CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Time Capsule opened River Oaks 9-10 #6132

Author Topic: Time Capsule opened River Oaks 9-10 #6132
Rachel Strong

- posted January 28, 2006 08:29 AM      Profile for Rachel Strong   Email Rachel Strong         Edit/Delete Post 
There is something fitting to the end of the River Oaks 9-10 in Calumet City. A time capsule slated to be opened on the 50th anniversary of the theater in 2019 was opened on the theater's last day this past Thursday. The AMC/Loews merger was said to have hastened the demise of the theater. With demolition scheduled to begin on the theater soon, the time capsule was opened some 13 years early. With bystanders viewing, the capsule contained what amounted to a waterlogged, soggy mess. As such, neither the theater nor its time capsule's contents quite lived up to the prospect of lasting half a century. (BTW: The final film at the River Oaks, approrpriately enough: Last Holiday.)

|  IP: Logged

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted January 28, 2006 05:01 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Dammmit -- I was hoping that one would last long enough for the merger to go through so I could contact AMC for permission to photograph once the dust settled.

I reallllly wanted to get good detailed pics of this place -- it looks amazingly original. And there aren't too many of these old Loews buildings hanging around anymore.

River Oaks 9-10

Matt Lutthans

- posted August 07, 2013 01:04 PM      Profile for Matt Lutthans   Email Matt Lutthans         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got color slides of the exterior and interior, some in 3-D.

Matt

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.