CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Charter Centre Cinemas- Huntington Beach, CA. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Charter Centre Cinemas- Huntington Beach, CA.
Christopher Crouch

- posted April 28, 2006 03:37 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
With a new megaplex being built close by, I would assume they'd transition Federal Way to a discount house, after the other theatre opens. The company is very flexible and regularly adjusts their theatres to fit the corresponding areas; Irvine was opened as a mid run, saw modest attendance, then moved to second run and saw patron levels rise dramatically. That's one of the benefits of these smaller, "old" theatres, being able to tailor them to meet changing business conditions with ease.

I've never been to this theatre, but I've heard it was one of our easier acquisitions. Where many theatres are left stripped, requiring upgrades/remodeling/replacement, Federal Way was basically "turn key" when we took it over.

|  IP: Logged

Kyle Muldrow

- posted April 28, 2006 04:07 PM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

Thanks for the info on Starplex/Interstate. That clears that up...and Starplex does sound neater. [Smile]

You are totally right about the lease issue in California. Rent is INCREDIBLY HIGH out here, which means nobody wants to be a tenant. With no tenants, the landlords don't have needed income to make improvements, so the building deteriorates. Talk about a vicious circle...I guess that's what happening to that theater in Costa Mesa I mentioned.

I'm not surprised the Brea Center Theater was in poor shape. I remember seeing "Lord Of The Rings" there about three years ago and the air conditioning went out, followed closely by the projector. It's amazing that place stayed open as long as it did. Speaking of Brea, a better location (if it's still standing) would be the old UA Theater at Brea Marketplace, which is on Birch St. accross from Brea Mall. When that place was first-run, it was one of my favorites because it was always clean and had good sound and picture quality. It was in the back of Brea Marketplace and there was an Improv Comedy Club back there. It even had a parking garage with the UA logo right next to it. However, that part of the shopping center may have been torn down, although I think the parking garage is still standing. The theater closed when Edwards opened their two new houses in Brea and the Improv moved to a new location on Brea Blvd. It might have been torn down, but if it's still standing it would make a great discount house.

Hey, I can hope, can't I? [Big Grin]

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted April 28, 2006 04:11 PM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish they had taken a look at the old(1984-99)GCC Rancho 6 in Colton. as it is,i think they tore it down to expand the nearby RV dealership.

Le sigh...

Kyle Muldrow

- posted April 28, 2006 04:41 PM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Guess I should have looked at the Cinemas on this site before posting. The UA Brea Marketplace Theater has been converted into a 24 Hour Fitness. So much for that idea...

Well, I guess I'll ask about my hometown of St. Louis. There are two discount houses there (St. Andrews in St. Charles and Keller Plaza in South St. Louis County...at least I think Keller Plaza is still showing movies). Chris, any word on whether Starplex is thinking of taking over places in my old home town?

Jeff Arellano

- posted April 28, 2006 05:31 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Kyle, the old GCC 2 Plex in Fountain Valley is being transformed into a live Vietnamese theatre accoring to the OC Register a while back.

How about the Trolly 8 in San Diego, former Pacific.

Around here, the San Gabriel Valley is in dire need of a dollar house. The problem here is, there are no multiplexes empty currently. All have been torn down it seems.

Chris, if I am around La Mirada, I may stop by and say Hi (with my camera)

Christopher Crouch

- posted April 29, 2006 01:07 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Chris, any word on whether Starplex is thinking of taking over places in my old home town?

I haven't heard anything mentioned about St. Louis, or the Missouri area. However, that doesn't mean they aren't looking.

quote:
Around here, the San Gabriel Valley is in dire need of a dollar house. The problem here is, there are no multiplexes empty currently. All have been torn down it seems.

That would be a prime area for a discount house. The old AMC Puente 10 would have been perfect. If only they hadn't leveled it.

I remember there being a Mann six plex relatively close to the Puente mall area. I know Mann closed it several years back, but I haven't seen any information on the building's fate. Do you know if that theatre is still standing?

Jeff Arellano

- posted April 29, 2006 10:02 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
The Mann 6 was leveled a few years ago and is now a Staples.
The Mann 6 in glendora is still there, but has been gutted i beleive.

The only thing I can think of is quickly picking up the AMC Montebello when (and if) that closes. Loews had signed a lease to build a 14 plex in Monterey Park, about 5 miles from the AMC Montebello 10, and Krikorian is building the Pico Rivera theatre finally. This theatre is already suffering attendance wise, its suprising that this year is the 14th anniversary of the theatre.

Dave Felthous

- posted April 29, 2006 02:03 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
The Starplex Gateway 8 in Federal Way, WA, has reduced its prices, but not to bargain-house rates, while continuing to show first-run movies. Matinees are $5 and evenings $7. Seniors and kids pay $5 all day. I have no idea when Century's megaplex is supposed to open.

