CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » New Manistee Theatres and other theatre updates.

Author Topic: New Manistee Theatres and other theatre updates.
Kara Tillotson

- posted September 26, 2006 05:16 PM      Profile for Kara Tillotson   Author's Homepage   Email Kara Tillotson         Edit/Delete Post 
I have done some more research and discovered two more Manistee theatres whose buildings are apparently still standing.
#1 The Gem Theatre located at 391 River Street (now Careys Clothing store)
#2 The Electric Theatre located at 55 poplar.Building now part of National City bank.
I am working on locating more info on these.

Also, additional info on the Lyric Theatre at 415 River.
It had 540 seats downstairs and 44 upstairs.
In Jan of 1977 there was a fire that did extensive smoke damage, and it was remodled in April of 78.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel

- posted September 27, 2006 07:49 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
During the 40's there where two other theatres listed in that town.
The Cedar Theatre (300 seats)
The Oak Theatre (600 seats)

To add to your info, The Lyric , Ramsdell and Vogue Theatres were part of the Butterfield Theaters Co. during the 40's which was a subsidiary of Paramount Pictures Theatre circuit.

Kara Tillotson

- posted September 27, 2006 12:32 PM      Profile for Kara Tillotson   Author's Homepage   Email Kara Tillotson         Edit/Delete Post 
really? How interesting. I have never heard of those two.
Do you happen to know where they were located?
Whered you get your info?

Yeah I knew about butterfield,they actually bought the Ramsdell just to shut it down to get rid of "competition"..

Bill Gabel

- posted September 27, 2006 01:06 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
The info is from Film Daily Yearbook. These books had alot of info about the industry.

No I do not have locations on the other two theatres, because I'm in my office and my other books are at home.

Kara Tillotson

- posted September 28, 2006 12:23 PM      Profile for Kara Tillotson   Author's Homepage   Email Kara Tillotson         Edit/Delete Post 
wow. how cool. what other info do they have on manistee theatres in General? I would love any info you have. Do that have any photos?
Ive been all sorts of places here locally trying to get more info.

BTW has anyone heard anything about some guy who went ass over applecart over the balcony back ages ago?

Bill Gabel

- posted September 28, 2006 03:03 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
In the 1933 edition the only theatres listed were the Lyric and the Ramsdell. At that time the Ramsdell was listed as being closed and not wired for sound yet. Both theatres where part of the Butterfield Michigan Theatres Co. division of the Paramount's Publix Theatre chain.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.