CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Brea Plaza 5 Visit (Page 0)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Brea Plaza 5 Visit
Kyle Muldrow

- posted February 01, 2010 12:54 PM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
In that case, this theater will most likely be a discount house, which would make the most sense.

Does that group have their own website? Also, forgive me if I missed this earlier, but any idea of a reopening date...for the plaza or the theater, for that matter...

|  IP: Logged

Christopher Crouch

- posted February 01, 2010 06:54 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does that group have their own website? Also, forgive me if I missed this earlier, but any idea of a reopening date...for the plaza or the theater, for that matter...

For some reason, they operate seperate websites for each of their theatres. terravista6.com, temekucinemas.com, and brookhurst4.com.

You can find out about the Brea Plaza's remodeling from the center's website thenewbreaplaza.com

Christopher Crouch

- posted July 06, 2010 03:27 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like they are close to reopening. A website is now partially up for the theatre here.

Jeff Arellano

- posted July 27, 2010 10:08 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm here for an interview today. From the outside the theater looks amazing. It looks like a brand new theater. I will report later when I get home with how the inside looks. Ill snap a few cell phone pics.

Jeff Arellano

- posted July 27, 2010 01:58 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
So Im back from this location. They had completely gutted the auditoriums and lobby and remodeled the whole place. It looks amazing.

First off, they took away some of the buildings when they redid the center, so now you can actually drive easily to the theaters. They also tore down part of the old Computer City building, so there is way more parking there now. They also added a CINEMAS so you can tell that its there. Way better than driving around the back to get to the theater:

-

New Poster cases, new lighting, new paint, all looking great. The only thing original is the doors and the side of the theater had nothing changed:

-

The box office windows however are now two windows on the side of the building, no longer in what was the front. Kind of awkward. They have put a glass enclosure and full size door to prevent robbery.

Inside, the paint is bright and colorful. They have added ceiling fans in the building which gives it a nice motif. Wood looking tile has been laid in the lobby, and the entry tile was covered but you can tell its a darker tile that contrasts the lobby. New poster cases and all new bathrooms.

Here is a quick and hazy shot I took coming down from the office. There were too many workers inside:
 -

Now the upstairs is a mess still. The walls are still painted pitch black (they used the projection booth for the Saw House of Horror) and still had several painted on displays up there. They do have new Christie projectors and platter systems. They were running all the projectors. The office, over by the big theater (1? 5?) was still covered inside with graffiti that Chris mentioned earlier. A lot of TLC needs to be done upstairs.

The GM who interviewed me (oddly enough I had gone to interview for GM... they hadnt read my cover letter!) said that the SAW people had punched holes in every auditorium wall, and they had to close the holes again.

This theater is supposed to open this Friday, July 30th.

Kyle Muldrow

- posted July 27, 2010 07:02 PM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
That's already a huge improvement over the old theater...but they're going to have to scramble to get that ready by Friday. The old Computer City building got knocked down, huh? I bought a few things there. Store had some good stuff, but had the slowest check-out lines I've ever seen...I should take a drive up there and see this for myself.

Todd Erwin

- posted July 29, 2010 04:03 PM      Profile for Todd Erwin   Email Todd Erwin         Edit/Delete Post 
So, they are still running film at this *new* theater?

Jeff Arellano

- posted July 29, 2010 07:20 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. They have all new Christie projectors and platter systems (I'm sure used from other theaters).

When they took over the place was gutted.

Todd Erwin

- posted August 01, 2010 09:03 AM      Profile for Todd Erwin   Email Todd Erwin         Edit/Delete Post 
Based on their website, I'm assuming this will be a 2nd run house?

Jeff Arellano

- posted August 03, 2010 10:59 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, second run.

Right now this week they are showing films for free. Your choice of:

* Alice in Wonderland (2-D) New Movie (FREE)
* Clash of the Titans New Movie (FREE)
* Hot Tub Time Machine New Movie (FREE)
* Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief New Movie (FREE)
* Shutter Island New Movie (FREE)

A good way to check out the theater to see how nice it came out.

Chris Utley

- posted August 03, 2010 01:27 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
In other words...save the $1.50 Redbox/$19.95 a month NetFlix fees and see 'em at our theatre for free! ONE WEEK ONLY!

[Rolling on Floor Laughing]

Christopher Crouch

- posted August 04, 2010 01:37 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
The week of free movies is, theoretically, a way to introduce the theatre to potential patrons, while working out the bugs and training issues that come with any new operation. However, I've found that few of the people who show up for free previews end up becoming your customer base. The free preview openings I've been involved with only managed to attract people you'd never see again, once the theatre was shifted to regular pricing. Maybe, it will prove different with a discount house.

Bill Gabel

- posted August 04, 2010 12:14 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
GCC did that free or dollar movie thing on afew of their newly opened theatres in the Southern California market.

Christopher Crouch

- posted August 06, 2010 03:24 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
I stopped by the theatre this afternoon. They did a nice job remodeling. About the only negatives I noted were a lighter color scheme (might show wear early) and older seating fixtures (after only a week, there were already a lot of broken seats); however, the older seating was likely a concession to avoid modern ADA standards. In any case, it was great to see the Brea 5, not only brought back from the dead, but looking better than it ever has.

I think the real key to the theatre's future success will be the complex's overall remodeling. While not completed yet, it's already vastly improved from the worn out dump that had been there for the past couple of decades.

Jeff Arellano

- posted August 06, 2010 09:56 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. The only negative about the center (besides all the construction) is the fact that they have not remodeled the Borders and it looks like an eyesore compared to the rest of the center.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.