs another megaplex option!

Mark Campbell

- posted July 20, 2011 04:41 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
I poked my nose into the Lakewood Town Center. AMC has installed cushy lazy-boy like seats in every auditorium. This must have reduced the seat numbers by half. The seats are massive with massive arm rests and reclining capability. I guess this is a way to upgrade your theatre if you can't retrofit for stadium seating. Personally I think this might be better than stadium (which I am not a fan of anyway). There is so much space between you and the person in front of you that sightlines are not a problem. However, these are still mostly small shoebox auditoriums with top-down masking on most screens. The 2 lobbies now have a common AMC look. The auditoriums on the old wing still have the 80's Cineplex Odeon wall panelling and the ones on the 90's Cineplex Odeon wall panelling. However they have dimmed the lighting considerably making them a little less unattractive. There were Real D glasses bins at the exits of at least 6 auditoriums. Looks like the auditoriums are holding to 12. No sign of rumored additional construction. Sign still says Loews on the exterior.

Does anyone know of any other AMC theatres that have received this treatment? Certainly it must be a way for them to be competitive with the Regal Stadium 15 a few miles away that plays same day/date.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted July 21, 2011 01:32 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting. That seems like a tactic a smaller chain might use. I'm kind of proud AMC thought outside the box instead of just closing the place.

Mark Campbell

- posted July 21, 2011 01:48 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a link to a photo of the demo seats in the lobby (note the 1989 Cineplex tile underneath).They are motorized! Judging by the comments on Yelp! the idea is paying off with customers. All the comments went from "worst theatre ever" to "the only place I will go". I have to say after seeing the auditoriums they did a fantastic job converting crappy Cineplex Odeon shoeboxes into luxury screening rooms.

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/NqqfrVpTQm-jhJpAFauvQg?select=PAeEnNQhLOX6qICgOWrimA

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.