HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Grand Cinemas

Author Topic: Grand Cinemas
William Newman

- posted April 13, 2006 05:04 AM      Profile for William Newman   Email William Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
Former Grand Cinemas Alderwood will be torn down and build new Kohl's.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Campbell

- posted April 13, 2006 10:06 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone should get pictures. Not many SRO builds left...

Dave Felthous

- posted April 15, 2006 07:13 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
The Grand has been torn down. And none too soon. Loews let it slide for the five years prior to being assured of winning the Alderwood Mall project. Seats were broken and filthy, there were frequent sound and projection problems. No loss, that's for sure.
The new Loews 16 nearby is killing the Regal 7, that was stadium-ized two years ago but still gets mostly crap. Loews will win that market, and watch the prices soar when it does.

Mark Campbell

- posted April 17, 2006 07:36 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Dave, looking at the showtimes it seems that the Alderwood 7 still gets good bookings. It has Scary Movie 4 and Ice Age 2 which are 1 and 2 at the box office. Probably the power of Regal. Would love to get pictures of that theatre post-stadium. It had a great large THX auditorium, similar to sister Luxury Theatres build Crossroads in Bellevue. (back when Luxury Theatres finally stopped building REALLY crappy theatres).

Dave Felthous

- posted April 18, 2006 02:44 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Mark, yes, at the moment the Regal 7 in Lynnwood has two top movies, on multiple screens, and having worked there for five years before quitting in Febuary I can assure you that each movie has at least one print too many. They get more than one because they can't fill even seven screens. The second and third prints, except on weekends, often played to nearly empty houses.

I predict that Loews will get DaVinci, Superman, Pirates 2, Cars, all big spring/summer movies. Regal may get one of these. But it really has no clout in that competitive zone. Loews has consistently had huge grosses since opening a little more than a year ago, and that's where the studios want their pictures. I can't blame them, but it's sad to see my old theater take such a big back-seat. The 2004 remodeling turned out wonderfully; each theater is terrific, including the small houses in the back.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.