HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » GCC Lincoln Plaza

Author Topic: GCC Lincoln Plaza
William Newman

- posted September 18, 2006 11:15 AM      Profile for William Newman   Email William Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
I had noticed this morning working with former GCC Lincoln Plaza 8 Cinemas. Would like to know to continue as cinemas or building being down.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Campbell

- posted September 18, 2006 04:41 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't think anyone would want to open this as a first-run theatre with the Regal Lakewood 15 a few miles away (which killed of the Tacoma Mall Twin, Tacoma South AND the Lincoln Plaza, with which it played the same films). Perhaps a second run house or Cinema-Pub? It could probably book almost any film it wanted since the Mall and South are gone and it previously shared with Lakewood 15 in the past. It's zone might overlap with the Tacoma Cental 6 though.

Dan Roben

- posted September 18, 2006 07:52 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. Regal practically owns the Tacoma market with its Lakewood 15 (by the way, an Act III designed house, but never operated by them). The Lakewood puts to shame the AMC/Loews Lakewood Center 12 (or whatever it's called now) and AMC's aging Narrows 8.

Initially, it might have made more sense for Galaxy to move into the former GCC house (it was much nicer than the Tacoma Central, a bare-bones Cineplex Odeon build from the early 90's), but the Central does benefit from being farther away from the Regal monster, which I'm sure helps sell more tickets.

Tacoma is a strange market in that it seems to be relatively underbuilt. If you want to go see a film with all the bells and whistles, the Lakewood 15 is the only game in town.

Dave Felthous

- posted September 19, 2006 09:04 AM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
Before I left Regal earlier this year I heard that Lakewood was going to add five screens.

William Newman

- posted September 19, 2006 04:44 PM      Profile for William Newman   Email William Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dave, this is first Regal adding 5 more screens at existing Lakewood 15.

Mark Campbell

- posted September 20, 2006 10:20 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone confirm what exactly is happening at the Lincoln Plaza?

I agree with Dan that Tacoma is an underbuilt town. (Living in LA now with a new booking zone every 2 miles reinforces that thought). Everything seems to lean toward Lakewood, just south of Tacoma, with the Regal Lakewood 15 and the AMC Loews Lakewood Town Center 12 sharing product. There is a large gap between those 2 theatres and the Tacoma Central 6 and AMC Narrows Plaza 8, which split product.

It used to be much more diversified until ACTIII/Regal opened the Lakewood 15. In the early '80's SRO ruled the town with the Tacoma West 3 and the Tacoma Mall Twin. Then in Lakewood was the GCC Villa Plaza I-II-III and in South Tacoma was the independent Village Cinemas 4 (not in Cinematour, possibly linked to Seattle's old Seven Gables chain). Flirting with playing first run movies but winding up a dollar chain until its demise in 1984 was Galaxy Theatres, which ran most of the single screeners left: Temple, Rialto, Roxy (now Pantages), Bijou (now Blue Mouse), Narrows (not listed in Cinematour), Lakewood and Parkland. No theatre played the same film, all were divided up amongst the theatres. SRO played WB, Paramount, Columbia. GCC played Fox and Universal. The rest was broken up between the other theatres.

In 1983 Zones were created in Tacoma with the opening of the AMC Narrows Plaza 8 and the addition of 2 screens across the parking lot for the Tacoma West in West Tacoma, and the opening of SRO's Tacoma South 5 in South Tacoma. Thus in the Western Zone was AMC Narrows Plaza 8 and SRO Tacoma West 5, and in the large Central/South/Lakewood was SRO's Tacoma Mall Twin and Tacoma South 5, Village Cinema 4, and GCC Villa Plaza I-II-II.

In 1988 GCC replaced the Villa Plaza with the Lincoln Plaza 8 several miles away (topic of this thread) and the zones remained the same. Village Cinemas shuttered later that year.

In 1989 Cineplex Odeon (having gobbled up all SRO theatres in 1987) created a new zone in Lakewood by opening the Lakewood Mall 6 (later to expand to 12) on the old Villa Plaza site. Thus there were 3 zones: West, Central/South, and Lakewood.

