CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Mainplace 6 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Mainplace 6
Christopher Crouch

- posted June 22, 2006 01:48 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
The lease for the Mainplace 6, in Santa Ana, CA. has apparently been picked up by Picture Show Entertainment.

Picture show is a relatively new discount chain, run by former Cinemark executive Jeff Stedman.

With the theatre moving to full time discount, Robinsons May closing, and JC Penny moving in, it looks like the Mainplace Mall is shifting demographics. Hopefully, the theatre will be brought back to some of it's pre Captain Blood's glory under the new management. Although, I think the location will be an uphill battle, as even AMC struggled with this theatre.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Mohan

- posted June 22, 2006 12:52 PM      Profile for Michael Mohan   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Mohan         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember back in college how odd the programming was at this theatre. It was an AMC then, but ran arthouse pictures for a while. I think it was one of two theatres in the US that ran Catherine Breillat's "Romance". I also remember seeing "Buffalo 66" there, but way after it closed anywhere else.

Kyle Muldrow

- posted June 22, 2006 01:56 PM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Any word on an opening date? And what chances do you give this place as a discount house?

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 22, 2006 04:52 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
This theatre has a lot of room in it for offices.

Also, I can only seeing this as a theatre, since it is located in a n odd location in the mall (3rd level, escalator in food court).

Christopher Crouch

- posted June 23, 2006 01:12 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I remember back in college how odd the programming was at this theatre. It was an AMC then, but ran arthouse pictures for a while.
I worked at Mainplace around that time (98'). The programming was a bit different because they were basically waiting out a lease. The theatre was budgeted to lose money by then and the focus for that area was entirely on opening the Block 30; the theate's old district offices were even being used as the Block's pre opening base. At that time, they wanted to go discount or full art house, but the mall wouldn't allow it. Thus, they went with the odd mixture (I remember having titles as varied as "Pie", "Orgasmo", and "Prince of Egypt" playing).

As for being a discount location, I think they will run in to the same problem this theatre had with other formats. Peak movie going hours don't correspond with mall hours and this theatre is located well within the mall. People don't like walking through a closed mall to get to the theatre. If the theatre had exterior access, it would be a different story, but, unfortunately, they don't.

Kyle Muldrow

- posted June 26, 2006 03:25 PM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife (of 3 months) and I were in MainPlace on Sunday, June 25. We walked by what used to be the box office for the theatre and there was a sign in there saying to watch for "Picture Show Entertainment" in the fall. That leaves about a four month window of time to shoot for a specific date, but I guess that's a smart move on their part, as they probably want to see what needs to be remodeled and/or redone to that place.

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 26, 2006 04:06 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
AMC Kept that theatre in great condition. Blood ruined it.

Christopher Crouch

- posted June 26, 2006 06:36 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
That's odd that they are holding off until the Fall, forgoing the prime Summer months all together. Between years of neglect under Blood and the likelyhood that he made a point to leave the theatre in a "difficult" state, I'm sure there is quite a bit of work to do on the facility. However, 3+ months is a long time.

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 27, 2006 04:00 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
If they open in say, September, they will be getting a lot of the summer movies im sure.

Ron Pierce

- posted September 27, 2006 07:44 PM      Profile for Ron Pierce   Email Ron Pierce         Edit/Delete Post 
Westfield's Web site says the theatre will open on October 20th.

http://www.westfield.com/mainplace//news/index.html

Kyle Muldrow

- posted September 29, 2006 09:49 AM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Does Picture Show Entertainment have a website? I tried Googling it but nothing came up. You'd think they'd have some kind of corporate web presence.

Christopher Crouch

- posted September 29, 2006 11:35 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
Their website is pictureshowent.com, but the site is still "under construction".

As for Mainplace, an aquaintance of mine recently toured the theatre and commented that it still needs a lot of work.

Jeff Arellano

- posted September 29, 2006 03:56 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said before, Blood just trashed that theatre. It was such a well kept theatre when AMC had it (and their area offices as well - a lot of offices upstairs).

Ron Pierce

- posted October 04, 2006 08:56 AM      Profile for Ron Pierce   Email Ron Pierce         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a link pertaining to Picture Show Theatres.

http://www.csindy.com/csindy/2004-07-22/film.html

Christopher Crouch

- posted October 04, 2006 02:43 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
Some more information about the theatre:

Picture Show is planning on opening the theatre for business on 10/20.
They've torn out the old (seldom used) second concessionstand and turned the area in to a party room.
New wall coverings in the auditoriums (grey), but the original seating remains (likely to remain grandfathered in for FDA standards).
The projectors, sound racks, etc. had to be replaced.
It sounds like they won't be having a late set, as my source was told management would be out by 10:00 nightly (a good idea, as the mall stores close around 8 or 9).

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.