HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Edwards Big Newport

Author Topic: Edwards Big Newport
Joe Clyne

- posted June 13, 2006 05:23 PM      Profile for Joe Clyne           Edit/Delete Post 
OK I remember this being a great theatre. But I havent been there sense it was bought out by Regal. My question to those who been there recently or during its ownsership under Regal is, did Regal mess it up like they did to most of the Edwards, or is it still kind of the same.

|  IP: Logged

Christopher Crouch

- posted June 13, 2006 07:17 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't say Regal has messed it up, but the Big Newport definitely lost something under the new ownership. Nothing particularly dramatic changed, other than the Big auditorium's curtains not being utilized regularly, but there are subtle differences that make it less impressive.

Joe Clyne

- posted June 13, 2006 07:49 PM      Profile for Joe Clyne           Edit/Delete Post 
What are the subtle differences?

Chris Utley

- posted June 14, 2006 09:19 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from the curtains being opened like Chris Crouch said - as well as the annoying "Regal First Look" digital preshow that adorns the open screen - Big Newport has remained relatively free from Regal's tampering. The Big Auditorium still outshines every other theatre in the O.C. - Irvine Spectrum included!

Joe Clyne

- posted June 14, 2006 05:32 PM      Profile for Joe Clyne           Edit/Delete Post 
The Irvine Spectrum 21 went to hell in a handbasket. Ya, I cant stand that pre show garbage [Mad]

Christopher Crouch

- posted June 14, 2006 07:57 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
One difference I have noted is the loss of top notch, veteran employees. Back when I first frequented this theatre, there seemed to be a higher standard for working at the Big Newport. In particular, I remember the staff and management being a bit older (in a few cases much older) than you'd find in the average theatre (ie. most were career theatre people, who had been in the industry their entire lives, and they cared deeply about their theatre). These days, they appear to be your run of the mill workers who are approaching the position as a short term job to pay the bills. It's not so much that the "new" managment and staff are bad, just not of the high caliber from years past. I can't actually say that's entirely Regal's fault, as I noticed this transition beginning when Edwards Sr. passed away and his son took over. More a reflection of how the industry has changed than someone's mismanagement.

Overall, I think the biggest difference is that the Big Newport was Edwards Sr's "flagship" theatre and he held it to the highest standard possible. These days, it's just another theatre in the portfolio of a huge company.

Bill Gabel

- posted June 15, 2006 08:22 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
Very well put Christopher.

Each theatre company tries to change with the times. Having worked for many of the chains and theatres in the Southern California market for years, that these veteran employees were the backbone of what these chains were made of. I spent most of my years with Mann and Pacific Theatres. I worked with and for many veteran managers from the Fox West Coast/National General/Mann days. Many of them retired in the mid to late 80's, when many of the chains started to get more corporate. Up until that time you could make a nice career as a theatre manager or projectionist. One of the theatres I liked to work in Hollywood was the Hollywood Pacific Theatre. When I closed that theatre, many of the floor staff had worked that theatre or for the company over 10 years. And they maintained that house perfectly. Because they loved that theatre even with budget cuts from Pacific's home office. I have been to the Big Newport many times, it was always a nice show. It was Edwards Sr's baby and it showed.

Joe Clyne

- posted June 15, 2006 09:47 PM      Profile for Joe Clyne           Edit/Delete Post 
Ya I think I know what you mean.
So the architecture is still the same?
They still have that magestic marquee, the neon lights, and the plam trees and lawn, and the same box office, ect?

Christopher Crouch

- posted June 16, 2006 02:17 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it looks the same. Cosmetically/facility wise, there hasn't been much change since the stadium addition.

Todd Erwin

- posted July 08, 2006 08:36 AM      Profile for Todd Erwin   Email Todd Erwin         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be really nice if Regal would fix the cropping problem with screen #2. Edwards built aud #2 with a 2:1 fixed screen. [Mad]

That is the only thing that always keeps me from giving the theatre a full 5 stars.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.