In 1990 Cineplex built the ackwardly placed Tacoma Central 6, which could not play the same films as AMC Narrows Plaza 8 in the West, or the GCC Lincoln Plaza and Cineplex Tacoma Mall Twin in the Central area. It could play the same films as Cineplex's Tacoma West and Tacoma South, which was not to its benefit because the other theatres usually got the prime bookings. For a while Cineplex would book independent and foreign films on a couple of the Cental's screens. (The Central's location would later be a benefit under Galaxy's opeation after the Lincoln Plaza, Tacoma Mall and Tacoma South closed).

With the opening of the Lakewood Stadium 15, the Tacoma area became lopsided in its zoning with the overscreened Lakewood zone broken in 2 and the the rest of Tacoma covered by the AMC Narrows 8 and Tacoma Central 6, 2 miles from each other and far away from the Lakewood theatres. (the independent non-profit Grand 3 in North Tacoma/Downtown supplies Tacoma with independent and foreign films).

In my mind Tacoma proper is due for new builds. West Tacoma could support a 15 screen stadium theatre to replace the Narrows Plaza 8. And the revitalized North Tacoma/Downtown could probably use a multiplex, although it might need to be smaller due to property and parking constrictions (perhaps done in an already-existing structure, keeping the flavor of the older section of town). The Cental could possibly survive this being centrally located.

Don't ask me how I know all this. I am a movie and movie theatre geek who grew up in Tacoma in the '80's who now works in the movies and commercials in LA. But back to the my original question:

Can anyone confirm what exactly is happening at the GCC Lincoln Plaza?

William Newman

- posted September 20, 2006 12:58 PM      Profile for William Newman   Email William Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
What I found out former Lincoln Plaza 8 Cinemas will be a fitness center. It might be Pure Fitness.

Mark Campbell

- posted September 20, 2006 03:08 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
A similar fate to that of the Tacoma South Cinemas...

BTW: Lincoln plaza had a rare (for Washington) 70mm booking of "The Abyss" in its THX house. The theatre was frustratingly half-hearted when it opened because GCC did it a bit on the cheap with 1 THX house, 3 Dolby Stereo houses, and 4 small mono. I believe they later made all houses digital stereo by the time it closed.

I would hazard a guess that this was one of the last theatres to be built in Washington to be built equipped to run 70mm. I believe but cannot confirm that the GCC Renton Village 8, built in 1989 on the site of the razed Renton Village I-II-III (a fact that Cinematour needs to correct as they show the AMC Renton Village 8 being built in 1967, the date of the old theatre) might have been 70mm equipped in its THX house. Regardless, neither the Lincoln or Renton had very impressive screens for 70mm. Their large THX houses were in the 400 seat range.

Dan Roben

- posted September 20, 2006 04:57 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I am impressed with your extensive recent history of Tacoma theaters. Truly brings back a lot of memories. I, too, am a theater geek and even though I lived in the suburbs north of Seattle in the 70s and 80s, I made frequent trips to Tacoma to check out the theaters, managing to see them all before their demise.

A couple of things brought up in your post need a little clarification. First, the Galaxy Theater chain (the people who owned all the single screen theaters mentioned) is not the same Galaxy Theater Circuit based out of California which just happens to own/manage the Tacoma Central 6. Somewhat of a unique coincidence I'd say.

Second, Randy Finley, founder of the Seattle art chain Seven Gables, did operate for a time the Village 4 along with a partner, though it was never considered a part of the Seven Gables chain. I believe they called themselves Cascade Theaters. They also operated for a short time, the Federal Way Twin Cinema (orginally, the Northwest's only Jerry Lewis Cinema) as well as the single screen Lakewood Theater.

Another area of Tacoma and the surrounding suburbs that is ripe for a megaplex is Parkland/Spanaway, an area located about halfway between Lakewood and Puyallup. This population in this area is booming and is far enough away to support such a theater.

Interesting to read that GCC had 70mm installed at the Lincoln Plaza. I was only aware of SRO's Tacoma Mall Twin (the large house) and Tacoma South Cinemas (one house) as the only venues able to show 70. Of the two SRO theaters, only the Tacoma South had a large enough screen to screen 70 properly. The screens at the Lincoln Center and Tacoma Mall were too small, and therefore unimpressive, but at least the improved six track stereo sound could be enjoyed as intended.