[ April 29, 2006, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

Mark Campbell

- posted April 29, 2006 09:03 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

Here are some properties Starplex might be interested in in my old home state of Washington:

Tacoma:
Lincoln Plaza 8 ( http://www.cinematour.com/tour.php?db=us&id=2617 )- This GCC 8-plex was opened in 1988 and was shuttered in the late '90's or early 00's. Regal opened the Lakewood Stadium 15 about 3 miles away which killed the Tacoma Mall Twin (I worked there as a teen, demolished), Tacoma South (nice 5 plex with 70mm built by the respected SRO, now a gym) and the Lincoln, which shared films but could not compete. The Lincoln had one THX 70mm capable auditorium which played a rare 70mm print of the "The Abyss" in 1989. As far as I know the building is still standing and vacant for the past 5 or so years. It is centrally located in Tacoma, a few blocks from the Tacoma Mall, with easy freeway access from all areas of town. This area could use a discount house with low-middle income families and the Fort Lewis Army base nearby.

Puyallup:
Puyallup 6 Cinemas - Opened in 1983 by Portland-based Luxury Theatres (the joke's on you!) the Puyallup cinemas had a monoply for years in Puyallup as the only first-run theatre within miles. Often it would play movies that had entered 2nd run elsewhere and charge first-run prices (the great Fall '84 premiere of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom!) on its mono-sound mono-masked screens (are all films 2.00:1?) Now why do I think this theatre a good find? Act III Theatres bought Luxury Theaters in the '90's and in addition to building several all-THX houses in the area, remodeled and upgraded several existing Luxury builds, including the Puyallup 6. They later built an all-THX 6-plex in a mall nearby and the 2 theatres co-existed for a while. Enter Regal in the 00's which takes over Act III and builds a Stadium 14-plex in Puyallup. After a brief run as a 2nd run house the Puyallup 6 is shuttered, nice remodel and all! Puyallup is a wildly expanding town with new housing and population growth soaring, it could be ripe for a more screens, 2nd run or possibly 1st run if zoning allowed.

Lacey:

Lacey 8 - With its own new stadium megaplex recently opened nearby, Regal shuttered the Lacey 8 and still has a monopoly on Washington's capital.

Spokane:

Newport 8 - ( http://www.cinematour.com/tour.php?db=us&id=2609 ) Not sure if it is still standing, but the Newport 8 was a nice mid '80's 8 plex now shuttered. Spokane, the only big city in Eastern Washington, is lacking 2nd run screens.

Everett 9 - OK it is still open, but rumor has it that Regal will shutter this former all-THX Act III build when their new all-stadium 16-plex opens in the near future. When it does, there will be no other theatres in the town that builds Boeing 747's!

Hopefully some of these theatres might be saved. I think they are all great properties that could due well for a company like Starplex.

Dan Roben

- posted April 29, 2006 11:51 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, your comments regarding potential Starplex takeovers is spot-on! I would add to the list, Regal's South Hill Mall 6-plex. Also an Act III build, Regal is booking it poorly (all of the big films are going to their Longston Place complex a few blocks away). While it's still open, I can't imagine that it will be much longer. This theatre was also built to THX specs.

With all the positive talk regarding Starplex, I guess I'll have to take a drive down to Federal Way to check out their operation. I'm always willing to support theatres that "do film right."

Your comments regarding Luxury Theatres "where luxury is only a word" made me smile and brought back memories. Besides the lack of masking and stereo sound, who could forget their trademark practice of strategically placing garbage cans inside the auditoriums at the ends of various rows of seats? By the end of the night, those cans were overflowing with trash. Now that is classic Luxury!

Mark Campbell

- posted April 30, 2006 09:16 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Dan,

Some nice photos of the Lacey 8 still exist showing the yellow-orange-brown Luxury Theatres coloring scheme. Looks like stereo was added at a point, probably when ACT III owned it. http://www.cinematour.com/tour.php?db=us&id=2538

True about the South Hill 6 in Puyallup. My folks live near there so I go there now and then when I am in the area. Seems they mostly book all the family films and the "leftovers". Regal dropped the THX at all the ACT III builds. Too bad! They are far better that any new Regal theatre (do all their lobbies have to look like ice cream parlors!).

Can't believe Regal might shutter the Everett 9 when the new theatre opens. I went there on its opening weekend in 1992 just because it was Washington's first All-THX theatre. Here's hoping Starplex, or anyone interested, is paying attention.

Dave Felthous

- posted April 30, 2006 04:22 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
Regal will be closing Everett 9 and Everett 3 when the 16 opens this summer. The 3 is inside Everett Mall and presumably will become retail space. I expect the 9 will be demolished. I quit Regal in February but the word then was that major equipment from the 9 (projectors, etc.) would be parcelled out to other Regals. Alderwood in Lynnwood was hoping to get the projectors, which are newer than the original equipment (20 years old) still in use.

Chris Utley

- posted April 30, 2006 11:33 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
AFAIK, the former Regal/Edwards Park Place 10 in Irvine is still standing. Any plans to make a play for this theatre?

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.