CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Beverly Center 13 Cinemas (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Beverly Center 13 Cinemas
Chris Utley

- posted June 04, 2010 09:07 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
The people in my film club rant & rave about how "pretty" The Grove is as a theatre. I always refute their rants by sharing the good wisdom shared here at Cinematour & Cinema Treasures. I think all the LA folks on both sites avoid that theatre like the plague!

As a result, we haven't done a movie up there in at least a year!

|  IP: Logged

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted June 05, 2010 10:16 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Since Adam is going to be moving in the next couple of weeks it may be best to e-mail them to him or you can send a disk to me and I'll get it to him.

Maybe you could post some fo the better pics to the FB page just to quench people's appetites until then.

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 05, 2010 11:48 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I will tomorrow. Ive been helping my cousin move the last two days moving from south OC to Whittier.

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 06, 2010 11:30 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
To wet your whistle, I have uploaded 25 pictures to the Cinematour Facebook page. Due to the uploading software, they were slightly diminished in quality from the original, sadly.

All the originals will be sent to Adam later today.

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 06, 2010 05:22 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
26 emails and 5 1/2 hours later, all the pictures are in Adam's inbox.

John J. Fink

- posted June 07, 2010 07:01 AM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
Great Pictures - Thanks Jeff.

PS: This reminds me of now closed Cineplex Carleton in Toronto, which is due to be reopened this summer, hopefully with the same art films that Cineplex was showing. This theater is literally right down the street from where the former are arguably the theater that inspired Beverly Center stood (the Eaton Centre theater, which I think might be where H & M sits on the corner of Younge & Dundas). Beverly Center was like taking a trip to Canada in the mid-80's without leaving LA!

Mark Campbell

- posted June 07, 2010 09:15 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice job Jeff. Many thanks. You have thoroughly captured a piece of LA movie-going history. This is what this website is all about and you have certainly raised the bar for a perfect "Cinematour". Hopefully more members will do the same as we see the unfortunate demise of more older theaters. Every theater is special in its own way, warts and all.

Side note: Do you think programmers at the Beverly Center tried not to put scope films in number 6???

Edward Havens

- posted June 07, 2010 07:36 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens         Edit/Delete Post 
Tried? Yes.

Succeeded? Not always.

I do have a map of the theatre from the Cineplex Odeon days (early 1990s) that shows the "official" seating capacity of each theatre, and it specifically says "No Scope" on #6 and #7, even though #10 is smaller than its mirror counterpart #7, and #11 is smaller than it's mirror counterpart #6.

And yes, I will probably, eventually scan it and submit it.

Jason Whyte

- posted June 07, 2010 09:40 PM      Profile for Jason Whyte   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Whyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Edward,

Did that mean that there was no scope lens/gate/masking in those theaters, or it was just not recommended to do so? It also seems that #12 has the smallest screen out of them all and would also fall under the "no scope" rule.

Would also be very curious about seat counts and/or screen measurements before and after renovations as well. It seems to be about 75-90 seats for the smaller ones and up to 200 in #3, 8, 9 and 13.

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 08, 2010 11:09 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Once again, thank you Edward for letting me take the pictures!

Also, send me your email address again so I can send you all the pictures.

Edward Havens

- posted June 08, 2010 10:07 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens         Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, it simply means that at the time of that map printing, scope was not an option in those houses. For why, I don't know, since back then we had union projectionists, and us managers never went in to the booths.

I have the seat counts and screen dimensions for all the houses, and will post someday (sorry, I don't have them memorized just yet). [Big Grin]

Of the 11 auditoriums on the main floor, only three houses sat 100 or more, and none sat more than 125. #1 upstairs sat 451 and #2 sat 278, including the balconies. 1 and 2 were 70mm capable, although 2 never played 70mm, and both those houses were wired for 7.1 sound, although only 1 has an 8-track SDDS unit installed. And although 8 was a bigger auditorium and had a larger seating capacity, it's mirror theatre 9 actually had a bigger screen, but only by about a foot and a half.

Bill Gabel

- posted June 09, 2010 07:31 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
The reason was the picture was too small in scope in those auditoriums at the time. Later it was added, so that those auditoriums could be used as move-over houses for a print. And you forgot to add one of the auditoriums had a 16mm projector. I think there was also a second one which was sold, before I was there. It was fun to run a print interlock in those theatres down the hall. (Near Bob's desk in the booth)
I was one of the regular relief Union projectionists during the Cineplex Odeon days there.

Nice job on the pictures Jeff.
Looking at the pictures it looks like nothing really changed from the Cineplex days, if they did it's very small.

Jeff Arellano

- posted May 27, 2011 10:16 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
The Forever 21 store that replaced the theater has opened. Time to go check out and see what's left.

Jeff Arellano

- posted October 02, 2012 01:51 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
For the first time in about 2 years.. I visited the Beverly center. I walked into the Forever 21 and looked around at what was the theater. A new escalator was installed from the mall into the area that once was aud 11-12. The shape of the theater can be seen as the store curves down the original hall. A second set of escalators takes you from the original lobby to the upstairs lobby. The elevator was moved. Upstairs is the stunner, the small narrow old lobby opens up into what were the two balcony theaters. High ceiling but way low compared to what it was before. The stairs were removed from the lower level to the upper, and the theaters flattened to one level in line with the mall, no longer raised up. It’s depressing to see it this way.

Chris Utley

- posted October 05, 2012 08:59 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Why torture yourself?

All times are Central
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.