CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » AMC Meridian 16 May Part of Regal Cinemas (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: AMC Meridian 16 May Part of Regal Cinemas
William Newman

- posted August 23, 2006 01:52 PM      Profile for William Newman   Email William Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
Had heard AMC Meridian 16 may sold to Regal Cinemas in fall of 2006. AMC Theatres keep the Pacific Place 11, I like this theatre complex lot better than Meridain 16 Cinemas.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Felthous

- posted August 24, 2006 09:24 AM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
If Regal buys the Meridian it would be its first in-city location in the Seattle market. Regal usually sticks to the suburbs, although it has two newish theaters in downtown Portland. Anybody know whether the proposed megaplex at Northgate has been awarded to a vendor?

Ken Layton

- posted August 26, 2006 04:27 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if Regal will keep the union projectionists?

Dave Felthous

- posted August 26, 2006 10:20 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
There are no unions at Regal. All projectionists are managers trained in a four-step certification program that requires many hours of work. It's impressive, and it shows in their presentation (most of the time...)

Mark Campbell

- posted September 05, 2006 09:25 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if Regal would make any inprovements on the Meridian 16. When Cineplex Odeon opened the place in the late '90's there was an uproar over bad sightlines, small screens, and limited slope floors. This was probably one of the last non-stadium plexes to be built in the Seattle area. Many were also angry that Cineplex closed Seattle's beloved Cinerama after this theatre opened (but were not angry over closure of the Newmark and City Centre Cinemas.) The Cinerama was later spared by Paul Allen. When General Cinemas built the infinitely superior Pacific Place 11 a few blocks away there was much relief that Cineplex had lost its monopoly on downtown Seattle.

I have not been to the Meridian in years, but AMC is smart to sell it off in favor of the Pacific Place, Cinerama and Uptown. If Regal does take over the Meridian, hopefully they will make some improvements to keep it competitive.

Dan Roben

- posted September 05, 2006 06:39 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if Regal could do anything to save the Meridian, except perhaps completely gutting it and starting over. To be fair, I haven't set foot in the place in years, and I have no idea if AMC has been able to turn it around, but under Cineplex Odeon and Loews, the Meridian was poorly designed and poorly run.

Again, my memory is growing faint, but I believe that the ceilings are too low for a stadium retrofit. The two large houses are relatively long and narrow, and the small houses are almost square in shape. In short, this was (and is) a very ill- concieved cinema.

But the place packs 'em in (no accounting for taste) and I welcome the brain trust at Regal (or whoever takes it over) to make it work. They certainly can't make it any worse.

By the way, I'm curious about Regal taking the Meridian over. There has not been any announcement made and as Dave stated in an earlier post, Regal really doesn't like to operate in center city locations. I'm wondering where William Newman got his information. Portland is an anomaly, only because it has such a strangle-hold on that market.

Dave Felthous

- posted September 05, 2006 09:47 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
I was one of the many Meridian customers who complained loudly about the high-back seats obscuring the screen. I eventually received a reply from Cineplex saying they were replacing the seat backs. They also said that the building had been constructed in such a way as to prevent a stadium configuration.

I haven't been there in years, but I remember that the floor outside and also in the back tows of one auditorium, No. 6, I think, shook alarmingly. I wouldn't want to be there in a good quake.

As a former employee, my guess is that the Regal rumor is just that. A couple of years ago we were told that Regal was cutting way back on expansion and would build only three or four theaters circuit-wide each year. I assume that the new Everett 16 is one of the three or four for 2006 and that Regal is done here for quite a while.

William Newman

- posted September 06, 2006 01:11 AM      Profile for William Newman   Email William Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, I was at Meridian 16 at month ago and had couple of ushers announce Regal may take over. It stay tune and building need a major improvements.

William Newman

- posted November 16, 2006 08:15 AM      Profile for William Newman   Email William Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
Meridian 16 in Seattle still have Cineplex Odeon sign on exterior of the building. Would like when Regal change the sign from Cineplex to Regal

William Newman

- posted March 26, 2007 04:56 PM      Profile for William Newman   Email William Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
I had noticed Meridian 16 had changed the sign from Cineplex Odeon to Regal. Sign was changed sometime last week.

Paul Morris

- posted September 26, 2011 03:17 AM      Profile for Paul Morris   Email Paul Morris         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, I was there about within the last 2-3 months and the manager was telling me that yes Regal took it over in mid 2007 and that there were some renavations going to happen, like adding more of the RealD3D screens, there are about 6 of there 13 screens that are 3D and more to come, they said that they are trying to compete with the AMC Pacific Place 11, what do you guys think, adding more 3D screens to a theater that already has almost half of them already 3D, worth the fact of walking in and seeing a movie? [Confused]

Edward Havens

- posted September 27, 2011 10:46 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens         Edit/Delete Post 
Having more 3D-capable auditoriums, especially in smaller rooms, opens more placement opportunities for all titles.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted September 27, 2011 12:02 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
It all comes down to the bookings. If the 3D helps them get the better movies, great. Otherwise I'd think that the distributors are splitting product between the two and that usually means half the year the AMC will get the good movies and the other half Regal will get them (or equivalent thereof).

Mark Campbell

- posted September 28, 2011 10:27 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Do distributors take theatre quality into account? The Meridian is a pretty crappy Cineplex Odeon build from 1996 with almost no slope to the floors and bad sightlines.

The Pacific Place was one of the last GCC builds. I am usually not a stadium theatre lover but this one is pretty nice. Especially the big house.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted September 29, 2011 01:29 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
They take $$$ into account. If one traditionally grosses higher than the other -- then it's their favorite.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.