HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Cineplaza 13

Author Topic: Cineplaza 13
John J. Fink

- posted February 04, 2006 03:03 PM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
It apears the Cineplaza 13 (in North Bergen, NJ) has closed again. The theater had opened as Regal Cinemas Bergen Plaza 13 in 1998, only a few months after it opened it failed to attract a crowd and became a discount house. It had managed to gain a following as the premier Bollywood theater in the country - frequently selling out house for Indian films.

Regal closed the theater soon again (late in 2000) - in 2001 it reopened as the Cineplaza 13 (run by Indian film distributer Cinecorp USA). The theater was frequently the move over house for films that played at the Columbia Park 12 (ussually after they played at the Medows 6 and Plaza 8). When the Columbia Park 12 was bought by Interstate Theaters and became a $2.00 discount house, the Cineplaza was forced to become more alternative. Freqently it showed film unseen anywhere else in New Jersey including Mysterious Skin, Dot the I, Kings and Queen, and Old Boy.

The Indian films have since then been shuffled off to the Columbia Park 12 (now owned by Star Plex they seperate the movie listings as 'Now Playing' and 'Cineplaza Movies'). I don't have any more information than that, other than that the Cineplaza apears to be closed for good.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Campbell

- posted February 05, 2006 10:41 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems odd that a 13 screen complex opened in '98 failed so miserabley. Was there direct competition in the same booking zone? Poor location? Did it have stadium seating?

John J. Fink

- posted February 05, 2006 07:18 PM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
All the above - it competed directly with two theaters (Medows 6 and Plaza 8) in Secaucus, they never shared movies. Fox for a while was opening some movies at the Bergen Plaza, I think they must have done pretty well with Theres Something About Mary - it played on three screens for two months there.

When Star Wars Episode I came out it went to Secaucus. As for location Secaucus is much better - it's located in a shoping area with cafes and such. The Bergen Plaza was located in a parking garage under a super market in an industrial neighborhood. The neighborhood has turned around a bit lately with Target opening next door.

Regal was then stupid enough to build another movie theater (with a simular set up, under a shoping center, this time the more popular Columbia Park on the other end of town). Columbia Park didn't do well as a first run house, but it since has found success with $2.00 shows.

Paul Bubny

- posted February 06, 2006 12:20 PM      Profile for Paul Bubny   Email Paul Bubny         Edit/Delete Post 
It's one of those "makes you wonder" situations. The two Loews theatres (Meadows 6 and Plaza 8) had been there for years, meaning that they were well established in a popular area--but also meaning that they ought to have been vulnerable to competition from a newer, more up-to-date theatre. Or, in Regal's case, TWO newer theatres that each failed in turn to draw bookings or customers away from the two Loews plexes.

Now a Muvico 26-screener and the Xanadu entertainment complex are supposed to open nearby sometime in 2007, and predictions are that it'll be the death knell for the two Loews/AMC sites along with other area theatres. But it ain't necessarily so; you can find any number of markets around the U.S. where older, smaller theatres have survived a megaplex invasion (along with markets where the old did give way to the new).

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.