CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » New Theatre Complex in Olympia (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: New Theatre Complex in Olympia
William Newman

- posted March 17, 2007 02:56 PM      Profile for William Newman   Email William Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
In late spring 2007, Westfield Capital Mall will open new Century 14 Theatre Complex.

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton

- posted March 21, 2007 11:37 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton         Edit/Delete Post 
And with a serious lack of a place to park.

I've heard the opening is going to be on Memorial Day.

Also it's a Cinemark theater.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted March 23, 2007 06:11 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
OR is it? It may have been too late for Cinemark to truly change much. I can't wait to find out.

Mark Campbell

- posted March 23, 2007 10:40 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Will it compete directly with the new Regal in Olympia and if so will there be too many screens in one market?

Dan Roben

- posted March 23, 2007 11:37 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh...probably! Just a couple of years ago, OLY had all of 13 screens (Regal's Lacy 8, Capitol Mall 4 and a downtown indie of which the name escapes me) and now they'll have 31 screens. The Regal is located on the east side of town, while the Cinemark is on the west side, but really...Olympia is not that big of a town. In good traffic, one should be able to drive from one to the other in about 10 minutes.

BTW, the closing of the Capitol Mall 4 was a true blessing. Originally built by Larry Moyer and opened in the mid-70s, this pathetic excuse for a cinema featured very narrow and long 'bowling alley' theaters with the dubious distinction of having the fire exit door (complete with the glaringly green exit sign) directly beneath the screens at the end of the one center aisle. I only managed to see a movie there once, and once was too much!

As a side note, the Cinemark at Federal Way WA has finally started construction. I drove by there the other day and the outside walls are up, but little else. I have no idea when they are scheduled to open.

Ken Layton

- posted March 24, 2007 11:25 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine works for the City (Olympia) inspectors and says there's been tons of 'change orders' from Cinemark to cheapen the project. I've heard alot of the nice Century touches have all been removed.

Yes there will be TOO many screens in this area when this place opens. The Regal "Martin Village 16" is indeed to the east, but it has great freeway access, visibility, & parking. The new Cinemark Capital Mall 14 is on the westside of Olympia. Both these theater complexes are only 5 miles from each other. Dontown is the historic single screen Capitol Theater operated by the Olympia Film Society.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted March 27, 2007 11:01 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
As a former Century employee... that saddens me. Though I hope to be there on opening day to marvel at the Century in Cinemark's clothing.

Ken Layton

- posted April 17, 2007 05:32 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw boxes of seats going in there today. Landscaping is being done now. The metal handrails are being installed on the exterior ramps. Won't be long before this theater opens.

Ken Layton

- posted April 24, 2007 04:03 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton         Edit/Delete Post 
Screens and wall drapes are being installed now.

David Au

- posted April 24, 2007 04:46 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
What does it look like from the outside?

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted April 25, 2007 04:28 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Does it have a self service snack bar?

Ken Layton

- posted May 18, 2007 10:43 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a huge banner hanging on the east side of the building now: "Theater opens May 25, Now hiring".

Edit:

Today (May 19) the local newspaper had a brief announcement that the theater would officially open on May 25th.

[ May 19, 2007, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: Ken Layton ]

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted May 19, 2007 07:57 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhh -- a new Century Theatre I don't have to be worried about. It feels good.

Ken Layton

- posted May 21, 2007 05:51 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton         Edit/Delete Post 
The Olympian newspaper (our local rag) has been displaying ads for the new theater. It's being called "Century Theater Westfield Capital" operated by Cinemark.

They just got a load of food supplies delivered as I was driving by today. Still no actual signs on the building yet though.

Dan Roben

- posted May 21, 2007 08:01 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
In the annals of awkward names, "Century Theater Westfield Capitol" has got to be one of the worst.

Normally, I'd be hightailing it down this weekend to check it out and review it, but due to the Seattle International Film Festival cranking up this Thursday, I'm afraid the Capitol will have to wait.

Sometime after mid-June, I'll make the trek, high gas prices and all. It will be Washington's first Century...uh...Cinemark build to open.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.