CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Life Magazine: The most ______ theaters (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Life Magazine: The most ______ theaters
Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted May 04, 2006 06:53 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's your chance to spotlight your favorite most _____ theater.

From an email:
quote:
I'm writing a cover for Life on unusual American cinemas and would love to use you as a source. Last week, our cover was on unusual churches -- the smallest, the hippest, the most stained glass. It was a big hit and now we want to do movie theaters. Specifically, we're looking for things like the most romantic, most remote, most haunted, highest altitude, best food, most family friendly.
Make your suggestions of categories and cinemas in this thread!

|  IP: Logged

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted May 04, 2006 11:10 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I should've been keeping a file on all the weird theatres we come across during our trips.

Perhaps I'm biassed cause it's local, but the Orinda 3 in Orinda, CA is one of the most romantic theatres I've been to. From the plush carpet art to the gold leaf ceiling to the overly elaborate 49 seat auditorium. This is where I would take fellow theatre enthusiasts back when I was dating.

Studio 28 in MI has GOT to be mentioned. Its evolution from drive-in to 20 plex is certainly interesting.

Century 21-24 in San Jose, CA. I think having the four theatres in such a close proximity is crazy enough, let alone the fact that they're DOMES.

There have GOT to be more noteworthy theatres... I'll get back to this in the morning. [Smile]

Jeff Eisentraut

- posted May 05, 2006 09:15 AM      Profile for Jeff Eisentraut   Email Jeff Eisentraut         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to nominate the Orpheum Theatre in Hillsboro Illinois as the most family friendly theatre.
Three years ago this theatre was closed and the outlook was gloomy because of the small population base of this community. The downtown area was in serious decline with many empty storefronts.

In November 2003, the theatre was puchased by the Eisentraut family of Iowa. Jeff Eisentraut was a longtime showman until he took a break from theatres in 1998. During that time, Jeff saw exhibition from a different perspective, that of a patron. High admission and concession prices along with many other factors were driving families away from theatres. The typical family only went to "event movies" once or twice a year. Jeff developed an aggressive business plan for operating another theatre and put it in play at The Orpheum. Here's the Basics:
1. $5.00 admission for everyone which includes popcorn and soda.
2. Aggressive marketing. Promote everything
3. Service Service Service. Men wear tuxedos. Pre-show announcements are made in person.
4. Clean theatres
5. Never, ever commercials
6. A real family operation (see article)
http://www.thejournal-news.net/orpheum.htm

This theatre was awarded "Business of the year" by the Chamber of Commerce this year and I am pleased to report business is brisk boasting weekend sellouts eight of the last ten weeks.

The general public is craving good entertainment and a value at the same time. Small town theatres can survive and thrive with hard work and creativity.

Roger Katz

- posted May 05, 2006 07:19 PM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
I nominate any Showcase cinemas theatre for the most boring category!

The Evil Sam Graham

- posted May 05, 2006 08:18 PM      Profile for The Evil Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email The Evil Sam Graham         Edit/Delete Post 
Without having been there, Cinetopia in Vancouver, WA might fit the "best food" category. Their website indicates they have a four-star chef and a wine list with around 100 wines. Food can be delivered to the "living room" auditoriums.

Clearly, the Warren Theatres of Wichita have to be fit into SOME category...Best modern palace?

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted May 05, 2006 09:49 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to go to Cinetopia, but they're too seafood based and don't likes the seafood. But I bet you're right, they seem to have the whole upscale experience goin on there.

And lol re: Showcase. I haven't seen nearly enough of their locations to know for sure, but they don't appear to be the most unique buildings.

I think I have an affinity for National Amusements because they ran a lot of those old CINEMA I-II buildings that I love so much. And like General Cinema, they evolved into a well oiled machine of corporate branding and similarity. Cause by damn, when you're at a National Amusements Theatre, you KNOW it.

Christopher Crouch

- posted May 06, 2006 03:46 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
"Greatest clash of egos" might be found in Ontario, CA., with the AMC Ontario Mills 30 and Edwards Palace 22. Two grand old theatre moguls, AMC's Stan Durwood and Edwards' James Edwards Sr. (both now deceased), saw fit to build competing megaplexes on either end of a mall parking lot. 52 screens of ego!

Jeff Arellano

- posted May 06, 2006 11:34 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Greatest redevelopment of an old theatre:

Arclight and Cinerama Dome.

To incorporate a theatre that was on the verge of being torn down to make one of the highest grossing complexes in the US, not to mention how upscale this theatre is compared to others.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted May 06, 2006 12:22 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen a movie at ArcLight or in the Cinemara Dome... but the whole place just feels pretentious to me. Aside from having the dome, and the pictures/descriptions I've heard, the complex isn't anything that special. I've been in the lobby, and yay for the bar! but what else does it have that's so special?

Mark Campbell

- posted May 06, 2006 04:03 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
...go to the Dome Scott...go to the Dome!

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted May 06, 2006 05:51 PM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
The most"Time Warp-ish" theatre i could recall was the old Red Rock 11 in Las Vegas.

The front of the building was standard boringness,but in the rear of the theatre was more of of carnival atmosphere with games and shops.

I only went there twice to see "Skatetown U.S.A."(1979) and "The Great Muppet Caper"(1981) but it was fun until the mid 80s when the shops closed and the whole place eventually closed not too long ago.

Dennis Pierce

- posted May 07, 2006 07:11 AM      Profile for Dennis Pierce   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The Cinerama Dome theatre in Los Angeles is one of the more unusual places to see a movie. The Dome looks bigger on the inside than on the outside. When I was a kid I remember seeing it and thinking that it was a giant golf ball stuck in the ground. Now I know that it's one of the best places to see a big screen presentation.

Jeff Arellano

- posted May 07, 2006 09:13 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
SEE SCOTT! EVERYONE LIKES THE DOME!

[Big Grin]

I would say The Most Cinerama Theatres and include the dome, the AMC Cinerama in seattle, and what other ones are open still?

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted May 07, 2006 10:34 AM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
Pacific's Cinerama 6 in San Diego is still around,as far as i know.

Dan Roben

- posted May 07, 2006 12:29 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
The Cinerama Six is 'Cinerama' in name only. It is not equipped to show three-panel Cinerama films. The only other theater equipped to show Cinerama is at a museum located in Great Britain.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.