CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » New Cinemark "Century Federal Way"

Author Topic: New Cinemark "Century Federal Way"
Dan Roben

- posted June 29, 2007 07:41 AM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
The teaser ads in today's Seattle Times and Seattle Post Intelligencer newspapers trumpet the opening of the new Cinemark "Century Federal Way" megaplex on July 3rd (talk about a plain brown wrapper of a name!).

There's no information provided yet about the new cinema, but my "hunch" is that it will feature something called "all-stadium seating" and some kind of contraption known as a "cup-holder," whatever the hell that is! (Tongue firmly implanted in cheek)

Seriously, I believe the new cinema has 14 or 16 screens (can't remember for sure). My guess is that within a few weeks after the opening, the nearby Starplex Cinemas Gateway 8 will either switch to sub-run or close.

I plan to drive down there on Monday, July 9 and check it out. Look for a thorough review in Cinematour shortly thereafter.

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton

- posted June 29, 2007 08:16 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton         Edit/Delete Post 
Suppossed to be a 14 and a carbon copy of the new Olympia one. Gameroom will also be operated by Premier Amusement from North Richland Hills, Texas.

Christopher Crouch

- posted June 29, 2007 02:46 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My guess is that within a few weeks after the opening, the nearby Starplex Cinemas Gateway 8 will either switch to sub-run or close.

They'll switch to subrun if necissary. I believe the plan was always to run the theatre as a first run until the megaplex opened and dictated a change. I suppose there is also a chance they'll convert it to a Movie Tavern.

Mark Campbell

- posted June 29, 2007 03:32 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Starplex must have expected to turn the Gateway into sub-run. They took over from Galaxy after the Century deal had been quite publicy set in stone. Sub-run might do well in that area.

Mark Campbell

- posted July 03, 2007 08:44 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm up in Seattle for the 4th of July holiday and the theatre opened today (saw ads in the paper). What is very interesting is that the Starplex Gateway 8 a few blocks away (ex-GCC) has gone discount overnight and has literally "given" all their first run films to the Century Federal Way and has a new slate of 2nd run films. There must have been some sort of agreement in place. I have never seen a competing theatre from a different chain just bow down and give way to the new theatre with out a fight or letting all their first run films peter out. Starplex was the only theatre in the area and had all the latest first run films. They ran Ratatoullie and Die Hard for less than a week before giving them to Century.

Christopher Crouch

- posted July 03, 2007 11:18 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
must have been some sort of agreement in place. I have never seen a competing theatre from a different chain just bow down and give way to the new theatre with out a fight or letting all their first run films peter out
Starplex knew the theatre was being built when they took on the Gateway. Thus, the idea was always to make some sort of format switch, once the new theatre opened (i.e. make the most of the site, in relation to market conditions). Starplex and Cinemark are closely related, due to a shared history and the individuals involved in each company, so it's never been a true rivalry between the two.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.