CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Life Magazine: The most ______ theaters (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Life Magazine: The most ______ theaters
Chris Utley

- posted May 07, 2006 06:31 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
I was at The Dome last night watching 2K digitally projected M:I-3. Great movie...nice picture and sound (of course).

|  IP: Logged

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted May 07, 2006 08:57 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I live near San Jose, I can go see movies in domes whenever I want. Thank you Century 21 and 22. [Smile]

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted May 07, 2006 10:52 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Every time I'm in Los Angeles and have the opportunity to go see a movie, I check the Dome first. Mind you, I've never seen a show in the Dome because it's either closed for a private screening or something un-Dome-worthy is playing when I'm there. I mean, seriously, Benchwarmers?

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted May 08, 2006 08:17 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah -- I paid to see Starsky & Hutch at the Chinese just to say I saw something at the Chinese. Well that and I was stranded in Hollywood with a hangover...

Ron Newman

- posted May 08, 2006 09:02 PM      Profile for Ron Newman   Email Ron Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
In greater Boston, I'd nominate:

Brattle Theatre, Cambridge -- "Boston's unofficial film school"

Harvard Film Archive, Cambridge -- wide variety of unusual programming, located in Le Corbusier's only US building

Coolidge Corner Theatre, Brookline -- classic art-deco art house in a great neighborhood

Somerville Theatre, Somerville -- 1000-seat theatre with balcony, open since 1914, used for both live shows and movies. (Four additional screens added in 1990s.)

Studio Cinema, Belmont -- family-run single-screen second-run survivor

Loring Hall, Hingham -- another single screener, in a classic building

Cabot Street Cinema, Beverly - single-screen second-run house, used for both movies and weekly magic shows

Joe Vogel

- posted May 09, 2006 05:00 AM      Profile for Joe Vogel   Email Joe Vogel         Edit/Delete Post 
If they want to include what may be the oldest movie theatre in the United States (operating since 1905), that would be the Fountain Theatre in the small town of Mesilla, New Mexico.

Bill Gabel

- posted May 10, 2006 07:32 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Cinerama Six is 'Cinerama' in name only. It is not equipped to show three-panel Cinerama films.
Many of the Cinerama theatres that were built after 1964 were not equipped to show the three-panel format, because of Ultra-Panavision and 65MM wide screen formats. The company used in ads the wording that the theatre was a Super Cinerama house. So you could be called a Cinerama house even if you could not show three-panel. In the last remodel at the Dome, that when they got equipped to run the three-panel format.

My votes would go to:

• Orpheum Theatre (Downtown Los Angeles)
    Los Angeles Theatre (Downtown Los Angeles)
    Arlington Theatre (Santa Barbara)
    Wiltern Theatre (Los Angeles)
    Pantages Theatre (Hollywood)
    Warner Hollywood Theatre (Hollywood)

Ron Newman

- posted May 10, 2006 08:00 AM      Profile for Ron Newman   Email Ron Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's OK to nominate a theatre that is now used primarily for live shows, but still has a popular summer movie series -- then I nominate the gorgeous Ohio Theatre in downtown Columbus, Ohio.

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted May 10, 2006 08:53 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
The writer wants theaters that are currently operating as full-time cinemas.

Dave Felthous

- posted May 11, 2006 07:09 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
In Seattle, Life should definitely look at the Harvard Exit, once dubbed "the most charming cinema in America" by the New Yorker, and also the Columbia City Cinema,in a remodeled Masonic temple; it's charming and funky. (OK, so I work there...)

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.