CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Mann National, Westwood (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Mann National, Westwood
Mark Campbell

- posted July 27, 2006 03:46 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know if Mann is still planning on closing the National in Westwood? The link to the following thread suggests Mann might let the theatre limp along:
http://cinematreasures.org/theater/799/

Another thread on same site about possible closing:
http://cinematreasures.org/news/14323_0_1_0_C/

|  IP: Logged

Brad Erickson

- posted July 27, 2006 10:06 AM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering the same thing. There seems to be some type of agreement made but for how long it is not known. My guess is that something was worked out for the time being, weather it is a month-to-month thing or they signed a lease for another year or so. Mann will probably hold onto the theatre until they can get the proposed 5-plex off the ground.

From what I understand the 5-plex hit a snag; if it ever gets going I would say the National will be history. The number of seats from the National and previously closed Plaza, UA and Mann 4-Plex would be enough to cover whatever the seat count would be for a new complex. From what I remember, the reason Westwood hasn't been over-run with theatres is there was a cap on the number of seats allowed. Also parking has to be provided; if a new complex is built they would probably provide underground parking for it.

I'm hoping the National will be around at least for a couple more years, but I think its days are unltimately numbered. :-(

Chris Utley

- posted July 28, 2006 02:05 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
5-plex? Every theatre better seat at least 250 with THX/Digital/Stadium Seating/60 Foot screens in order for it to survive. Yuk!

Mann should just build a bridge between Village & Bruin, buy the remaining block that the Bruin's sitting on (even Village for that matter!), and build a multiplex there. I know that sounds like a logistical nightmare, but its just a thought...

Christopher Crouch

- posted July 28, 2006 03:08 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt we'll see Mann do much of anything (outside of sitting on the theatre, as long as the lease agreement remains affordable). It's been quite some time since Mann has shown any signs of being a healthy company. As other companies grow, merge, and/or attempt to keep pace with the industry, Mann just maintains.

Mark Campbell

- posted July 28, 2006 05:20 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
If Westwood would just have decent inexpensive (or free) parking like the Grove, Century City, Santa Monica, Arclight, Hollywood Highland etc ($1 to $2 for the duration of a movie) and perhaps close Broxton turn it into a promenade, perhaps they could turn Westwood Village around. There is no excuse for an area with such dense population, not to mention a major university right there.

Mark Campbell

- posted July 31, 2006 09:52 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw a matinee of Superman Returns as a "farewell" to the theatre this weekend and found out that Mann has signed an additiona 6 month lease! That would get it through the holidays.

I got deeply nostalgic watching the traditional Superman opening credits in the National glorious 1970's decor auditorium. Even the smell of the place reminded me seeing the original Superman as a kid at the Tacoma Mall Twin in 1978.

The National's presentation was excellent as usual. Got some photos that I will submit soon.

Brad Erickson

- posted July 31, 2006 10:44 AM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
Did they say anything about after the 6 months? Would more time be considered if decent terms are negotiated? I am hoping to make it there soon but there hasn't been anything showing there I want to see.

The 1978 version of SUPERMAN:THE MOVIE opened at the National in December 1978 and played there for 3 months.

Mark Campbell

- posted July 31, 2006 10:53 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
If you haven't seen it I would suggest seeing Superman Returns there. Sadly they only have one showtime for that title daily (4:50 PM). The rest of the day is taken up with Clerks II.

Mark Campbell

- posted April 18, 2007 08:34 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like the National's closing is for real this time. IMDB showtimes is showing nothing for the National this Friday. R.I.P....

Mark Campbell

- posted April 19, 2007 07:09 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Final show tonight! 10:10 PM "Shooter". Dolby Digital THX. I will be there on this sad occasion...

Brad Erickson

- posted April 20, 2007 09:42 AM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
I posted this on Cinema Treasures also.

I grew up in Santa Monica during the 70's and early 80's. The only way to see First Run films then was to go to Westwood. My Saturdays were spent taking the bus there to see a new film. The National was always impressive to me even back then. The design was sleek and modern; the lobby took you upstairs to this HUGE comfortable auditorium that did not have one bad seat.

My first sighting EVER seeing the National was when "The Mackintosh Man" was showing. I remember thinking how cool the marquee was; the big expressive sign made you already that you were in for something special. I worked at the Mann Village from 1980 to early 1983; Both theatres were considered the "it" theatres in L.A. County. Studios fought over bookings, but ultimately Paramount and Warner always won out.

