CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Regal Red Rock Stadium 16 - Las Vegas, NV >> Off Topic (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Regal Red Rock Stadium 16 - Las Vegas, NV >> Off Topic
Chris Utley

- posted December 01, 2006 08:42 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Getting back on topic, I share Jeff's concern about Regal's upcoming LA "flagship". Judging by my visit to their new Red Rock 16 in Vegas, it's looking kinda shaky. Their theatre layouts may be just fine for the folks in the burbs of American who don't know any better. But they're trying to stake a claim in the Film Capitol of the World. They'd better go all out for this one!

[ December 01, 2006, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Chris Utley ]

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Arellano

- posted December 01, 2006 08:49 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Back off subject (sorry guys)

Dan, maybe Chris and I can meet you up in Los Angeles for a movie at the Arclight when you come down.

Chris Utley

- posted December 09, 2006 11:44 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
BTW...the day before this, we went to the Regal (UA) Showcase (next to MGM Grand) where we saw "Deja Vu" in full blown, center channel speaker rattling STEREO...
I just got home from Regal (Edwards) Irvine Spectrum where I had the exact same experience with "Blood Diamond". Yuk! I've just about had it up to here with Regal!

David Au

- posted December 10, 2006 12:41 AM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that is an outrage. However, I think I think I know why. Sometimes films are not delivered with the necessary DTS cds for the soundtrack. If the auditorium is only equipped to play DTS sound, the film will play in analog stereo by default.

I totally agree that someone should have set up the movie in another auditorium that could play it in some other form of digital sound such as Dolby Digital or SDDS. Dolby Digital sound comes directly off of the film print and does not need discs. However, if the entire movie theater is only equipped to play DTS sound, the movie is doomed to play only in analog stereo.

Mark Campbell

- posted December 10, 2006 04:48 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Top down masking ain't gonna cut it in The Capital, folks!
Unfortunately top down masking is cutting it at Pacific's flagship The Grove in Los Angeles. Too bad they didn't follow the model of their upscale Arclight. Indeed, all the screens I've seen at the Arclight are side masking. When the Grove shows a Flat (non-scope) film in one of their larger auditoriums, the picture is almost too big! (if people can believe such a thing) I always have to sit near the back.

Side masking is the way the film gods intended. A widescreen picture should mean a larger picture, not a smaller one. Could you imagine going to a 70mm movie and having the screen shrink to present it? (I know this is a fantasy because no new stadium theatre is capable of 70mm, except the Arclight which moved over Lawrence of Arabia from the Cinerama Dome once).

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.