Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » another drive in bites the dust

Author Topic: another drive in bites the dust
Bob Golding
(Bob passed away in September 2005)

- posted April 13, 2005 12:12 PM      Profile for Bob Golding   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Golding         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone, We here at the Marysville Drive In are losing our lease after 27 years. It's the same thing as all drive ins are going through now. The property is being bought by a developer and the drive in is gone. I personally have had it with this problem all drive ins are facing. It's about time that drive in's where put on the ENDANGERED SPECIES LIST. I'm going to just retire and raises as much hell as possible about this developement. It's not about those of use who run these little pieces of Americana, It's about the loss of them altogether. I'm just tired of this happening to them. My URL is http://marysvilledrivein.com. Take a look and see our little piece of history while we are still here.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Utley

- posted September 15, 2005 09:37 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Very sad news to report...

Bob Golding has passed away.

http://tinyurl.com/dlonl

Before his untimely passing, he was planning to keep his drive-in open through October before the developers drove him off the property. He literally fought the good fight till his last breath.

R.I.P. Bob

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted September 15, 2005 10:43 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
This is indeed sad news. Bob was a kind person and gave Brad and myself a tour of the drive-in in May 2004. The tour photos are located on the Marysville Drive-In page and Brad will be adding more by tomorrow morning. When the additional photos get uploaded, we will re-feature the drive-in on the main page.

The newspapers website took forever to load, so I've reproduced Chris' link below:

From the Appeal-Democrat:
quote:
Owner of Y-S drive-in found dead

By Eve Hightower/Appeal-Democrat

Robert Golding, owner of the Marysville Drive-In Theater, died Tuesday.

Sutter County Undersheriff Bill Grove said the cause of Golding's death will not be known until an autopsy is performed.

A friend of Golding's found him dead at about 4 p.m. near his Kubota tractor at his home on Butte Avenue in Sutter.

Golding was 59 years old.

Robert Golding had run the Marysville Drive-In Theater since 1978. The drive-in, which has been in operation since 1966, is one of about 20 such facilities left in California.

While Golding owned the drive-in facilities, he did not own the land on which the drive-in is located. The property's owners want to sell the land, which is located off the west side of Highway 70 near Erle Road in Olivehurst.

The Marysville Drive-In was expected to close Oct. 30, but a message left on the theater's answering machine says it is not going to close. Golding had planned to keep the theater open as long as possible by leasing the property month-to-month starting in November.

"We're refusing to walk away from it," the message states.

Steve Swanson

- posted September 19, 2005 08:53 AM      Profile for Steve Swanson   Email Steve Swanson         Edit/Delete Post 
I had the pleasure of knowing Bob for 6 years. I usually make a trip down south once a year. Since the big debate on when the drive-in will close, not if. I had changed my LA road trip to make 2 stops in Marysville. I saw Bob on 8/23 and the last time on 9/3 (Labor Day weekend) While Bob was quite upset in April, he soon realized that myabe this was a blessing in disguise. Business was down the last couple of years, and he felt he had a good run the last 30 years. Then after I got back from my trip, he did a '180' and wanted to keep going 'til they kicked him out. That's the kind of guy Bob was, a fighter to the very end.
They did open up last weekend in his memory. I'm not sure what's going to happen next. We will miss you Bob.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.