Sometime during the mid 90s, there were early plans announced for a multiplex in downtown Tacoma (megaplexes didn't exist then) but protests from the large (and apparently powerful) group of downtown antique shop owners squelched those plans.

I'm not surprised that the Lincoln Plaza is turning into a fitness center. That has already happened at Seattle's Broadway Market Cinemas as well as the afore-mentioned Tacoma South.

Maybe it's a west coast/east coast thing. In the west, old theaters become gyms. In the east, they all seem to turn into drug stores...

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted September 20, 2006 05:42 PM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
Or they get torn down entirely such as the single screen Mann Fox(awesome 70mm! Saw "Raiders of the Lost Ark" there in '81)in Las Vegas,NV or the Pacific Inland Center 5(70mm on one screen)in San Bernardino,and turned into parking lots.

I don't remember what happened to the SRO/Pacific Montclair(California)triplex. I know their biggest screen was 70mm as were screens at the GCC Montclair Plaza I-II-III(on a window box screen,or whatever it was)and the UA Monclair 6.

Sorry if it's OT,but i couldn't resist the talk about 70mm and SRO.

Good times. [Smile]

Mark Campbell

- posted September 20, 2006 10:01 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, while we are on 70mm in Tacoma...

I worked one summer at the Tacoma Mall Twin in '89 when it had Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade on both screens, 70mm in the big house. The top masking had to be raised to present 70mm, although the screen was slightly out of alignment with the booth making the bottom right corner a bit soft in focus. The projectionist said that it was no doubt due to the split, as it used to be one big house (similar to the Southcenter). I was always impressed, though, with the big house at the Twin. Saw Top Gun there God knows how many times with my high school friends. Unfortunately only saw one film in 70mm at the South: "Ghostbusters".

There has been more 70mm in Tacoma than just the Tacoma Mall, South and the Lincoln Plaza however. In 1981 The Rialto in Downtown had a Re-Release showing of "Empire Strikes Back" in 70mm. Not sure what else the Rialto showed in 70mm, but I had an ad clipping at one time for this engagement (the musty old Rialto has a special place in my heart because as a kid I saw a double feature of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and "Airplane!" four weekends in a row, instilling in me a desire to be in the film business).

Also, in 1985 the Temple, Rialto and Parkland were open again under a company called Star Cinemas. During this time the Temple had 70mm 2nd run $2.00 engagements of "2010" and "Dune" both of which I saw. "2010" started at the Tacoma Mall Twin in 70mm, moved to the Tacoma West in 35mm, and to the Temple in 70mm. "Dune" started at the Villa Plaza and Narrows Plaza 8 in 35mm and then moved to the Temple in 70mm! (Where I saw it for the first and only time in the theatre.)

I used to keep all the Friday entertainment sections of the Tacoma News Tribune which helped me retain all this silly knowledge. I wish I had them now!

I feel like starting a Seattle/Tacoma Theatres thread to chat about theatres in the area, past and present, with other theatre geeks.

Dave Felthous

- posted September 23, 2006 07:29 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
Lakewood 15 update: I drove past there this week and there's no sign of any expansion. Must not be happening. Perhaps that budget went to the Meridian acquisition.

Mark Campbell

- posted September 23, 2006 11:09 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
5 more screens at the Lakewwod would probably be equivalent to the Meridians 16 screens...

Dave Felthous

- posted September 24, 2006 10:24 AM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
I continue to be puzzled by Regal's acquisition of the Meridian. A Regal employee told me that her GM commented that "this is highly unusual" for the company.

Ken Layton

- posted September 24, 2006 11:06 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton         Edit/Delete Post 
This is interesting as to something happening at Lincoln Plaza. A friend of mine who operates a local western Washington chain of theaters was just getting ready to come down this week to talk to the real estate company about leasing this theater to re-open it.

A note about the Lakewood 15: I understand that the new Martin Village 16 in Lacey has really cut into attendance at Lakewood 15 enough to kill the additional screens idea at Lakewood. Martin Village is consistently busy all the time. The screens in this theater are HUGE!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.