CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » I Visited The New Signature Theatres Stadium 14 in Kalispell Montana! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I Visited The New Signature Theatres Stadium 14 in Kalispell Montana!
Floyd E. Perry, Jr.

- posted September 23, 2007 11:33 AM      Profile for Floyd E. Perry, Jr.   Email Floyd E. Perry, Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
I took a trip to Kalispell Montana last week and took lots of photos of the Signature Theatres there. As most everyone knows, Signature Theatres is owned by Phillip Harris and at one time owned at least 309 screens in California, Hawaii and in Kalispell Montana. In 2004, Phil Harris sold all of the California and Hawaii cinemas to Regal Cinemas and kept the Kalispell Theatres (Historic Liberty Theatre, Strand Theatre, Gateway Cinemas and the Midway Drive In). In 2005, Phil Harris moved the headquarters (as well as himself and his family) from San Ramon California to Kalispell Montana. On August 3RD of this year, Signature opened up the new "Stadium 14 Cinemas"( while closing the Liberty, the Strand and the Gateway). Well on both September 16 and 20, I had the opportunity to visit the new Stadium 14 and it was like Deja Vue. Signature Theatres know how to operate theaters. Ever since, Regal took over the other Signature Theatres, they have gone downhill. Commercials, No Real Butter on popcorn, no quality checks in each auditoriums and dirtier auditoriums. I sure miss Signature and it was nice to visit his new complex in Kalispell Montana!

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted September 23, 2007 03:01 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure to email the photos to the newsroom and I'll get them added to the site.

Dan Roben

- posted September 23, 2007 11:17 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
Phillip Harris also owns the two-year-old Lincoln Square 16 in Bellevue, WA. One of the top-grossing theaters in the country, it is not branded as a Signature Theater and is listed as an independent in local advertising.

Simply put, it is the best megaplex in the Seattle-Tacoma market.

Floyd E. Perry, Jr.

- posted September 25, 2007 11:05 PM      Profile for Floyd E. Perry, Jr.   Email Floyd E. Perry, Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that the reason Phillip Harris markets his Bellevue, WA as an Independent rather than a Signature Theatre is probably because of a deal he may have made with Regal Cinemas when he sold his California and Hawaii cinemas to them. I believe Regal owns a cineplex in Bellevue also? When I have a chance, I will email those photos of the Kalispell Theatres.

David Au

- posted September 26, 2007 01:02 AM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember going to some really nice Signature Theatres a few years ago. Here is a site with photos of many Signature Theatres and Lincoln Square:
Signature Theatres photos 1

Signature Theatres photos 2
If you highlight the invisible text on the About Us page, it will show the screen sizes and specifications of most of the theaters.

I really like the photos.

Chris Utley

- posted September 26, 2007 07:30 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else catch the screen sizes in some of the "big" auditoriums? YIKES! No wonder folks would rather stay home and look at DVD's! Who the heck would want to see "Transformers" on a 30 foot screen with Top Masking?!?! [barf]

Dan Roben

- posted September 26, 2007 09:14 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
The Lincoln Plaza Cinema is one of the few theaters where I don't really mind the top-down masking, at least in screens 12-16 where the screen sizes are so huge that "diminished" scope is still damn impressive.

I don't know if Phillip Harris had any discussions with Regal regarding using the Signature brand, but Regal saw the writing on the wall even before the Lincoln Plaza opened and bailed out of the Bellevue Galleria 11, located two blocks south of LS, months before LS opened. Hallet Cinemas took over the Galleria and basically operates it as a move-over house with first-run pricing.

Lincoln Square is booked very well, with a nice mix of blockbuster and independent/foreign product. The city of Bellevue is very upscale (Bill Gates lives about 2 miles away) and the Lincoln Square Cinemas fit nicely into that profile.

Floyd E. Perry, Jr.

- posted September 26, 2007 10:38 PM      Profile for Floyd E. Perry, Jr.   Email Floyd E. Perry, Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
Regal Cinemas really trashed the look of Signature Theatres or at least here in Stockton. Regal has yet to update the old Holiday Cinemas 8 with Stadium seating. signature was planning it beforeselling it to regal. Are there any other Regal acquired Signature Theatres still with the old fashioned sloped seating?

David Au

- posted September 27, 2007 02:25 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there are several former Signature Theatres with sloped seating. Holiday Cinemas 6 in Davis still has sloped seating. However, this theater has large screens (most with side masking) and an amazing surround sound system. Davis is a college town, so the theater is very busy and there are lots of customers. Even though there is no stadium seating, the movie experience is still very nice. Signature Theatres installed high quality sound systems.

Santa Cruz Cinema 9 does not have stadium seating, but it is a nice retro Art Deco theater and it is also in a college town. There is no shortage of customers to that theater. It is a newer theater that was made to look like an old fashioned art deco theater.

If the floor of the theater is sloped enough, it is almost just like stadium seating. If the seats are staggered, you won't be looking at the back of a person's head.

Floyd E. Perry, Jr.

- posted September 28, 2007 10:26 AM      Profile for Floyd E. Perry, Jr.   Email Floyd E. Perry, Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
According to Regal Cinemaswebsite, the HOLIDAY CINEMA 8 in Stockton, has Stadium Seating. I wonder when did this happen? It was no mention of it in the newspaper, and to my knowledge, they didn't close its doors to remodel. They must have remodeled each auditorium one at a time? I haven't been here in a year, so I will have to check to see if it is true.

David Au

- posted September 28, 2007 12:56 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
Fandango is often wrong about whether or not a theater has stadium seating. If the theater has been upgraded to stadium seating, Regal usually adds Stadium to the name of the theater.

It is best to call the theater and confirm, or you might be in for a disappointment.

Fandango also says that Regal Santa Cruz Cinema 9 has stadium seating, but it does not have stadium seating.

Floyd E. Perry, Jr.

- posted September 28, 2007 01:33 PM      Profile for Floyd E. Perry, Jr.   Email Floyd E. Perry, Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks David, That's what I thought. Regal would have listed it as REGAL HOLIDAY STADIUM 8.

Floyd E. Perry, Jr.

- posted October 01, 2007 07:56 PM      Profile for Floyd E. Perry, Jr.   Email Floyd E. Perry, Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
Well David, you were right. I went to see MR. WOODCOCK at the Holiday and they are still sloped seating. However no problem seeing the movie as I was the only one in the auditorium. Since the City Centre Stadium 16 opened up, business has gone downhill. Most everyone prefers Stadium Seating. The person at the concession stand told me that on most weekends, they are lucky to do 300 people total in business. The only positive thing that the HOLIDAY CINEMA 8 offers that the CITY CENTRE STADIUM 16 doesn't is that ALL AUDITORIUMS ARE THX CERTIFIED!

David Au

- posted October 01, 2007 08:54 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
Many former Signature Theatres used to be THX certified. Even the ones that weren't certified, still had really good sound systems.

Regal doesn't pay for THX anymore (except for the Regal Dole Cannery). So the theater probably is up to THX standards still but isn't officially certified by Lucasfilm.

Did they play the THX trailer or have a THX plaque on the wall? Technically, they have to remove those since they aren't paying for THX anymore.

Floyd E. Perry, Jr.

- posted October 02, 2007 09:04 PM      Profile for Floyd E. Perry, Jr.   Email Floyd E. Perry, Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
The THX plaque was still on the wall but there was no THX trailer. In fact, The Holiday Cinema 8 hasn't played the THX trailer since 2002 when Signature still had control. The sound still sounded great in the Holiday Auditorium compared to the newer City Centre Stadium 16.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.