CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Westside Pavilion Theatres (Los Angeles)

Author Topic: Westside Pavilion Theatres (Los Angeles)
Steven Rood

- posted September 19, 2005 07:55 AM      Profile for Steven Rood   Email Steven Rood         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if it had been discussed here yet, but the 4-plex in the WSP mall is being shut down in the near future as they are closing the entire West side of the outside mall (W. of Barnes and Noble) to open a 12-15 (i hear) screen multiplex. However, it is supposed to only be for art house films (similar to the 4-plex) and not another main stream movie house. (We already have too many of those w/in a 2 mile radius). Not sure when construction is supposed to start but i've heard within the year.

http://www.cinematour.com/tour.php?db=us&id=2121
I notice it does not have a photo up. I could probably take a picture and submit it.

Stevo

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel

- posted September 22, 2005 09:07 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
That story has been around for a few years, about adding a large plex to the west section of the mall were the old Picwood Theatre stood.

Jason Carr

- posted November 26, 2005 01:50 PM      Profile for Jason Carr   Email Jason Carr         Edit/Delete Post 
The last I heard, construction is to start this fall. I have not visited the mall in months, so I cant vouch for any activities.

Here are some info I got from Variety on the new theater:
*14 screens
*seating capacity of 175 to 300 for 8 auditoriums
*seating capacity of 100 for remaining 6 auditoriums
*these smaller theaters would offer plush seats and a "sceening
room" ambience
*total seating 2300 (compare to 850 in the current 4-plex)
*phase I will only inclue 12 sceens
*phase II will add 2 more screens
*the theatre will also have a wine/beer lounge-no movie tix
needed for admission
*construction should last 14 months
*once completed, it'd be the largest "arthouse" in the world

the link below has a picture of the new complex and more info
http://www.wncla.org/static/success/landmark.htm

Jason Carr

- posted December 03, 2005 03:57 PM      Profile for Jason Carr   Email Jason Carr         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got back from the Westside Pavilion and there were no sign of construction anywhere.

Also dropped by Westfield Century City and the AMC 15 is coming along nicely. They are putting some finishing touches for the December 12th premiere of "The Producer".

BTW, the new food court next to AMC is very nice and modern--lots of glass and steel, plus some wood to give it warmth. They also have live jazz and a great view of the Century City skyline.

Steven Rood

- posted January 15, 2006 11:36 AM      Profile for Steven Rood   Email Steven Rood         Edit/Delete Post 
Its starting...

Walked into Barnes and Noble the other day and the place is almost bare of books. They were having a huge sale on most books and the shelves were almost empty.

stevo

Jeff Arellano

- posted January 16, 2006 06:38 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
its also up on the WP Website:

http://www.westsidepavilion.com/about_us/redevelopment

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted January 18, 2006 07:35 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Will the rooftop parking still suck?

Mark Campbell

- posted January 19, 2006 12:51 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Question is: Will the new theatre still have flies like the old one? (Every time I see a movie here there is a fly buzzing around in the projector beam!)

Bill Gabel

- posted January 19, 2006 04:31 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot all about the fly problem.

Scott

Yes, the rooftop parking will suck still.

Jeff Arellano

- posted January 19, 2006 04:37 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, Im sure they will have to move them to hte new theatre.

Mark Campbell

- posted March 23, 2007 10:27 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like the final weekend at for the Westside Pavilion Cinemas. All titles in the Landmark Theatres ad in the LA Times state "Ends Sunday!". Final titles are "Into Great Silence", "The Lives of Others", "Amazing Grace" and "The Queen".

The ad also features: "Coming June 2007: THE LANDMARK • 12 Brand New Screens • Free Parking • Wine Bar • Stadium Seating • Adjacent to Westside Pavillion"

I am not really going to miss the old Westside Pavillion Cinemas. Although the place booked great art house and foreign films, it always smelled kind of funny, had small screens (especially for scope), and, of course, the flies. I do think it would be a good place to keep open and book family films considering its proximity to the adjacent neighborhoods, but I don't think they can play day and date with the Century City 15.

Jason Carr

- posted April 03, 2007 09:51 PM      Profile for Jason Carr   Email Jason Carr         Edit/Delete Post 
It's official, the new Landmark 12 plex will open on June 1 (less than 2 months way!). The company just put up a new website with a photo and narration tour of the new place. It looks more like a nightclub than a movie theater, but really looking forward to it. Check it out.

http://www.landmarktheatres.com/thelandmarkwestla/

Chris Utley

- posted April 04, 2007 08:47 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like they're trying to outdo Arclight and The Bridge in one fell swoop.

Brad Erickson

- posted April 10, 2007 04:08 PM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll probably never go to the Landmark 12 since I live near the Arclight and down the street from Sunset 5. My main theatres I frequent are the Village, National, Bruin, Chinese, Arclight, and Sunset 5.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.