CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Martin >>> Carmike (Astro Twin Question)

Author Topic: Martin >>> Carmike (Astro Twin Question)
Michael Coate

- posted October 05, 2005 01:37 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone familiar with the history of Martin and Carmike Theatres? Did these companies merge, or was one acquired by the other?

Anyway, I have a question about a place called the Astro Twin in Greenville, South Carolina. Anyone familiar? I'm trying to determine which company operated the theatre in 1984.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel

- posted October 05, 2005 04:55 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
Astro Twin was operated by Martin back in 1981.

[ October 07, 2005, 07:15 AM: Message edited by: Bill Gabel ]

Michael Coate

- posted October 06, 2005 08:35 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that hardly answers my question, Bill!!!

Raymond Stewart

- posted October 07, 2005 09:04 AM      Profile for Raymond Stewart   Email Raymond Stewart         Edit/Delete Post 
Martin was started by the Martin Family years ago. C.H. Martin was a big mover in the industry at one point. Look at some of the Cinerama info and you'll see him listed. The Seattle Cinerama site has some info on him. In the late 60's, as best I can recall he sold the chain to Fuqua Indsutries.(they also own Snapper lawnmowers) Carl & Mike Patrick ran the show for Martin and later bought the chain from Fuqua and renamed it Carmike. They were a couple of old time Columbus, GA guys who set up a group of investors to buy the company and proceeded to get caught up in the expansion runup and ended up in bankruptcy. At one point Carmike was a shining star in the stock market.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.