CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Regal's Crossroads 8 Now Stadium (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Regal's Crossroads 8 Now Stadium
Dan Roben

- posted May 05, 2007 11:38 AM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they did it again! Regal took a perfectly fine, sloped theater and retrofitted it with the dreaded stadium seating, just in time for Spiderman 3 to fill five(!) of its screens.

All kidding aside, if Regal does as nice of a job with the Crossroads as they did with the Alderwood 7 retrofit, then it will not mean the end of civilization as I know it.

This leaves the Mountlake 9 and Issaquah 9 complexes (both former ACT III builds) and the Meridian 16 (a former Cineplex Odeon disaster) in the Seattle market that have yet to be "regally" retrofitted. I hope they don't mess with Mountlake. It still draws huge crowds even though new competition opened just a few miles away within the past two years (AMC's Alderwood Mall 16).

Leaving the Mountlake alone would remind me just how lucky we were to have ACT III Theaters in our midst.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Campbell

- posted May 05, 2007 02:41 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Leaving the Mountlake alone would remind me just how lucky we were to have ACT III Theaters in our midst.

I second that!

Dave Felthous

- posted May 16, 2007 08:25 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a bit behind; have had no computer for a month.

I think Regal is waiting on Mountlake to see who gets the Northgate megaplex. I doubt any $$$ will be spent at Mountlake until that's determined. (My guess is that AMC will get Northgate).

Meridian is unlikely to be retrofitted. The building design didn't permit it in the first place. And Regal took it over only to keep another vendor out of downtown.

They were forced to do something at Crossroads because of the success of Lincoln Square. Regal's Issaquah 9 is so far from anything else (except Ellensburg!) that it isn't likely to be changed.

I agree with Dan. I hate stadium seating.

Mark Campbell

- posted May 17, 2007 04:33 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
The big THX house (probably not anymore) was the first place i experienced Dolby Digital (Dragon:The Bruce Lee Story) and DTS Digital (Jurassic Park). Such great presentation in a really nice large house with a giant screen. (anyone know how many it seated?) I was hooked. My best friend at the time lived in Bellevue so it was a great excuse to go to the Crossroads. Hard to believe it was a Luxury Theatres build (don't get me started). They finally got their act together right before being bought by Act III.

Dan Roben

- posted May 17, 2007 07:37 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

The big Crossroads screen seated about 900, probably less now with its stadium retrofit. And, yes, that screen is big. Haven't been in the big theater in years as it is virtually impossible to determine what film is playing there. Obviously, it would be one of the big blockbusters, but then they're usually playing on two or three other screens at the same time.

Dave, since you used to work for Regal, is there any way to determine what film is playing in the big house, maybe by looking at showtimes etc? I wish all theaters would advertise what is playing in their large house. Regal does this at their East Valley 13 location (dubbed "The Big Valley"). I only wish they would do it at their other locations.

David Au

- posted May 17, 2007 08:32 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
Asking the ticket seller which movie is playing on the biggest screen usually works.

A theater near me actually has a phone recording that tells you which movie is playing on the big screen in the "Dome" or Auditorium 1. Theaters always have recordings and some theaters do have people who still answer the phones. They can look up the number of the auditorium on their computers. However, with some Regal theaters they tell the employees not to answer the phones on days that they are busy, such as Friday and Saturday. You can call a few days early and see if you can get a live person to answer.

Dave Felthous

- posted May 19, 2007 10:54 AM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to do the phone recording at Regal's Lynnwood theater, and for a time I mentioned what was playing in our largest house. But this meant redoing the recording if we moved a different movie into No. 1, and it got so it happened so frequently that I quit doing it. A call to the office (the number is usually at the end of the recording) will be answered by an actual person, and they can provide the info.

Mark Campbell

- posted May 19, 2007 04:12 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone can get any photos of the Crossroads I would be so happy. It used to be easy to know what was in the big house because it was the only THX house in the theatre and was advertised occordingly. Does anyone know if this was the last Luxury Theatres build? The Lloyds Center in Portland, OR seems about the same generation. I do know that the Alderwoood 7 in Lynnwood opened in 1996 and the Crossroads in 1988...

Dave Felthous

- posted May 19, 2007 04:22 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
Alderwood opened in 1986, Crossroads in 1988. Crossroads was the last Luxury build in the Seattle market.

Dan Roben

- posted May 20, 2007 12:41 AM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely be listening for that phone number.

Mark,

Being the technically backward person that I am, I have yet to get a digital camera. However, that will change shortly, and then I'll be able to submit photos for Cinematour. I also have some inside connections to our Landmark Theaters here in Seattle, and they should allow me to take many indoor shots, specifically of the Egyption, Metro and Guild 45th Theaters.

Dave Felthous

- posted May 20, 2007 10:17 AM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, don't forget the Neptune.

Mark Campbell

- posted May 20, 2007 01:59 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
...and the Varsity and the Crest.

Dan Roben

- posted May 20, 2007 07:35 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
Quite a pent-up demand, I see!

Can't guarantee interior photos of ALL Landmarks in Seattle. My inside contacts are projectionists and/or managers of the three theaters I mentioned. However, where there's a will...

Yes, the Neptune would be cool for its mini movie palace ambience, the Varsity for its authentic mid 30s look and the Crest for an example of what I might assume to be one of the very first "modern" stadium seating installations (around 1982, I believe) when the original house was split into three theaters. Since the Crest did not have a balcony, the stadium theaters were "built" from the ground up, so to speak.

Heck, I'll take a stab at the Harvard Exit as well!

I'll also be definitely able to get photos of the Seattle International Film Festival's (SIFF) new year-round theater, dubbed "SIFF Cinema" as I am heavily involved with that organization. These guys did it right.

They took an underused 400 seat lecture hall attached to Seattle's new Opera House, installed two 35MM projectors (sorry, don't know the make)a Sony 4K digital projector, a very powerful Dolby Digital sound system, JBL speakers and a wall-to-wall screen when the SIDE masking is opened for scope! All aspect ratios can be accommodated here. In the next couple of months, it will be THX certified, making it the only Seattle theater to have such a distinction.

I could complain about the less-than-comfortable seating and the very tight leg room, but SIFF is a non-profit, and they spent the money where it really counts.

Matt Lutthans

- posted April 06, 2008 01:32 PM      Profile for Matt Lutthans   Email Matt Lutthans         Edit/Delete Post 
I've taken some interiors of many of the Landmark theatres in Seattle. Some are on Cinematour, and I even have 3-D shots of the interior of the Neptune. (Sorry -- no 3D on Cinematour.com!) I don't have the Guild 45th, Varsity, or Metro, but with time...who knows?

Also, the Crossroads 8 big house was one of my absolute favorites pre-stadium seating, and it's still pretty good. I saw Ratatouille there, and it looked great. My wife likes it better now, because she's short! I would have preferred leaving it a sloped floor.

Matt Lutthans
Marysville, WA

Jerry Norwood

- posted June 30, 2008 06:47 AM      Profile for Jerry Norwood   Email Jerry Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Why they didn't scrap Crossroads/rebuild or atleast bring it up to 14 screen megaplex category is a mystery.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.