CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Northgate Mall (Seattle, WA) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Northgate Mall (Seattle, WA)
Dave Felthous

- posted July 09, 2007 06:51 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
I have it on the best authority (my old boss) that Regal got the Northgate project. It probably won't open until 2009; there's a big hole in the ground right now. The structure will be condos or a hotel with the theater at ground level. (Don't think I'd want to stay there. Too noisy!!)

|  IP: Logged

Mark Campbell

- posted July 09, 2007 10:56 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
I am surprised that AMC didn't get it. What do you think will happen to the Oak Tree?

Dan Roben

- posted July 10, 2007 12:24 AM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
I never thought I'd say this, but thank God it's Regal and not Cinemark (see my review of Cinemark Century Federal Way 16 in the Cinemas and Theaters section).

I predict that once the Regal opens, AMC will quickly shut down the Oak Tree 6 because it's an older theater (21 years old) and it doesn't fit AMC's business model (too few screens). The only reason it's still open is because it's the only first-run cinema in the area and a lot of tickets are sold. When the Regal opens, all the big first-runs will go there (Oak Tree would only be about a mile away), thus leaving the Oak Tree high and dry.

I can only hope that it survives as a bargain house (and it would be a good one), but I'm not holding my breath.

Mark Campbell

- posted July 10, 2007 08:53 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Oak Tree was the last SRO build in Seattle before Cineplex took over and started building crummy theatres. If I am not mistaken, it opened in May 1986 with a 70mm print of Top Gun in the THX house and a 70mm print of Rocky IV in the next largest house. It was always a decent theatre when I lived in Seattle. I would be curious to see what condition it is in today under AMC. It would probably do well as a discount house because of the density of the population in the area.

Dan Roben

- posted July 10, 2007 09:21 AM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, you are correct in your recollections. And the good news is that AMC (and Loews prior to the merger) has maintained the Oak Tree well. I still see many films there (but try to avoid the two smallest theaters--those screens are tiny!). Course, it goes without saying that I live about half-mile away...

I can only hope that Regal keeps the Mountlake 9 open after the Northgate project is open.

Mark Campbell

- posted July 10, 2007 11:56 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
I would think they would keep the Mountlake open as it is far enough away to plays the same films as Northgate did and the Oak Tree.

There might be some who would not want to deal with the crowds and parking at the mall and would prefer the ease of the Mountlake. (I would)

Dan Roben

- posted July 10, 2007 12:06 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
And don't forget, the Mountlake 9 is an Act III build!

Mark Campbell

- posted July 10, 2007 01:22 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Long Live Act III!

Dave Felthous

- posted July 14, 2007 04:32 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt Mountlake will survive after the Northgate opens. Regal has done nothing to upgrade it -- no stadium retrofit, for example, while it is continuing to remodel its other Seattle-area units. Over the years Mountlake has become surrounded by big-box stores and office buildings. The property probably worth a lot and could be sold easily.

Mark Campbell

- posted July 15, 2007 03:45 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Dave, speaking of Regal remodels, do any of you connections have pictures of the Crossroads 8 or Alderwood 7 post-remodel?

I also would haved loved to have seen a picture of the big house at the Crossroads prior to remodel. That used to be THE place my friends and I would see the big films when the opened back in the 90's. My first DTS and Dolby Digital experience as well.

That would be too bad about the Mountlake. First the Everett 9...

Dan Roben

- posted July 15, 2007 08:37 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
It is said that bad things come in threes.

First the Everett 9, now possibly the Mountlake 9. Could the Issaquah 9 be the third?

Issaquah is rapidly growing and they could probably support a larger cinema. Given Regal's recent history, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to have the Issaquah 9 replaced, much like they replaced the Everett 9 with the Everett Mall Stadium 16.

If so, a little bit of history will be lost as these three theaters represent the remainder of the initial expansion of ACT III after they acquired Luxury Theaters from Tom Moyer.

Mark, I wish I had access to the interior of the large Crossroads before the retrofit. To me, it was a perfectly designed theater: A large screen, 900 plush seats and a very steep slope which gave everyone a great view without stadium seating. Haven't been there post-retrofit yet.

Dave Felthous

- posted July 15, 2007 08:43 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
I snuck an acquaintance into Alderwood 7 after the remodel and he took a lot of pictures. He says he sent them to Adam but they were never posted. I've lost track of this guy so I have no way of checking.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted July 19, 2007 11:04 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bug Adam and see if he has them somewhere. He's been pretty good on updating stuff, especially with the Seattle area since he was planning a trip there awhile back.

David Au

- posted July 19, 2007 03:31 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Issaquah 9, the Cornelius 9 Cinema is an exact copy and it is also an Act III build. It is operated by a small company called Act V Theaters and Cornelius now has THX, stadium seating, and a huge 54 foot screen. I don't know who Act V Theaters is, but they seem like they are running a quality theater.

Act V Theaters website

Dan Roben

- posted July 19, 2007 03:50 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not 100 percent sure, but I believe the Cornelius is operated by one of the offspring of Tom Moyer, notorious former owner of Luxury Theaters (bought out by ACT III...Bought out by Regal). Tom Moyer is still very much active in real estate and may own the land (I'm only speculating) the theater sits on, which might explain the current ownership.

David, you're right that the Cornelius is an exact copy of the Issaquah 9 and Mountlake 9 except for the fact that the Cornelius has been retrofitted for stadium seating, while the two Washington theaters have not. This is very important for those of us who can't stand stadium seating. Mountlake and Issaquah are true originals.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.