CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Mann National, Westwood (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Mann National, Westwood
Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted April 20, 2007 08:44 PM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
National General/Mann National Theatre:3-26-1970/4-19-2007

Gone too soon,but never to be forgotten.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Coate

- posted April 20, 2007 11:43 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate         Edit/Delete Post 
Bill (Gabel): what Westwood premieres did you work?

quote:
I was there last night.
Mark (Campbell), I was there, too. I asked two or three people if their name was "Mark," but after three replies in the negative I gave up asking! Otherwise, I would've said hello.

Bill Gabel

- posted April 21, 2007 07:50 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
I did "Lassie" and "Jason's Lyric" at the National.

Mark Campbell

- posted April 21, 2007 10:10 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Michael, I guess I wasn't that social when I got there. I was the one in the charcoal sweater and jeans snapping lots of pictures down by the curtain before and after the show.

Mark Campbell

- posted May 05, 2007 03:01 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Adam has posted my closing night shots of the national on Cinematour.

http://www.cinematour.com/tour/us/2134.html

And somebody on Cinema Treasures claims the National will reopen under a new operator on May 11th. True? or speculation?

http://cinematreasures.org/theater/799/

(Michael, you can see me in the mirror in one of my shots. Are you in any of my photos?)

Michael Coate

- posted May 06, 2007 11:34 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in Westwood today and walked by the theatre. A sign on display in the boxoffice window suggests the theatre indeed will re-open on Friday the 11th. Whether it's being re-opened by Mann Theatres or another outfit, I couldn't tell you at this time.

That's great that the place will be re-opening, but it does create a problem of sorts since for the past couple of weeks Bill Kallay and I have been chipping away at a special tribute article. I guess now we'll just have to hit the "delete" button! Kidding. I suppose we can still run the article if there's any interest out there.

Jeff Arellano

- posted May 07, 2007 04:22 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, get ready to update the site again!
This is WONDERFUL news!!!!!

http://www.laobserved.com/intell/2007/05/mann_national_may_not_be_dead.php

Mann National may not be dead
TJ Sullivan • Bio • Email

*UPDATED BELOW*

The sign pictured at right showed up this weekend in the ticket window of the shuttered Mann National in Westwood Village, calling into question reports of the big-screen movie house's reported "date with the wrecking ball."

As previously mentioned on LAO, the Mann National is one of a dwindling number of big-screen theaters still standing in LA. It's a place where "The Exorcist opened to huge lines and ran what seemed like forever, and same for The Godfather."

Perhaps this means it has achieved a stay of execution, as some had hoped would happen.

For now, all I know is that the sign says "Theatre opening Friday May 11th."

*UPDATED: Mann Theatres no longer leases the theater building and referred questions about its operation to Tom Daugherty, who said during a brief telephone interview that he and a partner now hold the lease. Daugherty said the ticket window sign is correct, that the theatre will reopen this Friday (May 11) with The Ex, starring Zach Braff and Amanda Peet.

Daugherty said movie goers can expect the theatre to continue to show first-run features, just as it did under Mann.

Bill Gabel

- posted May 08, 2007 12:24 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
There was a Tom Daugherty that was the Head of Projection maintenance a few years ago for Mann Theatres, before he went to work for DTS and then opened a theatre service company. If it's the sameone his wife's brothers operate Regency Theatres chain.

Christopher Crouch

- posted May 08, 2007 03:05 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Mr. Daugherty is also the person who took on the old Mann Culver City a few months back.

Michael Furlinger

- posted May 09, 2007 08:33 PM      Profile for Michael Furlinger   Email Michael Furlinger         Edit/Delete Post 
Any more news on who the operator will be ..name it will operate under...

Michael Coate

- posted May 11, 2007 05:09 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate         Edit/Delete Post 
From today's Los Angeles Times...

In the display ad for "The Ex" the venue is listed as "The National Theatre" with no operator identified.

I saw no listing for the place in the directory of independent theatres.

Bill Gabel

- posted May 12, 2007 02:45 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
It's no longer on the Mann Theatres site. When you go to the premiere page and click a former listing of a premiere at the National, it gives an error page. Where it once gave the National Theatre info and a few pictures.

Bill Gabel

- posted October 09, 2007 06:57 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
FYI: The online petition is now up to 75 signatures. looks like the theatre might be closing for the last time in the very near future.

Mark Campbell

- posted October 12, 2007 09:01 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Has the National quietly closed today? There are no showtimes listed anywhere and the phone rings and rings....

Bill Gabel

- posted October 12, 2007 04:57 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
Someone on CinemaTreasures posted they quietly closed last Sunday Oct. 7th. 2007. The last feature was "Feast of Love".
Like you posted there are no show times anywhere for the theatre.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.