CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Former Signature Theatres in Stockton handled very badly by new owners:Regal Cinemas!

Author Topic: Former Signature Theatres in Stockton handled very badly by new owners:Regal Cinemas!
Floyd E. Perry, Jr.

- posted March 14, 2006 08:45 PM      Profile for Floyd E. Perry, Jr.   Email Floyd E. Perry, Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
Well it's been almost 1 year and 6 months since Regal Entertainment took over Signature Theatres in California and Hawaii and the situation locally(Stockton,CA) is not pretty. At the 16 screen Downtown City Centre Cinemas, lots of changes have occured. First,they have cut back on the number of employees at the concession stand leading to long lines. The auditoriums aren't as clean between showings like they were with Signature's ownership.The real butter on popcorn(a Signature plus) has been replaced by butter flavored oil. The Dolby Digital logo promos shown and heard just before the start of the movies are gone. At their other cinema in Stockton is even worse. The Holiday Cinema 8 on West Lane was originally planned by Signature to close just before the summer of 2004 to be remodeled with All Stadium Seating like its Downtown Cineplex.Well, the City of Stockton didn't approve the permit to remodel until late August and when Regal took over on September 30, 2004, they suspended plans of the remodel/upgrade. Just recently, they put up a new marquee and a new paintjob but that's it. I called the Holiday manager and he told me that there are no plans in the forseeable future to switch the Holiday to All Stadium Seating, yet instead of reducing the admission prices to reflect the old outdated Sloped seated Auditoriums, the nightime admission is identical to the state of the art Downtown Cineplex($9.00) while the afternoon admission is 50 cents cheaper. I guarantee you that if the Downtown Cineplex was owned by a different owner other than Regal,that Regal would have updated the Holiday with Stadium Seating A.S.A.P. Has anyone else experienced any problems involving Regal's handling of the former Signature Theatres?

|  IP: Logged

Daniel Fuentz

- posted March 15, 2006 12:51 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
On my last visit to the Signature 16 in Fresno I noticed the projection standards have started to slip. I saw plenty of bad lab splices and dirt on the print, things you never saw under Signature's ownership. They also demolished the "Cafeteria" style concession stand and replaced it with a regular concession stand. I don't know if that's good or bad as I did not buy anything.

Christopher Crouch

- posted March 15, 2006 04:25 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, the trend towards "mega" theatre conglomerates also carries the problem of business decisions being based more on numbers than people. It's a classic business philosophy shift; smaller, specialized business models focusing on customer service issues, often at the expense of the bottom line, give way to larger, broad based models that practice the inverse (ie. focus on the bottom line, at the expense of customer service).

It's a frustrating situation, as companies always seem to choose one extreme or the other, when they would surely find greater long term success with a middle ground approach; balancing quality and financial issues, rather than choosing one over the other.

Dave Felthous

- posted March 16, 2006 09:34 AM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
Regal got into a spat with Dolby last year and ordered Dolby trailers removed from its screens. The wall plaques were allowed to stay.

William French, Jr.

- posted March 17, 2006 09:55 AM      Profile for William French, Jr.   Email William French, Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
The Ukiah 6 underwent a very bad remodeling under Signature and Regal has expressed that they are not happy that original architectural details were removed. The main problem here is that the prices at the concession stand have risen dramatically. The interior is dark and uninviting as well. The stadium seating is much better that what we had before, which is a major plus. I do miss the Signature butter, it was great.

Eric Hooper

- posted March 24, 2006 01:44 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper         Edit/Delete Post 
Regal has done a great job IMO with the Jack London Cinema in Oakland, CA...

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted March 24, 2006 08:21 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They also demolished the "Cafeteria" style concession stand and replaced it with a regular concession stand.
I think it's really interesting when theatres get taken over by other chains. I like to see to what extent the new operators will go to in order to make the theatre fit into their style of business.

It's interesting to see some of the Pacific Theatres that Century took over. The full-service snack bars in some of the theatres have been removed in favor of a more streamline cafeteria style. Had Century taken over Signature, they probably would've jumped for joy to find a theatre they didn't build that already had THEIR preferred snack bar in it.

I wonder how much money has been spent over the years at some of the older theatres in Los Angeles that have bounced back and forth between chains.

ORIGINAL OWNER: "I love our nice big snack bar. It's perfect for everything we do. And the manager's office is big too, we can count money at the gigantic desk."
NEW OWNER: "Why is this snack bar so frickin big? We need a money room! We must build a money room!"
ORIGINAL OWNER AGAIN: "WTF? They tore our our snack bar and put in a money room? Hand me that sledgehammer!"

I'm also amused that when a chain takes over another theatre, most everybody involved with the new chain CANNOT comprehend how the old company managed to run the theatre.
NEW COMPANY: "OMG, what savages! How ever did they run this theatre without a ticket podium??? EVERYBODY knows that if you don't have a door-person the theatre simply CANNOT operate."

Oooh I can't wait to be part of another theatre takeover. They excite me. Can ya tell? [Wink]

Jonathan Smith

- posted May 12, 2006 08:40 AM      Profile for Jonathan Smith   Email Jonathan Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been to the Signature Escondido 16 in a while. even in the early days of when Regal first had it, it was still a nice theatre.(the first Signature theatre here didn't open till November 2003, and by then, Regal had already bought it). The Signature theatre here is pretty good, nice stadium seating, big screens, There's only been about 1 print-dropout in all of the times that I've gone there, although it might be different now.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.