CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Regal Converted Edwards Cinemas Bakersfield to Side Masking

Author Topic: Regal Converted Edwards Cinemas Bakersfield to Side Masking
David Au

- posted August 08, 2007 02:36 AM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
I read about this at another forum. Regal converted the common width screens at Edwards Cinemas Bakersfield to common height with right and left side masking. The screen now gets bigger for scope after the previews.

This a could be a change for the better for Regal.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Stambaugh

- posted August 08, 2007 08:04 AM      Profile for Dave Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Stambaugh         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. Regal 15 opened here in March, brand new from the ground up. Some of the screens are common-width. Only the largest houses have side masking. I saw Rescue Dawn there last weekend, in one of the smallest houses, and not only is the screen common-width but it's off-center. Some kind of serious architectural compromise going on there, no doubt related to placement of fire exits or something.

Chris Utley

- posted August 08, 2007 07:11 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Regal will be (temporarily) out of my life in T-Minus 30 days when I officially move to Inglewood. And good riddance, too!

...although I will be one of the first to hit their Downtown LA "flagship" if and when it opens in 2008. I'll cross my fingers and hope that they install side masking in at least 1/2 - 3/4 of the complex!

Dave Stambaugh

- posted August 08, 2007 08:43 PM      Profile for Dave Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Stambaugh         Edit/Delete Post 
I gotta say the larger houses in their new build here are very very nice. [thumbs up] The smaller ones, not so much. Not horrible, just less than ideal.

Todd Erwin

- posted August 14, 2007 06:11 PM      Profile for Todd Erwin   Email Todd Erwin         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, if Regal would just get to work on the following theatres and get rid of the "one size fits all" screens:

1. Triangle Square in Costa Mesa, CA (unless they decide to finally close when the lease expires soon)
2. Westminster 10
3. Tustin Marketplace (unless they decide to finally close now that AMC Tustin has opened down the street and the fact that Regal also opened an all-stadium complex across the street)
4. BIG Newport (Screen #2)
5. Island 7, Newport Beach

Tom Mundell

- posted August 14, 2007 06:55 PM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, definitely interesting; sounds like a good call on Regal's part though! [thumbs up] How was the conversion done? Most auditoriums with fixed width screens I've seen can't have the screen get any wider; so this theatre is either different from what I've typically seen and they could snag a little extra width or the scope picture remains the same size and the flat picture is now smaller instead of taller?

I've seen tons of theaters with the off center screens Dave mentions; almost all recent Loews auditorums I've seen do this on account of the fire exit, as do many others. I really hate that style, especially as they frequently seem to put the seating on one side of the room and the screen on the other (I assume in order to have an exit on each side).

Chris Utley

- posted August 14, 2007 07:05 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Todd, there's no real way to redo the masking at those theatres you mention without a complete remodel or making the screens all 30-40 feet wide. Heck...Regal just needs to put Newport Island 7 & Triangle Square out of their respective misery and rebuild something MetroPointe-esque in their place.

Christopher Crouch

- posted August 15, 2007 12:13 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Heck...Regal just needs to put Newport Island 7 & Triangle Square out of their respective misery and rebuild something MetroPointe-esque in their place.

Beyond the Triangle Square theatre, the entire Triangle Square complex needs to be leveled and redeveloped. I always felt it was an ill-conveived facility (even when Niketown and the full sized Virgin Megastore were in place).

The Island 7 somewhat mirrors Fashion Island's general need for an update. It would be nice if they built a new theatre, but one has to wonder if that's financially feasible. Beyond the expensive realestate, I'm not sure Fashion Island is the right setting for a successful modern theatre (especially with the Big Newport so close).

Chris Utley

- posted August 15, 2007 10:08 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm not sure Fashion Island is the right setting for a successful modern theatre (especially with the Big Newport so close).
They don't need a fancy modern theatre. They just need a more adequate place to show the stuff that Big Newport won't show. The big ticket items could easily play at Big Newport while all the move-overs and smaller scale stuff (including arthouse fair) could play in this new spot.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.