CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » New Theatre Complex in Olympia (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: New Theatre Complex in Olympia
Ken Layton

- posted May 21, 2007 11:33 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my friends said this theater does have a self service snack bar.

|  IP: Logged

David Au

- posted May 22, 2007 12:19 AM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
This theater most likely will be a Century Theatres building with some Cinemark decor elements. The Century Summit Sierra in Reno that opened a few weeks ago has a mix of Cinemark decor and Century decor in the auditoriums: Cinemark red wall coverings and chairs, with Century wall sconces.

William Newman

- posted May 23, 2007 09:14 AM      Profile for William Newman   Email William Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
In New Theatre Complex in Olympia on May 25th, Federal Way Commons will open in July 2007. Federal Way Commons also under Cinemark

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted May 23, 2007 05:04 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I went and saw the Summit Sierra location. It didn't seem as bad as I expected. It was out of place for Cinemark to put up their gold framed poster frames and put their yellow garbage cans all over the place, but otherwise their generic carpet fit in well and their curtains and seats were ok. It seemed pretty obvious to me that in the front there was originally going to be some neon, but my guess is that Cinemark nixed it at the last minute. What irks me about the building is that it would've been Century's first new build in that area in just about 10 years, so a lot of the positive changes Century made to their design, Cinemark gets the credit for.

My curiosity about the Washington locations is that Cinemark has had more time to make changes, so perhaps the tile wainscoting that Century found so effective for wall maintenance, will have been replaced by the typical Cinemark treatment. My guess is that these theatres will be a Century footprint+snack bar, with everything else Cinemark.

David Au

- posted May 23, 2007 07:18 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
The design of the outside of the building is virtually the same as the Century in Deer Park, IL. That Century is very plain.

Ken Layton

- posted May 23, 2007 10:35 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton         Edit/Delete Post 
I got the tour (brief) of the theater today. All Strong booth ( Strong platters, Highlight 2a, Simplex, DTS XD10, QSC amps).

Auditoriums have JBL surrounds and JBL screen speakers. There's red drapes on the wall, black linoleum tile on the floor, generic dark carpet, and what looks like the same seats Regal uses.

Definitely self serve snack bar (4 Gold Medal poppers) with Coke products. I noticed tons of gold framed poster cases all over. Elongated "V" wall sconce lights. There's an electric roll down gate that closes off the lobby from the mall.

I saw the sign company installing the neon channel letters. It says "Century Theaters". Electricians were wiring the signs when I left this afternoon. I saw electricians still installing exit signs throughout the building.

My opinion is that it's a nice theater, but definitely not as good as the Regal Martin Village 16. Even so, it's definitely a hundred times step up from the former Larry Moyer Capital Mall Cinemas 4 that this new theater replaces. Parking is still a big trouble here though. If you attend this theater either ride the city bus or cram as many people into your car as possible.

This is indeed a 14 plex. One hallway has auditoriums 1 through 7 while the other hallway has auditoriums 8 through 14. There's a "Starcade" game arcade on the west side of the building accessed via the lobby.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted May 25, 2007 01:06 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The design of the outside of the building is virtually the same as the Century in Deer Park, IL. That Century is very plain.
If I recall, the next few builds are the plain and simple symmetrical plexes similar to Deer Park. Summit Sierra iss like that so is Bloomington, IL I think. Hayward, CA and Boulder, CO will be like that as well.

The 20-plexes that are due up will be interesting (Clackamas, Tan-Foran). I was looking forward to them because they were some of the first plans that every department was getting involved with, not just operations. A lot of locations were built mostly to wow the customers, but as time went on, enough squeaky wheels were heard that finally there was going to be a better system of rooms to actually support the business. (Imagine a stock room big enough to actually HOLD all your stock?)

Should be interesting.

David Au

- posted May 25, 2007 03:47 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
They're finally building the theater at Tanforan? It seems like they put up a Century sign years ago. They need to finish it as quickly as possible. When it's finished maybe all the people that crowd Century Daly City will go to Tanforan instead. Daly City is the most horribly crowded theater on the face of Earth. 20 screens are not enough to hold all those people.

Here are pictures of the new Theater!!!
New Century Theatres Pictures

I think it looks quite nice.
Here's a news article that has a video of the theater.

News Article and Video

[ May 26, 2007, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: David Au ]

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted May 26, 2007 12:36 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I was at Tanforan the other day and the external walls are up at least. You can see through the exit doors that nothing internal has been constructed yet. It's going to be one of those creepy "on top of the parking garage" theatres that make me uneasy walking underneath.

Christopher Crouch

- posted May 26, 2007 03:33 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A lot of locations were built mostly to wow the customers, but as time went on, enough squeaky wheels were heard that finally there was going to be a better system of rooms to actually support the business. (Imagine a stock room big enough to actually HOLD all your stock?)

Not to venture too far off topic, but I wonder if that will carry over for a while. Chains tend to go through concept cycles; front end focus (i.e. the "wow" factor for customers), functional focus, low cost focus, etc. Unfotunately, it always seems as if chains go to extremes in these concepts, neglecting other areas. It would be nice if they actually tried building an impressive complex for customers WITH the kind of support facilities that meet operations needs. I'm primarily interested in whether Cinemark will continue Century plans longterm or switch over to their own after the earmarked Century projects are completed.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted May 26, 2007 07:06 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm told that Cinemark is adopting the self serve snack bars into their future new builds, even in existing Cinemark markets.

Ken Layton

- posted May 27, 2007 10:03 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton         Edit/Delete Post 
Curiously, there are two things I could not find in this new theater. There's no clock in the lobby to see wht time it is. Nor are there any payphones here.

I personally installed (and removed when it closed) the payphone at the old Capital Mall 4 theater. I'm surprised the new theater has no payphones.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted May 27, 2007 01:47 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
No Century theatre has clocks. The older Cinemarks did though.

As far as payphones go, the payphone business is hurt severely by cell phones. And being part of a mall, it mustn't be too far to walk for somebody to find a payphone.

Ken Layton

- posted May 27, 2007 05:14 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a mighty long walk to find a payphone in this mall. The few they have are located way the hell at each end of the mall, about a 500 foot walk in either direction.

I have a friend that owns several theaters and he owns his own payphones. One of his theaters consistently does $400 a month in the single payphone!

Dave Felthous

- posted May 31, 2007 11:51 AM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a lobby clock when I first went to work for Regal, but a new GM took it down so people couldn't time how long they stood in line at concessions. Cheaper than having enough staff...

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.