CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Beverly Center 13 Cinemas (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Beverly Center 13 Cinemas
Christopher Crouch

- posted August 09, 2009 03:26 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
Surprisingly, as mentioned on Cinema Treasures, Rave appears to have picked the theatre up (per a job listing that matches the address). While Rave will certainly put more in to the site than Mann did, I still question how any operator can make a go of the theatre in it's current location. Even if they were to add all digital (something Rave is known for) and do some significant remodeling, being located inside the Beverly Center (top floor corner no less) doesn't particularly lend itself to being a competitive site these days.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Utley

- posted August 10, 2009 08:45 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been to the Rave in Las Vegas. They're going to have to do some MAJOR restructuring to the place to make it fit their all stadium/all digital/all VERY! LOUD! BLINDING NEON GREEN & ORANGE! decor.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted August 10, 2009 10:37 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps the mall is willing to work with them to make it a profitable theatre again. Who knows.

I'm also curious to know how Rave is as an employer, I've known a few people that worked for them early on in the beginning that said they were extremely disorganized and inconsistent, but I have to think that things have gotten better now that they have so many locations and are so spread out. I suppose the other question is do they plan to continue running the theatres or is this a quick build of a chain so they can sell it off to Regal or AMC? The way RAVE just sprung up makes me wonder...

John J. Fink

- posted August 10, 2009 07:12 PM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
I had heard the same roomers about Rave being built as an investment - it's run by an ex-executive from Hollywood Theaters.

As for Beverly Center, per Rave's note on Twitter (twitter.com/ravemovies), they won't be running it as their brand which makes sense: Rave runs theaters as Chris points out that are loud and heavily branded. They will be stepping in to manage the place and presumably get first crack at building a new theater should the mall decide to do so.

I have to wonder does Rave run any other unbranded site they are hiding? I've seen National Amusements sites that aren't branded as Showcase, Cinema De Lux, or Multiplex Cinemas - often because of prior arrangement.

The theater is so inconsistent with the Rave business model and sounds like such a strange place that they must be getting a sweet deal. They also noted on the Twitter feed that they plan on showing the same types of bookings, have no plans right now to upgrade to digital (the chain otherwise is 100% digital), and any remodeling will be at the mall's discretion (the chain otherwise is 100% stadium seating).

I had thought at one point perhaps Rave was launching its own discount line (like Cinemark's Interstate Theaters and the strange alliance between them and Starplex that I never quite understood), but I'm guessing mall management wouldn't want a discount house and all the riff raff that sometimes comes with those theaters.

Jeff Arellano

- posted August 10, 2009 09:29 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I applied for the GM position. I havent been in the theatre industry for 6 years, but after 10 years in it, I still know my stuff.

Christopher Crouch

- posted August 10, 2009 09:49 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose it would make sense if they are doing it as a management deal that would set them up for a more lucrative project in the future.

I've heard some questionable stories (well, one poor review from a former manager) about working for Rave too. I'm also a bit surprised by the base salary listed in their job posting for this theatre. Unless the comission/bonus package is potentially generous, that's rather low for a general manager, at a thirteen screen theatre, in the Los Angeles market.

quote:
(like Cinemark's Interstate Theaters and the strange alliance between them and Starplex that I never quite understood)
Forgoing the confusing back story, Interstate and Starplex are now the same company (Starplex LLC) and no longer part of Cinemark. Basically, Interstate broke off of Cinemark and merged with Starplex.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted August 12, 2009 09:41 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
It was my understanding that Interstate was started by one of Lee Roy Mitchell's relatives, possibly his brother or nephew or something.

They still seem to be pretty close to each other what with just about every old Cinemark Movies # being turned into a Starplex. [Smile]

Chris Utley

- posted August 12, 2009 10:15 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I applied for the GM position. I havent been in the theatre industry for 6 years, but after 10 years in it, I still know my stuff.
Jeff, if you get the job, let me know. My film club network will definitely be sending some business your way!

Christopher Crouch

- posted August 12, 2009 01:52 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It was my understanding that Interstate was started by one of Lee Roy Mitchell's relatives, possibly his brother or nephew or something.

Interstate was started by Charlie Funk. Starplex was started by J.C. Mitchell (Lee Roy's brother).

quote:
I applied for the GM position. I havent been in the theatre industry for 6 years, but after 10 years in it, I still know my stuff
Good luck. I hope you get it. It would be nice to know a cinema enthusiast (hmm, what exactly do you call this interest in theatres we have?) is running the site.

Chris Utley

- posted August 28, 2009 08:31 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
The theatre is now listed in the Independent Theatre Guide section of the (printed) LA Times. No titles listed (listing says "Please Call Theatre For Show Information") but the prices are listed: $9.50 at night & $7 for Matinees before 6 PM. Seniors/Kids (3-11) are $7 also and Students get in for $8 with ID.

Mark Campbell

- posted August 28, 2009 06:12 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Did it really reopen?

John J. Fink

- posted August 28, 2009 06:43 PM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
They're calling it RDM (or per Rave's site: Rave Digital Media). I see some are called RPM (Rave Motion Picture) and others are RDM. What's the difference? Are RDM sites not 100% digital? I'm confused here.

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted August 28, 2009 11:08 PM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently,per a post at Cinema Treasures,it won't reopen until NEXT friday.

Mark Lensenmayer

- posted September 05, 2009 04:20 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer         Edit/Delete Post 
I just checked into the difference between Rave Digital Media and Rave Motion Pictures, and the result is a surprise to me.

Rave Motion Pictures is a privately held theatre circuit in 14 states. Rave Digital Media is a partnership between the officers of Rave Motion Pictures and Continental Real Estate. They operate the Cincinnati location, and locations in Las Vegas, Omaha and Brentwood. RAVE Motion Pictures are contracted to operate these locations.

The surprise is Continental Real Estate. That operation just purchased the shopping center about 1 mile from me, and is starting major renovation. The chief officer lives in the same suburb of Columbus as I do, Upper Arlington. The headquarters of Rave Digital Media is in downtown Columbus.

Even with this connection, I would doubt RAVE would build in the renovated center...it is 3 miles from a very successful AMC 24-plex (AMC Lennox), 5 miles from a Landmark 7-plex, and 4 miles from an 11-screen Movie Tavern. I do know that they are planning on a very large grocery store at the new site.

I sure didn't expect to see a Columbus connection when I started looking into this!

Chris Utley

- posted September 11, 2009 11:05 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
The listing for this place in the Independent Theatre Guide section of the print LA Times Calendar section now has showtimes. Looks like they're doing a mixture of 2nd run arthouse AND mainstream titles. At $7 in the day and $9 at night, that's still too expensive.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.