CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Is the Beverly Center 13 closing? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Is the Beverly Center 13 closing?
Mark Campbell

- posted January 21, 2006 06:24 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
The Loews Cineplex ad in the LA Times shows the Beverly Center 13 as having only matinee shows for all screens on Thursday, January 26th. Does this mean that the theater is closing or are they using that evening to reconfigure as an AMC? I doubt the latter because none of the other Loews Cineplex theatres in LA are closed Thursday evening.

|  IP: Logged

Jason Carr

- posted January 21, 2006 09:09 PM      Profile for Jason Carr   Email Jason Carr         Edit/Delete Post 
How interesting that you ask this. Just yesterday, the SF Chronicle confirmed that H&M would be opening up it's first SoCal store at the Beverly Center this fall. (For those who dont know, H&M is a Swedish retail selling very trendy rags a cheap prices. It has such a huge following--me included).

After reading the article, I concluded that the only place that could fit an H&M would be the Loews Cinemas. Their stores range from 15,000 sq to about 50,000 sq ft.--don't know how big the theatre is but I'm sure it's at least 15,000 sq ft.

So it sounds to me like the theatre will be no more.

Jeff Arellano

- posted January 22, 2006 09:42 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Could be, or they could be building downstairs. There are several empty large spots on level 7.

Ron Pierce

- posted January 22, 2006 05:34 PM      Profile for Ron Pierce   Email Ron Pierce         Edit/Delete Post 
Update on Beverly Center fron LA OBSERVED.
http://www.laobserved.com/index.html

Ron Newman

- posted January 22, 2006 05:36 PM      Profile for Ron Newman   Email Ron Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
In LA, you get movie ads with a whole week's worth of showtimes? That never happens here in Boston.

Even if the Beverly Center is closing for good, seems a strange choice to close it in the middle of the day instead of after the last evening show.

You probably already know that this was Cineplex's first location in the US, several years before they merged with Odeon.

Ron Newman

- posted January 23, 2006 05:47 AM      Profile for Ron Newman   Email Ron Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
Loew's Fresh Pond in Cambridge, MA is also closing early on Thursday, January 26. No shows start after 7:45 pm, according to EnjoyTheShow.com .

How many other Loew's theatres are closing early this Thursday?

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted January 23, 2006 08:35 AM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
in yesterday's(Sunday) Los Angeles Times,ALL the L.A. Loews/Cineplex theatres had showtimes listed up until Thursday.

But,yeah,Beverly Center has only afternoon shows listed.

Odd,that,since Beverly Center isn't on the AMC/Loews sale block.

Mark Campbell

- posted January 23, 2006 09:03 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Ron Pierce's web link above claims that the theater will indeed close on the 26th, to reopen after a remodel as a Mann Theatre. If this is true, how big of a remodel will take place? Can Mann make this theatre competitive to The Grove? In my opinion they should gut the place and start with a clean slate, perhaps without shoving so many screens in such a small place.

Ron Newman

- posted January 23, 2006 09:08 AM      Profile for Ron Newman   Email Ron Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
Fresh Pond is also not on the divestment list. I checked the showtimes of all five Loew's theatres that are on that list, and none of them are closing early on Thursday.

Chris Utley

- posted January 23, 2006 11:21 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I missing something? Is the AMC/Loews merger scheduled to be finalized on Thursday the 26th - which would explain the early theatre closures?

I'm kinda shocked to hear that Mann is taking over the Beverly Center...then again, with the Century City 15 just a few miles down the road, AMC would have been overscreened on the Westside. Hopefully Mann will do a good job.

Ron Newman

- posted January 23, 2006 11:56 AM      Profile for Ron Newman   Email Ron Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
The January 26-27 date was reported at CinemaTreasures. I don't know how reliable the report is, but I've also seen a couple of blogs that mention this date.

So far, these are the only two early Thursday closures I've run across. I've looked up a number of other Loews theatres (including all five on the divestment list), and they aren't closing early that day.

Mark Campbell

- posted January 23, 2006 02:31 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Do the divested theatres have to be sold by the 27th or just be up for sale?

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted January 24, 2006 07:18 AM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
So,the Beverly Center theatres are going to be Mann,huh?

It'll be thier first time back in Beverly Hills since they lost thier lease,or let it expire,on the Fine Arts theatre in the '80s and let Laemmle take over before Checci-Gori/AMC did.

Now i see the Fine Arts in the indie section of the LA Times,usually with no shows listed.

Dave Felthous

- posted January 24, 2006 06:47 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the theaters Loews has been ordered to sell is the Meridian 16 in Seattle. It shows a full schedule for Thursday, 1/26. My understanding is that, while the court has ordered both Loews and AMC to divest themselves of certain theaters, the companies will need about four months after a sale is made to complete the transaction. So nothing is going to happen in the next few minutes, that's for sure.

Bill Gabel

- posted January 25, 2006 07:50 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It'll be thier first time back in Beverly Hills since they lost thier lease, or let it expire, on the Fine Arts theatre in the 80s
Mann Theatres let the lease expire and Laemmle took over the theatre and operated it with the nearby Music Hall. Which at the time the Music Hall was a single screen. When Laemmle Theatres operated the theatre the projectionist job became a shared job. He would go back and forth to run the shows (platter house).
During that time Mann Theatres were letting old single screen leases expire. The only exception of the leases in Westwood, California. I've worked for Mann Theatres and Laemmle Theatres. Mann will have a nice job cut out for them in making those theatres usable.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.