CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Former Krikorian Locations (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Former Krikorian Locations
Christopher Crouch

- posted May 25, 2006 03:01 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff (or anyone who might have information):

On Cinema Treasures (in the La Mirada profile), you mentioned some of the old theatres Krikorian sold to Regal in 96' (Diamond Bar, San Bernadino, etc.). Do you know if any of those theatres are vacant/still standing? I know his old Peninsula and Fashion Square locations are long gone, but I've been unable to find any information on the fate of the theatres you listed (ie. I'm looking for potential discount venues).

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Arellano

- posted May 25, 2006 04:48 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
San Bernadino is still up and vacant. its in a really poor area. I dont know what it looks like today. I'll be in that area Sunday. If I have a chance, I'll swing by.

Diamond bar is still up and vacant. In fact, this is the only theatre in the san gabriel valley that is still vacant and not torn down. This theatre has had many ownership changes in the years. Last time I went, it looked ok still. Its a rather good size 8 plex, about the size of the La Mirada. There are pics on here:

http://www.cinematour.com/tour.php?db=us&id=1966
Diamond bar 8

http://www.cinematour.com/tour.php?db=us&id=2767
Del Rosa 8 in SB.

Christopher Crouch

- posted May 26, 2006 03:16 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
Talk about too late on my part. I decided to check out the Diamond Bar theatre this afternoon. Saw the theatre from the street; still standing, good sign. Pulled in the lot and saw the venue was vacant, better sign. Then, I drove up to the front of the theatre. It's currently being gutted. I couldn't tell if it's being remodeled for retail space or just in an early stage of being leveled (a large portion of the complex has recently been demolished), but it's now a hollow shell. Too bad, as it looked to be in a good location.

Jeff Arellano

- posted May 26, 2006 05:30 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
well, that sucks.

my list of potential closing theatres and what will be the factor:

AMC Montebello 10 (Loews 14 / Krikorian Pico Rivera)
Pacific Hastings (stiff competition from AMC Santa Anita)
Edwards El Monte 8 (see above)

Christopher Crouch

- posted May 27, 2006 03:07 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
Montebello would be ideal, but AMC locations have proved to be somewhat difficult aquisitions.

It's interesting how various chains approach theatre closings. Some just remove their equipment and leave the site up for grabs. Others seem to go out of their way to make it as difficult as possible to use the site. If they don't sit on a lease or go in to a "non competition tenant" agreement with the landlord, they resort to flat out vandalism. In the case of La Mirada, Regal did things like back cut most of the electrical wiring, plugged up plumbing with debris, slashed screens, and left gutted equipment. They were reqired to leave the seating, as per their lease, but there wasn't anything written about the seating's condition. So, they disassembled the seats and left them piled in the hallway. The Woodbridge's former tenant had to be locked out of the building in order to limit such damage.

Kyle Muldrow

- posted May 27, 2006 07:11 AM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

Was that Edwards or Todd Blood who had to be locked out of the Woodbridge?

That's really sad about the Diamond Bar 8. I lived in DB for about a year and went to that theater a lot. It was a pretty decent place. But it seems that whole shopping center isn't doing very well. They've also knocked down a bunch of stores on the opposite end of the center, I believe. You'd think a town like Diamond Bar could easily support a theater. Oh well...

Jeff Arellano

- posted May 27, 2006 11:20 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Mainplace 6 is available now I hear too.

Kyle Muldrow

- posted May 27, 2006 12:36 PM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Does this mean Todd Blood is out of business? Or is he still running his original theater in Orange?

Jeff, when did you find out about this? Is the theater in MainPlace closed now?

Jeff Arellano

- posted May 27, 2006 12:40 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I read it on cinematreasures. He closed Mainplace a week or two ago. He is focusing in only on the Village.

He sure knows how to run theatres good! [Roll Eyes]

Christopher Crouch

- posted May 27, 2006 01:58 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
Kyle: It was Blood.

As for Mainplace; I worked there during my AMC days. The problem with that theatre is the inner mall location. Prime movie going hours don't correspond well with mall hours, so patrons have to walk through a closed/darkened mall to get to the theatre at night/during holidays and many just assume the theatre is operating under the mall's hours. I can remember doing single digit attendance on some days (and that was with AMC's larger advertising budget).

It's too bad Mainplace wasn't situated differently in the mall, ie. with exterior access. I always liked that theatre.

If anybody were going to take that theatre on, I'd predict Regency. They seem to be willing to take on venues most other chains wouldn't consider (ex. Laguna Beach and Newport's Lido). Their art/mid run mixture would also be better suited for Mainplace.

Kyle Muldrow

- posted June 01, 2006 02:38 PM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

I apologize for straying off the topic, but a thought just hit me: If Starplex is looking for a location in St. Louis, they might consider the Eureka 6 Cine, a former Wehrenberg location that closed about two years ago. Assuming it's still standing (which I admit I don't know) It's located in a small shopping center (not a mall) and is in a growing population area. Maybe a Starplex rep in STL can check it out.

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 03, 2006 11:03 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I drove by the Diamond Bar today, and walked into it (too bad i didnt have my camera). Its being leveled. They still have the booth area there, but no auditorium walls, nothing. its gone.

I wish i had my camera.

Christopher Crouch

- posted June 04, 2006 01:05 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
Mainplace has already been picked up by an operator out of Colorado. Apparently, it will be run as a discount theatre.

Kyle: I don't really have much input/knowledge of potential aquisitions, outside of Southern California. They recently purchased a few midwestern theatres from Cinemark and are working on a first run theatre in the South East, so I wouldn't rule Missouri out, but I don't know if they are looking there or not.

Jeff Arellano

- posted July 28, 2006 03:49 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, I just remembered another former Krikorian location that I beleive is still intact:

Upland.

Its an 8-plex and I may be passing that way today so I can still see if its intact and for lease.

Jeff Arellano

- posted July 29, 2006 01:22 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Never mind. Its been gutted and turned into a beauty college.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.