CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » AMC / Loews Universal City 19 Getting Remodeled

Author Topic: AMC / Loews Universal City 19 Getting Remodeled
Jeff Arellano

- posted February 21, 2007 08:56 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
AMC is remodeling the theatre. Apparently, 8 theatres are closed right now as they are putting in stadium seating and redoing the place. They closed the box offices on the west side, took down the old marquee and more exterior work. I am glad AMC is fixing up the old place, this theatre is still definitely one of the busiest still.

There are two pics HERE

|  IP: Logged

Mark Campbell

- posted February 21, 2007 12:00 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Stadium seating might be easy to install in the big auditoriums there. But I wonder how they will do the small ones. Can they really transform this old-school Cineplex Odeon style theatre into a modern AMC like the new Century 15?

Jeff Arellano

- posted March 14, 2007 09:05 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
So I went to the theatre yesterday.

What a mess!

AMC has closed off the entire west side (theatres 1-7) and the two balcony theatres. Only one concession stand is open on the east side and the they are working on it big time.

All theatres are going digital sound, stadium seating. Should be interesting. The old blue outside is now AMC Orange.

Jeff Arellano

- posted May 30, 2007 02:09 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, yesterday was the first time I've been into the theatre since they reopened. They did a really good job on it considering how bad it was before. Definitely bigger screens than before. They made a GCC style stadium (low risers) and dug down on all the auditoriums. The two balcony theatres have been saved with stadium on the bottom and the choice of the balcony still upstairs. The theatre is much brighter, they got rid of a lot of carpeting for painted floors, which in that theatre could be a good thing. There are definitely less seats in the auditoriums, with plenty of legroom. I'll definitely go back.

David Au

- posted May 30, 2007 03:38 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
It's good to hear that they finally fixed the place up. So it looks like an AMC now? AMC red chairs, AMC name, etc.?

[ May 30, 2007, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: David Au ]

Chris Utley

- posted July 15, 2007 09:15 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Finally went here on 7/14 to see the latest "Harry Potter" in IMAX 3D. They didn't do anything to remodel/upgrade the IMAX theatre - at least the interior. The exterior of the theatre is now drowning it's patrons in a sea of orange! Weird seeing all the AMC stylings & concessions around after years of seeing Cineplex (later Loews Cineplex) stylings after all these years.

The big auds 1 & 14 have been preserved for the most part. The balconies are still there, but the new stadium seating arrangement makes these rooms look smaller. With the exception of screens 1 & 14, all the rest of these auds have the same "one size fits all" flat screens no wider than 40-45 feet with top masking. Definitely not the "bigger screens" that AMC was touting in their grand reopening ads.

I've got pictures. I'll try to send them to Adam soon.

Jeff Arellano

- posted July 15, 2007 09:19 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't get me wrong here Chris, this upgrade is definitely better than the old Cineplex style drapes and seating!

Chris Utley

- posted July 15, 2007 08:34 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's prettier...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.