In the 70's my bus visits took me to see such gems as "The Bad News Bears", "Islands in the Stream", "Heaven Can Wait", "Superman", "Big Wednesday" and the underrated "The Big Bus".

The early 80's it was all about "Raiders of the Lost Ark". A bunch of us from the Village "snuck in" opening night (when they had a sold out crowd). Back then we all had friends at all the MANN theatres in the Westwood. Getting in on opening nights were tough, but somehow we all managed to get in. During the 80's it was mainly Paramount's premiere theatre (Warner usually had the Village).

The 90's brought competition with Century City and Santa Monica delivering first run films. Trendy was not Westwood any longer. Crowds rather sit in a small character-less theatre. There was no appreciation for a theatre like the National. Sadly MANN felt it was not in the best interest to keep the theatre going; you could see them losing interest over the years. Last year (2006) they managed to book "The Da Vinci Code" and an expansion run of "Brokeback Mountain"; but the bookings otherwise consisted of the films no one else really wanted. My last visit was February 17th for "Music & Lyrics". I'm glad I made it, but am sad I no longer am able to see a film at this great theatre ever again.

Some notable films that played first run at the National in the 70's include "Dog Day Afternoon", "The Wind & the Lion", "The Front", "Starting Over", "The Fortune", "Bobby Deerfield", "Sorcerer", "Bound For Glory", "Star Trek: The Motion Picture", "The Godfather" and "The Exorcist"

The 80's: "Reds", "Beverly Hills Cop", "The Untouchables", "Rain Man", "Top Gun", "Crocodile Dundee", "Brainstorm", "Star 80", "Footloose", "Empire of the Sun", "Greystoke", "Black Rain",
and all the Indiana Jones Films.

The 90's: All the Jack Ryan Thrillers, "Wayne's World", "Courage Under Fire", "Mission:Impossible", "Days of Thunder", "The Talented Mr Ripley", "The First Wives Club", "In & Out", "Boogie Nights", "Entrapment", "Star Trek:First Contact", "Runaway Bride". Face/Off", "Saving Pvt. Ryan".

Since 2000: "The Italian Job", "What Women Want", "S.W.A.T.", "Gangs Of New York", "School of Rock", "Brokeback Mountain", "The Da Vinci Code", "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider", "Charlie & The Chocolate Factory", "March of the Penguins", "Mean Girls", "Closer", "The Manchurian Candidate."

It may be gone. But obviously and thankfully I have fond memories.

Chris Utley

- posted April 20, 2007 10:15 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
R.I.P. National. 37 years of glory gone in a flash. We will miss you.

Mark Campbell

- posted April 20, 2007 10:31 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
I was there last night. What a sad occasion. Never seen so many flashes (including my own) going off in a theatre. There was a "crowd" of about 40 people, most of which seemed to be there for the closing. The National's final show was a top-notch flawless presentation. Very Impressive. Too bad the final film "Shooter" was a pretty lousy movie. I took about 60 pictures and a few movies. I am sure Cinematour will be inundated soon...

Michael Mohan

- posted April 20, 2007 01:29 PM      Profile for Michael Mohan   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Mohan         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man, wish I had known. Not that I would have actually gone to see Shooter. Even though it's less than a mile away, the last film I saw there was actually quite appropriate; the premiere of Gigli. That might have been the last actual premiere that theatre has seen.

Bill Gabel

- posted April 20, 2007 03:48 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
No, the last Premiere at the National was "Little Man" on 07/06/2006.

Last few years of Premieres at the National Theatre.
  • Darkness Falls--01/22/2003
    The Core--03/25/2003
    Daddy Day Care--05//04/2003 with Bruin
    Legally Blonde 2--07/01/2003
    Gigli--07/27/2003
    Second Hand Lions--09/18/2003
    Timeline--11/19/2003
    Agent Cody Banks 2--03/06/2004
    Man on Fire--04/18/2004
    Upside of Anger--03/03/2005
    Beauty Shop---3/24/2005
    Sin City--03/28/2005
    Monster In-Law--04/29/2005
    Happy Endings--06/26/2005
    Brokeback Mountain--11/29/2005
    Just My Luck--05/09/2006
    Little Man--07/06/2006

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.